Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 11:06   #136
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Voted for Tata Nexon EV.

It was a tough call between the Mahindra Thar and the Tata Nexon EV. With my brother picking up the Thar a few weeks back and having driven it extensively, it was tough call. Especially considering how the Thar has improved (in leaps and bounds) in comparison to the car it replaces. It truly deserves the throne.

But I feel Nexon EV deserves the vote. Because it's the harbinger of affordable EV tech. There is no denying that EVs are the future, but until Tata came out with the Nexon EV, practical & proper EVs were out of reach for most Indians. Now we can easily put it on the list if you're looking for cars that fit in the budget that encompasses City/Creta/Seltos.

But looking at the sheer number of votes it's gonna be the Thar and as I said it truly deserves it.
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 11:06   #137
BHPian

I haven't driven most of the cars on this list. On paper though my vote goes to the nexon EV. Safe, silent, automatic and green makes it a great city car. It may not be perfect but more importantly it has started the EV revolution in the Indian mass market.

The "car company of the year" would surely go to TATA with Harrier automatic, Altroz and Nexon EV all of which offer great value, design and safety in their respective segments. I find my personal opinion of TATA motors changing for the better from 2019 to 20.
NT56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 11:21   #138
BHPian

As soon as I saw the thread , I thought it was not a contest, especially in the Team BHP.

The Legendary Thar , all the way, would be my pick, just like the majority and Tata Nexon (EV) comes second for me .

Why Thar ?

There are tonnes of messages around as to why Thar should be the TBHP COtY - how Mahindra's almost perfected attempt to redefine a lifestyle vehicle into a family car for obvious reasons and the success it achieved is itself a good marker.

Nexon (EV) for Tata's bold attempt to plonk the e-motor into its latest smash-hit vehicle, Nexon- whose built quality and finesse is on its way to achieve a legendary status- and its ecofriendly approach needs applaud, unless , god forbid, the lethargic and pathetic attitude of the Sales/Service Teams fails them .

I would have chosen Nissan Magnite , but it is too early to talk about , given the lack of safety ratings . But this car has the capacity to break the barriers of the segments and can push the buyers from one segment to jump to others, given the VFM it offers.

Hope Nissan would not miss the opportunity.

Last edited by poised2drive : 4th December 2020 at 11:33.
Old 4th December 2020, 11:22   #139
BHPian

Was torn between Altroz, Sonet and Thar though I haven't driven any of these three. Finally voted Altroz for safety, knowing fully well that this is not an enthusiast's car but rather a mass market car. I believe for potential buyers of this segment of cars, safety should outscore performance. Thar has come a long way but it still caters to a very niche segment of customers. For Kia brand, I am not sure about its long term ownership scenario, even though on paper, Sonet does stand out as a champ.
Old 4th December 2020, 11:27   #140
BHPian

Voted for the Magnite because I'm expecting big things from this beauty. I hope it lives up to expectations and changes the automotive scene in 2021 and beyond!
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 11:34   #141
BHPian

People who voted for Altroz may not have looked at what the Magnite offers compared to Altroz.

I agree it is a 5 star crash rated car. But apart from than Nissan Magnite beats Altroz in almost all areas IMO.

Have a look at the comparison here

Tata Altroz 1.2 XZ (O) vs Nissan Magnite XV Turbo

https://www.autocarindia.com/compare...-revotron-xz(o)

Some differences I found after a quick look at both the brochures.

Altroz

(+)
  • Front sliding armrest
  • Cooled glove box
  • Auto headlamps
  • Rain sensing wipers
  • 5 star crash rating
  • Corner stability control on all variants

(-)
  • NO AUTOMATIC?
  • No Traction control, ESP?
  • No hill start assist
  • Only R14 tyres on lower variants
  • Rear wash only on top variant
  • Anti-glare IRVM only on top two variants
  • Only 2 speakers on lower trims
Magnite
(+)
  • CVT, Turbo Petrol engine with better power and Torque than Altroz
  • Better ground clearance
  • Wider cabin
  • Antipinch windows for driver
  • 60:40 split on rear seat
  • ESP, TC standard on Turbo variants.
  • Rear wiper even on base variant
  • All power windows even on base variants
  • Anti-glare IRVM on all variants
  • 6 speakers on all variants
  • Rear armrest with cup holders
  • Wireless apple carplay
  • Front led lights with led fog lamps
  • R16 wheels even on base variant

(-)
  • Not crash tested yet

Last edited by Godzilla : 4th December 2020 at 11:58.
Godzilla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 11:42   #142
BHPian

I cannot vote but if I could, my vote will be for the Honda City. It's one car that can hold against the rising popularity of the Crossovers. IMO, Honda has made the 5th Gen City a very compelling package and ticks all the boxes for a buyer (space, features, comfort, practicality, reliability and after sales) who is not hell bent on having only higher ground clearance. It has scored 5 stars in ASEAN NCAP and my guess is it will have similar or 4 stars in GNCAP.
Old 4th December 2020, 11:51   #143
Team-BHP Support

Interesting voting pattern.

Top three votes are to an Indian company product.

The 4th is surprisingly a Nissan product, although I suspect that might be because of the unimaginable price disruption they have thrown into the Indian market. That is a cracking factor but I personally would fall shy of putting in a COTY vote where the overwhelming reason is price. This is assuming of course that I am correct in attributing the price factor to the vote and not for other reasons of merit).
Old 4th December 2020, 11:52   #144
BHPian

Voted for the Altroz. My contenders were Nexon EV and Thar along with Altroz. Thar is a pure fun to drive car. Nexon EV is extremely good and ahead of its time. But a Car of the Year should consider not only the enthusiasts but also the normal average Indian family man who aspires to own a car. Thus I voted for the Altroz (the 1.5 diesel would be the preferred option).

Its good and surprising to see that all the top 3 cars are from Indian manufacturers. Tata having 2 out of top 3 cars clearly shows the progress that the PV division has made.
Old 4th December 2020, 11:58   #145
BHPian

Voted for Thar.
With all its -ve's about interior ergonomics, I like its stance , 4-STAR safety and a very good go-anyway nature.
Old 4th December 2020, 12:03   #146
BHPian

Voted for Thar! The new Thar actually redefined its segment, it's now a lot more desirable & a strong contender for a dally drive vehicle especially with Petrol & auto variants. Hadn't my current car been just 2yr old, Thar would have been on my list.
Old 4th December 2020, 12:08   #147
BHPian

Torn Between options this year. My Heart would like to like to vote for Thar but it is far from ideal/single car for a family. If I could vote, I would have gone with with Honda City as it seems to tick most of the boxes for me.
Old 4th December 2020, 12:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Shocking !! Hyundai Aura in the list? How come it qualifies for Coty? Just because it launched this year? I can't even see it on roads here in Pune, very hard to find.

Voted for Altroz. It's The Best Looking hatch in India now and Tata has nailed it as a complete package. Hopefully they will get powerful petrol heart soon. Kia Sonet was close but it's pricy for me for what it offers and is somewhat cramped at back.

I know many people voting for Thar but for me it's not up to the mark. It's good but still lots of things are missing or could have been better. Can't buy it as a primary family car at home. Just 2 weeks back, my friend bought Brezza though he liked Thar. You simply can't have Thar as a daily family car.
Old 4th December 2020, 12:13   #149
BHPian

Voted for Mahindra Thar !

The heart loves it "Dil Se" and craves to own it ! But the brain sitting over the shoulder doesn't allow !
Old 4th December 2020, 12:19   #150

I cannot vote but if I could I would go for the Tata Altroz. I love the way it looks and its very impressive that it gets a 5 star safety rating. Yes, it the petrol engine is a bit disappointing, but I think the turbo petrol that is yet to come out will be a fun car to drive.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks