Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 21:55   #211
MMV
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Voted for Thar, this version is a leap ahead in all aspects and not just a face-lift or engine upgrade or some similar work around. Focus safety is commendable

IMO runners up include Tata twins (Altroz and Nexon EV) both have set new benchmarks in their own segements, safest hatch and practical EV
Old 5th December 2020, 22:00   #212
BHPian

My vote goes for THAR.

Of the list, it was easy to:
Strike off Hyundai and Kia due to unsafe ratings even after charging too much.
MG did not ring bells for me.
Skoda and Range Rovers, I like but long term service horror stories put me off.
BMW 2 series and Audi Q2 too does not ring any bells.
Honda City was an aspirational vehicle, now, not any more

That leaves with Mahindra and Tata.
Altroz for small family car with 5 start ratings and Nexon EV new technology for masses did tempt me.
BUT THAR pulled all the strings even though I would not buying it.

Last edited by kozhissery : 5th December 2020 at 22:01. Reason: Spell check done.
Old 5th December 2020, 22:06   #213
BHPian

Voted for MG ZS EV.

Our hearts may not want electrics, but I think it is time to acknowledge these cars and follow our mind simply for their contribution to the environment. I liked MG’s styling of ZS compared to Hector. Compared to Kona, this car offers much more and feels properly premium. Appreciate MG for its efforts to go green even though they are relatively newbie to India.
Old 5th December 2020, 22:22   #214
BHPian

Voted for Thar.

I would not be owning one though, even if I had the budget. But out of all the options, I say this one is a real update. Mahindra has really come quite far and setting a benchmark for their own products.

Also, among the options provided, nothing is really enthusiast oriented and interesting.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2020 at 04:48. Reason: Grammar
ankitsharma is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th December 2020, 22:32   #215
BHPian

Voted Tata Nexon EV.

Nexon EV is relatively cheap and has plenty of sales for an EV. As more people buy EVs, the necessary infrastructure for the same should also improve. I daresay the Nexon EV is driving the EV revolution in India!

Nexon EV is a game-changer for the Indian EV landscape, and by extension the entire Indian car-scene.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 00:29   #216
BHPian

I voted for Thar -Why?
I am not in the market for a car now, I am very much happy with my Nexon. But, if I were to get to market to buy one, the option infront of me would be to first chose between EV & normal fuel. My choice would be normal fuel now as the charging infrastructure is not good enough in India as of today and we are at least 5 years away from a decent infra being built. This leaves out the brilliant Nexon out of the competition for me. MG's cars are never in my consideration.

Now, the choice would be between the body style.
Hatchback --> My choices are Altroz & new i20 (in that order of preference). i20 takes the second position because of the maintenance cost of Hyundais compared to Tatas; else, both are brilliant.
Sedan --> City.
SUV style --> Thar & Sonet.

Now the winner is Thar over Sonet as I am not finding that Sonet can be called as an SUV or CSUV. Thar is a brilliant evolution is over it's previous generation. This can be used for a daily commute to office as well. Not just bare bones any more. It is a proper entertainment vehicle. I was watching new Range Rover video where they were testing it's 4 X 4 capability and that feel you get when you are inside a RR is something at a different level (for me). Now, watching the videos of new Thar is also giving me a great feeling like that. Hence my vote is for Thar.

Other cars are not considered.
Nissan Magnite - No Nissan/ Renault. Except duster, I do not see it to be a good brand to be considered.
Hyundai Aura - didn't like the interiors and feels cramped
Hyundai Creta- this is on overpriced car
Kia Carnival - It is overpriced (for me) and at this price range, I may consider something different
Skoda/ VW - I may not buy Skoda/ VW in near future as I am not a good negotiator and I am sure if an issue comes, I will not be able to handle it with the OEM & dealer. Let them first improve their attitude and let the complaints come down. Then I will start considering Skoda/ VW cars.

The great ones like an RR Evoque/ Audi/ BMW are not considered as I can't afford one. These are all great cars, by any yardstick, it is just that I can't afford it, so for me (only me, no offense meant to owners) they are not eligible for COTYs.

(Disclaimer: I have not tested any of the vehicles in this list. My choice and vote is purely based on the video reviews and heart over head decision kind. But seriously, if I have to buy a car now, I will buy Thar, no second question on that. If I win a lottery and I decide to waste that money on a car, then it is going to be RR Evoque, else, it will be Thar which I can afford without winning a lottery).

Last edited by Jakku : 6th December 2020 at 00:40. Reason: add content
Old 6th December 2020, 05:29   #217
Senior - BHPian

I am actually curious about the votes for Altroz. Its a nice looking, certified safe car , but what else? Powerplant/ performance is just par for the course or tad inferior to competitors like Polo/ I20. I suspect even the Baleno wpuld outperform a petrol Altroz in terms of power to weight.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 06:54   #218
Senior - BHPian

Three aspirants for me. Each with their own positives and negatives.

Thar: Mahindra did a Wrangler and how! The icing on the cake was the 4-star GNCAP rating making a strong case for BOF bad boys. Would have been my pick except for three reasons. The niche market it caters to, zero boot space and the screwed up interiors for the people at the back (atrocious footwell), renders it a two person car.

Nexon EV: A mass market EV finally comes to town. And it is a homegrown one on an existing ICE car with the second highest GNCAP rating in the country. The negatives include the not-so-high range (240-250 is passable) and the glitches (still early days for EV in India). The other reason why it didn't get my vote is because it's again a niche market.

Altroz: A through car for the masses and although its petrol is lacklustre in performance, it's adequate. 6000+ people month on month seem to think so. Funky and futuristic looks, great aspirations, great ride quality and tremendous safety on an all-new platform. Affordable too. The turbo, the DCT and the EV are on their way. Makes it a tremendous success story. So, that's my pick from three hot contenders.

Last edited by discoverwild : 6th December 2020 at 06:59.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 07:03   #219
BHPian

Voted for the Altroz. As much as I like the Thar, as many have already pointed out, it’s not a car for everyone. Altroz on the other hand is such an achievement for Tatas, leaps ahead of their past attempts. The harbinger of ALFA platform on which they’ll base a ton of their upcoming vehicles (pun intended), a 5-star rated car (Polo can’t outscore Altroz and that car is SOLID) , *stunning* looks and a Diesel engine (even if retuned) that pulls like a whipped horse on drugs. And a mature ride that ties all this together. Ever since I drove one, that’s been my recommendation to anyone looking for a daily driver with odd highway trip.

Nexon EV is good. But it’s still undercooked. And EVs aren’t becoming my COTY unless they pass the mass barrier. ~600 kms range, reliable battery life etc.

Thar is outstanding. But not everyone’s cuppa tea. Magnite we simply don’t know enough to be voting for.

Last edited by Annibaddh : 6th December 2020 at 07:07.
Old 6th December 2020, 07:10   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am actually curious about the votes for Altroz. Its a nice looking, certified safe car , but what else? Powerplant/ performance is just par for the course or tad inferior to competitors like Polo/ I20. I suspect even the Baleno wpuld outperform a petrol Altroz in terms of power to weight.
Exactly it does not even get ESP, TC, Hill assist, sunroof like the Nexon does. Nexon makes much more sense for a slight premium. The engine is not powerful and it does not have automatic.

I really don’t understand why Altroz is hyped by BHPians. Am I not getting it ?
Godzilla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 07:45   #221
BHPian

Voted Altroz.
I was really confused between the New Gen THAR and the ALTROZ.
For me the Car of the Year should go to a model which should standout in terms of Value, Features, Safety.
My mantra is do one thing - but do it right.
Now I am sure I don’t need to explain why THAR. Its summarized already here and in many other threads on TBhp already.
But hear me out on Altroz. This model came at a time where Tata did not have a strong competitor in this segment, Impact 2 design language was clearly evident, Tata had surely updated the game. I had actually considered this very closely during my Nios purchase and the only deal breaker was lack of Auto otherwise it would have been Altroz for me eyes closed. Sit inside the car and the interiors are quite savvy. Sound system, wide opening doors, the diesel cars performance, stability and ride quality are way above the current competitors. Safety rating for Altroz was a strong advertisement in itself.
Old 6th December 2020, 11:41   #222

Hi, what's the criteria to be eligible for voting in the polls? Not sure why I am not eligible to vote in any of the recent polls, while earlier this was not the case. Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 12:04   #223
BHPian

I have voted for Sonet. Yes, I understand that there have been question marks raised on Kia's safety aspect but do bear in mind that they have absolutely shaken the market with their CUV. You have a wide range of engine and transmission options. So, well done to Kia for giving a wide range of options to the consumers and it's up to the consumers to make an informed decision.
Old 6th December 2020, 12:08   #224
BHPian

I was confused between the Magnite and Altroz, nothing came in between. The THAR is a great contender but I think it's slightly overpriced.

If the Altroz had launched in it's all Avatars including an AT, proper engine combinations etc. I would have gone with the Altroz. But the Magnite, the newest kid in the block deserves the car of the year 2020 award for the sheer package it offers.

If I am asked to rate both in a count of 10, I would give Altroz a 9/10 and Magnite a 10/10 for the value it offers.

Last edited by kamilharis : 6th December 2020 at 12:24.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:05   #225
BHPian

My choice -Thar. Mahindra has kept it enough rugged to not displease loyalist. At the same time, gave it the bells and whistles so that it can at least contest to be the only car in garage. Safety rating revealed recently is cherry on the cake!

Nexon EV and Altroz were close second.
Altroz misses few important tricks to be an all-rounder. Nexon EV is in a very nascent stage/segment and can’t really be compared.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th December 2020 at 07:44. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks