Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2020, 16:22   #346
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
M&M acknowledges the Team BHP COTY awarded to Thar-

Source
Good note! Let's hope someone at M&M noting down about all the complaints, niggles and wish list which are discussed here!
saikarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 18:41   #347
BHPian

Thar is surely tugging the strings of my heart. I did write in its thread that I'm disappointed that the second iteration after 10 years is still an incomplete product considering the various compromises it comes with. But every time I hear about Thar, it's mostly positive. I must control my temptation else I might succumb soon.

Congratulations to Thar!

On a different note, shouldn't COTY be the car that people are willing to buy and live with (assuming they have the finances and other factors favorable)? Going by the votes here there are 700+ potential buyers from TBHP?
saleem_k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 21:05   #348
BHPian

Congratulations to Mahindra for creating the Thar of the Year. The forum for enthusiasts has truly voted with its heart on this one, though it's hardly a surprise result as it got off to a powerful start and stayed ahead of the pack right through.

What's more, 2021 looks set to become the Year of the Thar considering the numbers that will be delivered. A hat tip also to the brilliant Tata twins, making it an all-Indian podium finish.
Old 16th December 2020, 22:55   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post

On a different note, shouldn't COTY be the car that people are willing to buy and live with (assuming they have the finances and other factors favorable)? Going by the votes here there are 700+ potential buyers from TBHP?
By that logic, there would be only 1500 buyers totally in team bhp.
If all BHPians(I guess total strength is in lakhs) voted and it got 700 votes, your calculation would hold good.

You can see it this way - Over 40% of BHPians are potential buyers of this car.

I voted for thar too, but I am not a potential buyer. So even that perspective can be flawed.

If we had to vote for what car we would buy, my vote would have gone to Honda City or Altroz. In my view, COTY should be the car that kindled most of my interest (market's too), has credibility to deserve the award and be priced well too.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 16th December 2020 at 22:57.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 05:41   #350
Senior - BHPian

The Thar comes across as a winner in more ways than one. Hence it is a deserved winner by popular choice. Congratulations Mahindra

However, I would request GTO to hold back his vote till the end of the poll, from the next edition of the COTY onwards. The team-bhp COTY award would carry even more weight - if and when the influencer bias is negated.
MaserQ is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 10:05   #351
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
However, I would request GTO to hold back his vote till the end of the poll, from the next edition of the COTY onwards. The team-bhp COTY award would carry even more weight - if and when the influencer bias is negated.
Woah ! I had never realized this but when I checked, it is indeed happening. Nevertheless, your request may not be entertained as the mods vote in their capacity as a 'member'.

It may be influencing the other members but this could be contained if the moderator votes are hidden or the moderator votes can be casted after the poll closes for the regular members. The other option like you mentioned is; mods voting in the last, maybe in the last 30-60(?) mins.

This is not to doubt the intentions of any mods but just so that no jealous outsider ever tells us that our poll is biased.

Last edited by OSH : 17th December 2020 at 10:12.
Old 17th December 2020, 17:04   #352
BHPian

Isn't it wonderful that the top three contenders are Indian cars? And topped with top notch safety rating. Kudos to Tata and Mahindra for upping their game.

But then I have to find fault with Mahindra for copying the design from Jeep. I know they had a license from Jeep to manufacture an old version of an old model, but that does not mean that they should copy every new version of the car.

Shame on you Mahindra!

Hence my choice is the Tata Altroz.
Old 19th December 2020, 23:35   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
By that logic, there would be only 1500 buyers totally in team bhp.
If all BHPians(I guess total strength is in lakhs) voted and it got 700 votes, your calculation would hold good.

You can see it this way - Over 40% of BHPians are potential buyers of this car.

I voted for thar too, but I am not a potential buyer. So even that perspective can be flawed.

If we had to vote for what car we would buy, my vote would have gone to Honda City or Altroz. In my view, COTY should be the car that kindled most of my interest (market's too), has credibility to deserve the award and be priced well too.
Of course, I didn't mean that from all BHPians there are only this many. I meant that even in a small sample, the number of buyers for Thar are too many and that is what I wanted to draw attention to, coz I felt the numbers are optimistic, if we consider a real-world scenario. Over 40% BHPians being potential buyers also seems too high if we consider the 1500 an accurately representing sample of total BHPians at 95% confidence levels.

Nevertheless, Thar is pulling the right strings, I hope it lives up to the hype and doesn't suffer from the typical niggles of a new product.
Old 23rd December 2020, 19:57   #354
BHPian

It is a split between the Thar and Nexon EV for me. I have not driven or seen either of these. But I would cast my vote for the THAR just for the fact that they have finally managed to bring out a overall good package.
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:49   #355
BHPian

Voted for Nexon EV

My logic, As Tata Safari was ahead of its time and make common Indians realize the SUV comfort and advantages similarly Nexon EV will make common Indians realize the benefits of an EV.
This will make EV more acceptable in Indian masses and we will be recalling Nexon EV may be 5-6 years down the line similar to Safari
Old 24th December 2020, 10:53   #356
BHPian

Tata Nexon EV with Solar Panels installed on roof top is beautiful with 0 fuel costs and 0 tailpipe emissions, lowest service cost, long warranty on battery and motor

Great City driving SUV

My vote is for our own Tata Nexon- Made in India EV

Non EV space I am waiting for 4 Door Mahindra Thar which shall be ideal 4X4
Old 27th February 2021, 00:10   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

In the ICOTY awards for 2021 the Hyundai i20 won the Car of the Year, I wonder how much did Hyundai butter-up the judges.

If I look back the i20 is too expensive, safety is a question mark, turbo variant doesn’t get a manual, diesel doesn’t get an automatic, and more importantly it doesn’t look as good as the Elite i20.

There were so many more deserving cars for the Car of the Year; the Mahindra Thar, Nissan Magnite (makes the i20 look so expensive), Tata Altroz and Honda City!

No wonder the media is sold out, I am out of words seriously!

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!-f29f83c3b1f94633ac29353c6288b5ae.jpeg

More importantly thanks to Team-BHP no such thing can happen in the Team-BHP Car of the Year and all votes are real and deserving.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 27th February 2021 at 00:15.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 23:57   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
In the ICOTY awards for 2021 the Hyundai i20 won the Car of the Year, I wonder how much did Hyundai butter-up the judges.

If I look back the i20 is too expensive, safety is a question mark, turbo variant doesn’t get a manual, diesel doesn’t get an automatic, and more importantly it doesn’t look as good as the Elite i20.

There were so many more deserving cars for the Car of the Year; the Mahindra Thar, Nissan Magnite (makes the i20 look so expensive), Tata Altroz and Honda City!

No wonder the media is sold out, I am out of words seriously!

Attachment 2126210

More importantly thanks to Team-BHP no such thing can happen in the Team-BHP Car of the Year and all votes are real and deserving.

I have no difficulty in believing the icoty is in Hyundai’s pocket for the last few years. Such a worthless, biased award, no one will take it seriously.

Rating i20 as car of the year ahead of Thar, Magnite and Nexon EV and City

Some previous undeserving Hyundai winners :

2020 : Venue over Seltos
2018 : Verna over Jeep Compass
2016 : Creta over Kwid (atleast this was mildly deserved.
2014 : (worst of all) grand i10 over Ecosport

The only deserved winner was i20 elite in 2015

Last edited by spkrnh : 27th February 2021 at 23:58.
spkrnh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 05:46   #359
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
For the coming years also, one or other Hyundai car will get this from all the media. Just look at the amount of sponsored contents in these media from Hyundai. Going to have a tea in the new i20, all india tour, going to bath room in an i20 etc. kind of content is available under these media YouTube channels for atleast one model from Hyundai. Even the so called 'thrill of driving' Evo India gives drifting classes in an i20 (the so much fun car). It's a give and take policy between Hyundai and these media houses. This is by the way 'the new Chanakya thanthra' in new India, so I am not surprised. If you don't deserve something, then buy it.

Last edited by pavi : 28th February 2021 at 05:53.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 07:47   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
For the coming years also, one or other Hyundai car will get this from all the media. Just look at the amount of sponsored contents in these media from Hyundai. Going to have a tea in the new i20, all india tour, going to bath room in an i20 etc. kind of content is available under these media YouTube channels for atleast one model from Hyundai. Even the so called 'thrill of driving' Evo India gives drifting classes in an i20 (the so much fun car). It's a give and take policy between Hyundai and these media houses. This is by the way 'the new Chanakya thanthra' in new India, so I am not surprised. If you don't deserve something, then buy it.
Its an open game ! No one complained when MSIL became the dominant player amidst the field of lame OEMs from the mid-90s till about 2015 (albeit some had excellent models).
And ultimately, the market forces are the king. We can all rave and rant from the sidelines, but we just need to enjoy the show. Besides, its not that Hyundai cars are useless-atleast they arent any more useless than their immediate competition. Some of the Japanese manufacturers who make excellent, highly reliable cars have been caught twiddling their thumbs in this rising wave of CSUVs of the past 5-6 years. Would you blame Hyundai/Kia for cashing in on this?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks