Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:06   #76
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Car of the year for me implies either a ground breaking new product or a real world generation change newer version of an existing machine. Contemplated on these
:-
1) i20 - Sucker for hot hatch backs, sadly haven't owned one.
2) Nexon EV -impressed by TATA's mammoth improvement in design and tech department.
3) Thar - What a stand out vehicle. Just that.

My Vote(and money) goes to the Thar.
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:17   #77
BHPian

I voted for the ZS EV - an under-rated and overlooked value car. It's Chinese, I know, but so is my phone, OnePlus. Like the OnePlus, it's really good at places where it matters without big compromises in comfort. It feels a 20+ lac Rupee Car unlike the Kona (even though I live Hyundai cars!!), which feels like a differently shaped, just another Hyundai car. I know for sure, that the ZS won't be the COTY, but what is good will remain so and sell well as it seems to be doing at the moment!!
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:18   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

The way Thar captured the imagination of the nation was extraordinary, something to cheer about in the pandemic. My winner for this year.
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:38   #79
BHPian

Voted for the Thar! What a entry when everything else in the world looked so gloomy and uncertain!

In 2020, no other vehicle helped put a smile on our faces like the Thar! This car made us all look like kids in a candy store! I WANT ONE! said the nation in unison! A thorough vehicle with legacy, pedigree, style and substance, this car truly touched the right nerve with us Indians!
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:41   #80
BHPian

I choose my cars based on practicality, drivability and ride rather than looks. I was just as tempted to Vote for the Thar as other members of this forum but the complains about the ride quality from almost every reviewer has taken that vote away. With the ride quality it has, it cannot become a daily driver for me.

I don't necessarily need a cushy ride but it has to be acceptable and the complains about Thar's ride are widespread. So I've gone with the car I ABSOLUTELY loved and would've definitely got if money was no concern - The VW T-Roc.
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Nissan Magnite for the stellar pricing and value for money proposition. Rightly priced and nice to see the standard safety features offered.

2nd would be Thar and 3rd Altroz.
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:47   #82
BHPian

My decision came down to either the Mahindra Thar or Tata Altroz. Before I discuss my decision process, I am incredibly proud as an Indian that the most popular votes are going to Indian manufacturers, not because of patriotism or anything but sincerely because of their commitment towards their new products.

The brand new Thar is has added or improved on the previous generation shortcoming and developed a product they can be proud of. I remember when I was driving the last generation Thar, it was fun to drive with its commanding seat position, capability to go anywhere and its road presence intimidating other vehicles (especially heavy vehicles) to behave. It did however have its shortcomings that drove many prospective buyers away. With the all new Thar though, people just seem to be wanting more and more.

The Altroz is gorgeous! The car looks amazing from all angles, inside and outside. Growing up I was not a big fan of Tata as they were known for low-quality products and poor after-sales. This current iteration of Tata is a whole another beast, their commitment towards their products and the effort they put to truly become a manufacturer India is proud of has made me a fan. The current line-up of Tata models are attractive with Altroz being a strong product. I was initially disappointed by the weak engine but with the diesel and the new turbo-petrol, the Altroz should be a successful product in the long-run. Tata's reputation for well-built safe cars applies to the Altroz as well as 5 star NCAP safety rating is incredible for Indian safety standards.

Initially I was going to vote for the Thar, however the Altroz is still more of a mass market vehicle than the Thar and also with the Thar being leaps ahead than its predecessor, it still has its flaws and I still consider it a lifestyle vehicle, therefore, my vote is going to the Altroz. Furthermore, with safety being the hottest topic now, it is important that we all as car-lovers and consumers encourage safer cars like the Altroz and Thar to our fellow Indians.

P.S. also felt like Tata deserves a win after a long time.
fastturtle10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:49   #83
BHPian

I voted for the Mahindra Thar.

It was very close between the Thar and the T-roc for me. These were the only two cars that I would buy on that list, hence my vote had to go to either of them.
As mentioned by many others, the 4 star GNCAP rating was the icing on an already tasty cake.
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:00   #84
BHPian

Voted for the Tata Altroz. Thar does pull at the heart strings, but it being a niche product turned the tide in Tata's favor. Altroz may be what a normal customer might find useful for 90% of his use case scenarios than the Thar, hence the belief that it is more befitting of the prestigious Team-bhp COTY award.

Our homegrown manufacturers are making giant strides in offering safety to Indian customers at affordable levels. We can no longer neglect this fact. I was a big fan of the Sonet when it was launched, going so far as to call it a complete product, but the dismal performance of Seltos in the crash test means the Sonet may not fare much better. It's high time international manufacturers no longer skimp on something as basic as safety, rather than distracting customers with features. Magnite also deserves much appreciation for the way Nissan has put up an honest effort. Waiting for the crash test results although I'm sure it's not going to be as much of a shocker as the Kia!
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Kia Sonet! It's a wholesome package with a compact footprint comes with powerful and refined Diesel Auto combo in the top trim and also has been well accepted by the market for the above mentioned reasons.
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:23   #86
Team-BHP Support

While the Thar seems the obvious choice, I felt that this year there are many options that are right up there and pretty close to call. I ended up picking the NExon EV over all the below options. Reasons:

The Thar does look like the most appealing but I didn't vote for it as I kind of felt that the price is a little too premium to make it an easy pick.

The Kia Sonet created a lot of buzz and as expected has gone to to the top of the sales charts. However my reason for not voting for it was again the price. They have loaded it but are charging top money for it as well. The top end DCT or Diesel AT is 16L on road.

The City came close since it was a huge upgrade from the older one and overall much more appealing than before. IT's the closest option for me when I am replacing my dad's 12 year old Corolla Altis since the D2 segment is gone.

I almost voted for the Magnite cause of it's overall package and very sensible pricing. There is something there for everyone.

Alas the vote went to the Nexon EV as it is the first to really bring EV to the masses in a practical overall package. The other EV options have been more exclusive well above 20L but it is Tata that has managed to get a well priced EV to the market in a package that can easily replace a combustion engine vehicle in your garage. From all the cars in the list the Nexon EV stood out for me the most.

Though I have to say I spent a long time pondering over the 5 options. Something I have not done in previous years.

Even the T-Roc made me think for a second and if it were not a CBU, would be right in the mix.

I see many have voted for the Altroz but it was not an option for me as they don't have the Turbo petrol yet and the petrol is anemic and that is key.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th December 2020 at 13:32.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:27   #87
BHPian

Thought everyone here would vote for the Altroz, but I was surprised to see Mahindra take the lead. I voted for Mahindra anyway though. You go, Mahindra! Keep amazing us with more quality products that are homegrown.
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:32   #88
BHPian

Voted for the Tata Nexon EV. The Mahindra Thar and the Nissan Magnite were respectively second and third.

No one can deny the fact that the future is electric. By bringing the EV within the budget of a large number of prospective buyers, Tata has done a commendable job. That and the Nexon's safety and suspension setup makes it the ICOTY IMHO.
Akash.D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Thar.

Absolutely captivating product and they made a terrific job of re-kindling the ‘jeep’ factor with an end product that is suffice for a big pool of car buyers. Despite knowing that it could be a ‘second’ or a ‘third’ car for many , they hit the right notes with an outstanding end product. They created a demand and that’s no mean task.

And boy ! Did they capture the hearts of our women !

And , the safety factor too !

Definitely, a credible contender for the COTY
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:52   #90
BHPian

Mahindra Thar.

It is now an everyday vehicle and not just a special purpose vehicle. A beauty with a 4* safety rating. An astounding quality product.

A very close second is Range Rover Evoque cause it evokes many emotions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks