Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2020, 18:27   #331
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Three Mahindras have taken the coveted TBCOTY in the last decade.Thar winning this year comes as no surprise. I'm guessing the XUV5OO will take it next year. This is a car which appeals to the heart, pulls the strings and sings a symphony. In an enthusiast forum like this, it's no surprise. I couldn't have voted, but if I did have the chance, my vote would be for this car. Hope my finances and the almighty shower me with blessings to own this beauty.

Last edited by Babruvahanaaaaa : 15th December 2020 at 18:39. Reason: Corrected spacing for better readability
Old 15th December 2020, 19:03   #332
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Top three contenders are home grown is a pleasing thing. Altroz & Nexon are capable cars. I hope next year altroz ev makes it into the list.
Our Indian OEMs sure are making the right moves, getting 73% of votes.

Who would have thought at this day last year, that Mahindra's next-gen Thar would become so compelling, main-stream choice and even achieve a 4-star GNCAP rating.

Who would have thought last year that out of all OEMs in India, it would be TATA who will launch India's first truly-modern, compelling & affordable EV with good performance, let alone get as many % votes as its new IC-engined Hatchback.

Congrats to Mahindra for Thar and the 2nd,3rd runner-up TATA for Altroz & Nexon-EV.
Old 15th December 2020, 19:12   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruji View Post
This is spot on. Actually quite disappointed to see the results as it doesn't really indicate any practicality and realism. This seems like a dream world which is highly unlikely in team-BHP known for honest opinions and not really the fancy stuff.
I respectfully beg to differ. For most of us here (and definitely for me), buying a car is more about "heart" than about "head". If I wanted to be practical, I could simply (living in a big crowded city) use Uber for most of my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Perhaps this is a sign that as an enthusiast forum, people look at a car (and a COTY) from a slightly different lens than aam junta.
This is a very apt point. If we want to see how the mango man looks at cars, well, the sales figures speak for themselves. We T-BHPians have a passion for cars and related things, and so have a different point of view.

Merging my top two choices for COTY (Thar and Nexon EV), I wonder how awesome it would be to have an electric powered Thar? I might just convince my family to buy one and park it in my Dad's house. Do it, Mahindra!

Last edited by QuadraticAmoeba : 15th December 2020 at 19:15.
QuadraticAmoeba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 20:39   #334
BHPian

Indeed a worthy title to wear for the Thar from T-BHP. Hope it will be COTY in many of the other Magazines/Fora.

Lived upto the hype that was created and most importantly living upto a worthy successor of the previous Thar and surpassing it in many fronts.

Just watched a video where Thar goes to Narkanda (in snow) and starts with single crank in negative temperature..

Also bashes dunes with ease..

Congrats to all the owners( and future owners)..

Last edited by saikarthik : 15th December 2020 at 20:41.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 20:45   #335
Senior - BHPian

No suprise at the winner here.

The top 5 are as below. Tie between Nissan & KIA.

Mahindra Thar 794
Tata Altroz 322
Tata Nexon EV 295
Nissan Magnite 143
Kia Sonet 143

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 15th December 2020 at 20:47.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 20:48   #336
BHPian

Classic case of Heart vs Head win.

With lots of compromises, Thar managed to win the team-bhp COTY. Shows how strong is the aspirational quotient it has.

I'm sure that 99% who voted for that will /can not buy the Thar due to it's limitations (as per requirement of a typical Indian family). This includes me too

PS: Glad to know that top 3 cars are homegrown.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th December 2020 at 01:34. Reason: Minor Typo. Thanks.
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 21:27   #337

Wow! I never ever thought that my first post on team bhp will be about congratulating the team bhp car of the year award winner. Kudos to Mahindra for giving a product that appeals to hearts like nothing else. Waiting for my black thar to be delivered in August,2021.
Frankly speaking no other car raised my interest in last one year other than thar. At one moment i started to feel that buying a car was becoming more dependent upon features rather than its own raw appeal. And then the Thar was launched and suddenly everything changed. The heart started to beat again on a sight of car. Thank you Mahindra for giving us a vehicle that we might not need but always feel the need to buy and own and travel.
Abhi_Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 23:30   #338
BHPian

Nissan Magnite getting 7.5% votes (4th highest)! No one has driven it, no one has seen it (at least in the voters I suppose) Wow- just good pricing can do this to a car in 'COTY'.

Reminds me of the NIKOLA stock
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 23:39   #339
BHPian

The 1st gen Thar won the man's heart but this one has won the hearts of the family. More spouses will be giving their nod for the 2nd gen Thar.

Definitely a big shout to Mahindra for betting on the new Thar and improving it leaps and bounds. Still a long way to go though.

Last edited by Jude300 : 15th December 2020 at 23:40.
Old 16th December 2020, 07:54   #340
BHPian

Kudos Mahindra, Thar is an aspirational product with the promise of a not so crazy price tag. Would I buy it! not right away ( no moolah), but surely would be looking to it as a replacement for the ageing 3rd car next year.
Old 16th December 2020, 07:58   #341
BANNED

Although I belong to the ‘listen to head’ group, and voted for City. But if I had two options, second would have been Thar only. It directly hits your heart, and is actually quite practical too, hence the heart easily wins over head too in case of this SUV.

Example: IAS officers et’ all, hardly buy and use their cars. Normally even if they buy, it’s a small hatchback, or some SUV. Here is one known to me, who took a weekend long test drive (perk of being one), after that took 2 days in only deciding if it has to be a hard top or convertible. And is now patiently waiting for his Thar, which was expected to come in December, but now is expected in Feb. The dealer has shown complete I capability in doing anything exceptional, and the officer has also used his contacts, all he has got is some assurance. But still, he is patiently waiting for it, and is adamant that it has to be a Thar, it has to be convertible, it has to be black, and it has to be a diesel AT. No other car, no other options even considered - heck, he didn’t even needed a car in fact.

Last edited by VKumar : 16th December 2020 at 07:59.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 08:35   #342
Senior - BHPian

Although I did not vote for the Thar, I had a feeling it was going to make it.

The new Thar is leagues ahead and a wonderful vehicle. Long term reliability is what we have to see now.

The completion in India against Maruti for Indian and foreign manufacturers is pretty tough. And Mahindra has done very good. They know how to brand and re-brand their vehicles. A typical example is the Scorpio which is almost 20 years old and still selling good. XUV5OO is another example which is doing very good from 2011 till date. The new one is awaited next year.

With mild and occasional off roading picking up in India, every owner wants an all round vehicle in a lesser price tag, which can go anywhere. At present the only downside I see is the size of the Thar, considering cruising with family and luggage for longish holidays. But again if they increase the length, then the off roading capacity is reduced and the Thar is known for that. Although I wish the Thar XL comes soon.

Let's also hope, Mahindra also provides loads of accessories, to make the Thar more acceptable.
Old 16th December 2020, 12:37   #343
BHPian

The Thar was a runaway winner here. An enthusiast's forum shows its true colours!.

The fact that a Nissan car even made it to this list and ended with a decent 4th position itself is worth celebrating for people fed up with insane pricing and monopoly of some of the 'leaders'.
Old 16th December 2020, 13:40   #344
BHPian

Thar as Team BHP COTY was more or less expected from its launch date on August 15. No surprises at all. It has been the heart beat for most adrenaline junkies to take this revitalised beauty home. Sadly, some crucial misses like 4 door entry, puny boot space weighs in balance with the new updated features given in the new vehicle. Hoping for a quicker facelift with the missed corrected, or probably Maruti Jimney will take it. Maruti, are you listening? If at all, there is an intention to launch Jimney in India.
Old 16th December 2020, 16:10   #345
Senior - BHPian

M&M acknowledges the Team BHP COTY awarded to Thar-
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!-img_20201216_160803_316.jpg

Source
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed