Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 10:00   #1
BHPian

New traffic rules in Delhi

I was watching some news channel yesterday and there was a special program about new traffic rules in Delhi. They have increased the fines for all offenses and a serial offender could loose his DL as well. They come up with a new idea to punch holes in the DL and after some holes, the DL stands cancelled.

Some of the fines that i remember -
Jumping Red signal - 600
Smoking while driving - 1500 (That is real strange one and i thought it was legal to smoke when u drive)
Cellphone - 1500

I feel that this would increase the corruption instead of solving the issues. People would prefer to pay 100-200 to constable rather pay a hefty fine. According to new rules, even a head constable can issue a challan.

So, guys what do you think? Is it good to have hefty fines like in UK or should we educate people of better driving manners.
Old 10th April 2007, 10:18   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
I feel that this would increase the corruption instead of solving the issues. People would prefer to pay 100-200 to constable rather pay a hefty fine. According to new rules, even a head constable can issue a challan..
It will definetly increase the corruption, but in some way reduce accidents with more people obeying the traffic rules. People now can't just get away by giving Rs50 for breaking traffic law of Rs 600, so they will try to avoid that to happen at first place than lossing Rs 100-200 or paying for challan.

Yesterday, Delhi Traffic collected a total of Rs 18 lacs of challans.
Old 10th April 2007, 10:26   #3
BHPian

I think this is already under discussion
Old 10th April 2007, 10:54   #4
BHPian

Most of us in Delhi dont mind the new strict laws except for one which is banning sunfilms. When you need to drive in temperatured going beyong 45 degrees you need the sunfilm. People in Delhi (like me) have already paid extra money to get RTO approved sunfilms 70% visibility but that too is now unacceptable.And ofcourse the cops are minting a lot of money.
Old 10th April 2007, 10:58   #5
BHPian

no smoking while driving ???

thats when i enjoy it the most. some relaxed music playing and me cruising along lazily. that law is really bad.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:02   #6
BHPian

And I seriously dont understand the basis of this rule about no smoking while driving . Is it to do something about you holding a ciggi in one hand makes you loose control of the car in a sudden bad situation??
Old 10th April 2007, 11:10   #7
BHPian

i guess that must be the logic behind the rule. nothing else makes sense.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
And I seriously dont understand the basis of this rule about no smoking while driving . Is it to do something about you holding a ciggi in one hand makes you loose control of the car in a sudden bad situation??
Well .. my friend driving on his bike got his shirt spoiled when a hand carrying ciggerate was resting on the window. Mr. sophisticated did not even noticed what has happened .. a big hole in the shirt.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

It will definetly increase the corruption, but in some way reduce accidents with more people obeying the traffic rules. People now can't just get away by giving Rs50 for breaking traffic law of Rs 600, so they will try to avoid that to happen at first place than lossing Rs 100-200 or paying for challan.

Living in Delhi since birth (except for 3 years outside), this is definitely correct. What will happen is a drive for a week when corruption will decline, unlicensed/impounded (on paper only) vehicles may go off the roads. After the drive, when things settle, the bribes will go up from Rs. 50 for a 100 offence to Rs. 300-400 for a 600 offence. Regarding Lutyens Zone no parking, I drive thru Congress HQ on Akbar Road every day, and there is always cars parked there upto 3 levels on the road. Yesterday also there were cars parked. Every 2-3 days on Lutyens roads, from Dhaula Kuan to India Gate, there is a stoppage for 5 mins, just because some very very corrupt person has to go.

I think the traffic rules in Delhi and the rest of the country do not apply to corrupt, politicians, all people with Government whether Central or State, Military, the rich. What is the point of any Court passing orders, when no one is going to implement it. The problem in India in any field is not adequate laws, but near absence of any enforcement.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Well .. my friend driving on his bike got his shirt spoiled when a hand carrying ciggerate was resting on the window. Mr. sophisticated did not even noticed what has happened .. a big hole in the shirt.
Thats like an accident maan...it is like one of the side effects. My apologies to your friend on behalf of all the smoking drivers . But you friend might have gotten the shirt burn from anyone sitting in the car( not necessarily the driver) so the law doesnt guarantee that it wont happen to him again
Old 10th April 2007, 11:42   #11
BHPian

Thats bad for smokers, Although I do not smoke..I do know how relaxing a smoke can be inside a car!!!
Punching holes in the DL......well these so called gaurdians of LAW are gonna misuse it to the MAX.....Threaten to put a hole or pay up money to avoid putting a hole in the DL ....... THe money they get is for their personal use......
Old 10th April 2007, 11:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Thats like an accident maan...it is like one of the side effects. My apologies to your friend on behalf of all the smoking drivers . But you friend might have gotten the shirt burn from anyone sitting in the car( not necessarily the driver) so the law doesnt guarantee that it wont happen to him again
Ya its an accident.. but when you are aware that its ( smoking in car ) is prohibited. These occurrences will reduce. And who knows the fag he is using is a normal one or a !@#$

P.S : I was lucky to escape ( pillion ). It was the driver who was smoking.
Old 10th April 2007, 12:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
And I seriously dont understand the basis of this rule about no smoking while driving
The basis is very simple! Do one thing at a time. When you are driving, do just that
Old 10th April 2007, 13:47   #14
BHPian

Makes sense

Hi guys, I have been in the UK and i must say that just comparing hefty fines to that of theirs is not right. People there get DL after a long procedure which tests their driving skills and road etiquettes to the max but here we see 14-15 year old driving, talk about legal age and danger to others. All they know is to change gears,etc.but nothing about lane driving. As such we as motorists, unlike them in UK do not respect other people's right of way.

Delhi Police has taken a number of steps in recent past like drives, etc,which have had a small short term effect, like no drinking on new years eve,etc. I think increasing of fines is a good measure of ensuring that the erring drivers will think twice before they err. Those who want to break rules will do even if fine is Rs.1000. Just think about it..if we see a red light and no policeman we all are tempted to cross it..arent we??? I, as my gesture to other peoples and my safety always wear a helmet, seat belt, drive in lane, never jump redlight and will also ensure that my child doesnt drive a vehicle till he is legally qualified to.

We all cant be perfect but in small manners can contribute to road safety.

btw..i remember the earlier DL used to have i think 5 concentric circles which were supposed to be punched by police on every challan. % punches mean cancellation of licence. They are going to reinstate it i guess.

My belief is why pay 500 or as a matter of fact even 50rs if you can carry all proper documents, and drive as a sensible human being and not show off by jumping lanes, etc. and those of you who think I am an old man with idealistic views, I am just 25yrs old guy.

I think reinforcement is a good measure that delhi police has adopted.
cutdcrap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2007, 14:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
The basis is very simple! Do one thing at a time. When you are driving, do just that
well then they would say dont listen to Hard Metal or Hip Hop in the car or they can just ban music systems from the cars. Do one thing at a time. When you are driving, do just that

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Y And who knows the fag he is using is a normal one or a !@#$
Now come on navdeep yaar...no one smokes a joint in the car maan (at least i dont) . Being under the influence (be it alcohol or anything herbal or chemical ) while you are driving is a punishable offense already. Lets not mix smoking with drinking and driving and all that stuff.

Most Viewed