Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:50   #46
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Voted for Tata Altroz, as it is one of the safest product available to the masses. But my heart loves Mahindra Thar only
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Nexon EV. The rationale is that this car will democratize the EV landscape in India. An affordable EV with decent range is the first in India. I think Tata will popularize the EV concept in India and once the trend is established Suzuki and Hyundai will steal it away from them; Like what happened in the diesel small car and compact sedan market a decade back.

That said, I am pretty sure Thar will win this year's car of the year. Because it is the car everyone has in their dreams; but can't afford because of practical considerations. Even I want to own an automatic jeep some day, but with aged parents and kids in the family, I have to stick with vans and sedans for the foreseeable future.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:03   #48
BHPian

Wanted to vote for the THAR for packing in so much fun and character in a neat affordable package without much compromises. But ended up voting for the Altroz. A 5 star rated car for the masses definitely deserves to be the TBHP COTY.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Altroz it is, for me!
Mainly because of the cutting edge styling, and 5 Star safety rating in the small car segment. It has a massive feature list, drives well on rough roads, delivers good economy, spacious, and is a jack of all. Nexon EV is also a path breaking product, and it was a tough toss up

Last edited by Sebring : 3rd December 2020 at 18:31.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:06   #50
BHPian

Look how Thar is running away like Usain Bolt

Cant help but admit Thar is the most satisfying way to spend 12 lakh on 4 wheels currently in India. Only 100bhp+ on 2 wheels can create more excitement but with less than 20% of the utility.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:06   #51
BHPian

A question for all the voters. The Thar is a much improved Mahindra jeep, agreed. However it is still a semi baked product and is really not a practical or a usable car filled with niggles like a leaking roof etc. Does it really justify becoming the car of the year?
AirbusCapt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:09   #52
BHPian

Mahindra Thar got my vote. It really needed the upgrade it got. I hope there comes a time we can buy quality cars in India with much smaller footprint with 4WD, at least the option should be available for anyone who wants it, at a reasonable budget. Right now one really needs a high budget for a 4WD capable vehicle along with basic comfort and modern look, also most are full size SUVs. I loved the overall look on the outside especially the rear looks neat. The rest was just perfect for the price. The NCAP rating of 4 takes the peace of mind factor a notch higher. Only wishlist for me is a six seater version hope that's released in future. I hope this new Thar scales newer heights.

Altroz is a good design no doubt, but with a very weak heart. A lot of people I know has been complaining about the same. Full load, driving with AC, these are basic conditions where this weak heart shows even more weakness.

Kia Sonnet, was a very close call for me, excellent design executed to perfection. I have not driven it yet, so no first hand experience, all impressions are based on reviews and feedbacks only. But, it seems there is hardly any negatives except for long term reliability and service availability, which needs time to post a score.

However, the last call from my heart was for the Thar.

Last edited by arindam_xeta : 3rd December 2020 at 18:23.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:13   #53
BHPian

It was a toss-up between the Altroz, which wowed me, and the Nexon EV!

I ended up voting for the Nexon EV because it brings a proven car in a more affordable and practical EV avatar. Hence, it shows that robust and affordable (sub 10 lakh) EVs will be available to the customer in the coming years.
Ajay_Sensei is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:16   #54
BHPian

Voted for Nexon EV. It shows that EVs can be practical and affordable and will pave the way for more cars to come and infrastructure be built around it.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:20   #55
BANNED

Voted for My nexon EV, EVs are the future and tata is leading the effort in India with this fantastic offering.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:29   #56
BHPian

I voted for Nexon EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Voted for Nexon EV. The rationale is that this car will democratize the EV landscape in India. An affordable EV with decent range is the first in India.
+1. Though Thar came a close second in my head, Nexon EV is something which deserves more appreciation and popularity. I believe many people are not getting this or another EV as they expect their respective states to dole out subsidy schemes soon (following Delhi).
The package is good, the car is safe and the travel range is good for city runaboutery. It's a great weekday car, more so now that WFH is on the verge of being a possible reality.
There are some niggles which should have been sorted out before the launch, but the brand Tata deserves my vote for the good they are doing.
Tata and Mahindra are doing some good improvements in their respective lineups.

The car has found many takers in Kolkata, most in the smashing green/blue shade. Have been recommending this to my friends who were in the lookout to buy something for city runs only. I hope and pray that the reliability of this vehicle is not like the gen 1 Diesel Indicas
sharktale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:31   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Toss-up for me between Thar 2020 and Nexon EV. Thar has made a big leap from the previous version. Nexon EV has started promisingly as a true EV, which is where the future looks to be heading to.
Exactly my first thoughts as well when I went through the list.
But then, Tata has outclassed the market with this car. The speed of execution from an Indian manufacturer who time and again has been called lethargic is so damn pleasing. And it’s a neat implementation too.

If TeamBHP is making an exception for a car, it means that the car is truly special for the Indian automotive scene. My vote goes for Nexon EV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As you know, we don’t include mere ‘engine variants' (e.g. new Duster 1.3 Turbo) in our COTY, but the Nexon EV is a significant overhaul of the car to make it an EV. This is like a different car under the skin. It’s a totally different segment, price point & customer type. This is also the first affordable proper EV (Mahindra-Revas don't count), hence we’re making an exception just this one time to include it.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:34   #58
BHPian

Going to vote for KIA Sonet (Once I figure out how to do it).

My heart says Mahindra Thar but the head says KIA. There is no doubt Mahindra Thar is an outstanding piece of machinery but the jury is still out on its ability to work as a single vehicle for a family. For me its a pure lifestyle vehicle.

KIA deserves all the praise coming their way for their surgical strike on Indian Auto market with their well researched product launches which Indians welcomed with open arms. All their models are armed to the teeth with segment first features and their design needs a special mention too.

So my vote goes to KIA Sonet.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

I vote for the Thar. For me, the competition lied between the Altroz, Thar & Magnite.

The main reason for leaving the Altroz out of contention is because of the lackluster petrol, if TaMo had a Turbo+DCT/Manual Combination in the line-up, I would've chosen it instead of the Thar. Otherwise, the 5* safety rating and the beautiful design combined with the long feature list make this my choice.

Reason for Magnite not being my choice for COTY = Unproven Reliability of the 1L Turbo & The lack of a sufficient number of Showrooms & Showrooms in multiple Tier-1 & Tier-2 cities. It is a very promising package after all and if Nissan can sort out the issue with the aftersales & prove its mettle, they will have a hot product in their hands.

Finally, the Thar! Mahindra has nailed it with the 3rd gen product. It's superbly capable on & off the road, has immense presence, and most importantly, offers all the creature comforts that a person needs for it to be a daily driver. The Mahindra legacy has also ensured that it's a sales hit this time around and to top it all off, is the 4* NCAP rating.
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:49   #60
BHPian

If the BS6 cleaned the outdated engines, Magnite will bring a price correction from the competition.

While the entry variants fight head-on with WagonR/Celerio, the mid variants will give a tough fight to i10/Baleno & the likes. The top-variants of Magnite will surely take away the share from slow/low sellers and lower variants of every single small crossover/sedan. I have a feeling that we might see Magnite taxis soon.

If Nissan, or its CEO, can get so many new dealers so quickly, you could very well know that they are here to stay.

From what I know, Nissan cars of today are far from boring, are super-reliable(ask any existing Nissan owner), age like a Toyota, and quite cheap to maintain. Brand Nissan might not sound premium but it doesn't scream a Chevrolet either.
You would normally skip signing up for the extended warranty on a Japanese product and still be worry-free.

Nissan Magnite strikes the chord for me.
viren83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks