Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:10   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Voted for Thar. The 4 star GNCAP rating sealed it in favour of Thar for me. Frankly speaking, when it was launched I had the feeling that it would be as bad as the previous one in terms of safety, but Mahindra did a fabulous job with the new Thar!
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:17   #32
OSH
BHPian

Voted for the Tata Altroz this time.

It is the least expensive GNCAP 5 star rated car we can buy in India today and that deserves some appreciation. I am done with voting just on the basis of the feature list or sales, the number one priority is now safety.

When the recent crash test results were out, there was a huge support for our homegrown manufacturers as they were giving us safer cars even in the lower segments. So I hope that this year's COTY award goes to a safe car.

Last edited by OSH : 3rd December 2020 at 17:20.
OSH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:20   #33
BHPian

As much as I would have loved to vote for the Thar, cause Mahindra has got it so right, I would like to go against the tide this one time and vote for the Altroz.

The Altroz caters to a bigger market, whereas the Thar caters a 100% only to enthusiasts. Hence my vote goes to the Altroz. Tata have done an excellent job on it. Of course, leaving out that lame petrol which sticks out as a sore thumb. Hope the turbo petrol comes soon along with AT variants, and that would cater to the common + enthusiasts market.

And let's not forget, the Altroz is the cheapest 5 star safety rated car on sale available to the masses.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:21   #34
BHPian

Although voted for Altroz,I feel none of the launches in this list can be called the best car on their brightest day unlike the past champions.

For example-Jeep Compass had a utilitarian feel to it yet actually a competent daily steed,was nice to drive and could haul a family of 4. Kia Seltos had the same charm although we didn't know it was a tin back then. TATA Tiago was a great entry hatchback, showed us that you deserve a safe car irrespective of your VIT-M levels. This year seems to be a compromise in something or the other IMO.

Also not to forget the fact that mid-term(10,000km till 50,000km) reliability of most of these cars are unknown thanks to Covid-19.

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 3rd December 2020 at 17:33.
Abhi5868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:21   #35
BHPian

Voted for Honda CITY. These two statements from the Initial Drive Report is more than enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Car gets a lot of attention. Turned heads from many people on the road (including bikers). We don’t usually experience this with sedans these days.

• SUVs are all the rage right now. If the C2 sedan segment wanted a representative to fight with the crossovers on its behalf, this car is it.

Last edited by saisree : 3rd December 2020 at 17:22.
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:21   #36
BHPian

Mahindra Thar all the way.
Why? Mahindra has done a marvellous job in bridging an adventure friendly vehicle to a practical daily vehicle. That too a safe one!
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:23   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for the Thar!

Mahindra just showed all manufacturers how an update needs to be.

Better engines
Better interiors
Better looks
Better practicality
Better desirability
Better presence
And above all

Better safety!

My vote predominantly is because Mahindra has made a 4* body on frame SUV. That's some feat!

Will I ever buy a Thar? No.

But it deserves to be the Car of the year for the amazing product it has turned out to be.

Next choice will be the Altroz. If it had a 6 speed MT & engines in Nexon's state of tune, I would have voted for it.
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:28   #38
BHPian

Voted for THAR.

Had it been there in the market 3 years back, I would have definitely bought this one.
No other car can provide this much fun + reliability + safety + robustness at this price.
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:30   #39
BHPian

Voted for the Kia Sonet
- Innovative variant and pricing strategy, with something for everyone looking at premium hatchbacks, sub-4M sedans, compact SUVs and entry /mid level variants of D segment sedans & SUVs
- Numerous engine and gearbox combinations , including the segment best Diesel AT
- 'First in segment' features

Only Con I see is that 'Safety' could be questionable. But it is still compelling as an overall package.
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

Of all the cars on that list, there's only one that truly set the cat amongst the pigeons in its segment, and that's the Thar. Therefore it gets my vote.

Yes, it's not perfect. It has its flaws, it's not for everyone, it will have the niggles one comes to except from early generation Mahindras. But it seems to have one thing in oodles, which is critical; soul.

Most cars sold today lack that extra something that make it feel special. They've been polished, finely chiseled, and refined to the point they lose some of that luster that makes them almost human. The Thar is far removed from that, and part of its hunky charm lies in its many imperfections.

Of course, there is no vehicle like it at its price point, and thus it occupies a class of one, which is perhaps why it has made children of so many grown men. Long may cars like it reign supreme.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:34   #41
BHPian

Voted for Magnite, and I haven't even seen the car in flesh yet. Was totally blown away by the disruptive pricing and truly astounding value on offer.
xjosephjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:42   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

The Thar.

There's no two ways about it : the Thar is only car on the list that I would truly love to own and that's what Car of the Year should mean.

The others are simply more practical than special, such as the Altroz which is an excellent all rounder and would probably be my runner up choice.
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:44   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Toss-up for me between Thar 2020 and Nexon EV. Thar has made a big leap from the previous version. Nexon EV has started promisingly as a true EV, which is where the future looks to be heading to.

A few other good cars too - but many are newer versions of existing cars.
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020

For me it was between the Thar, Altroz and the Sonet.
Though Sonet has a great Diesel engine, TC automatic with all the bells and whistles it stays number 3 in my list as I feel bad to have voted for the Seltos tin can last year and feel very guilty that it actually went onto become the Team BHP car of the year. I am not saying that the Sonet would not do better but until it is tested I wouldn't touch it. Kia needs to prove now that they can make safe cars for India.

Altroz is a stunner in design, decent safety but lacks a punchy engine.

Thar is the winner for me. Loved the petrol automatic. The new Thar has taken the level of practicality a notch up and the interiors are a big leap forward.

The practicality of a beater car for the city, the tough go anywhere lifestyle car, 4* GNCAP, and a 17 lakh OTR Bangalore price is hard to ignore. :

Only hope there is a 4 door version on the way.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2020 at 04:57. Reason: Altros = Altroz
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:47   #45
BHPian

Voted for Magnite

The base variant has most of the features which others have in the mid+ range.

Didn't consider Thar as the base AX has been axed by Mahindra.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks