Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2020?
Nissan Magnite 143 7.40%
Tata Altroz 322 16.67%
Hyundai i20 17 0.88%
Hyundai Aura 4 0.21%
Kia Sonet 143 7.40%
Mahindra Thar 794 41.10%
Hyundai Creta 47 2.43%
Honda City 49 2.54%
Tata Nexon EV 295 15.27%
Volkswagen T-Roc 28 1.45%
MG ZS EV 8 0.41%
Skoda Karoq 34 1.76%
Kia Carnival 34 1.76%
MG Gloster 1 0.05%
Audi Q2 1 0.05%
BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe 8 0.41%
Range Rover Evoque 4 0.21%
Voters: 1932. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 00:34   #106

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2020. EDIT: It's the Mahindra Thar!

Not sure about why there is so much hype surrounding the Thar. Out of the 250 votes logged so far for the Thar, I am pretty sure atleast 90 percent of the voters would not pick up the Thar if they had to buy a car within a 15 lakh budjet out of need tomorrow. My idea of a product worthy of the car of the year would be a product which actually makes a difference in the automobile scene and really benefits people. In that case my choice would be the Nissan Magnite. Although the general public has not got a chance to experience it, people will definitely react well to the pricing and features on offer. Combine that with a turbo charged engine and automatic transmission at this price point you couldnt go wrong with this car. For a poll like this on a forum like Team-bhp i expected better contendors. For example no one really cares for the EVOQUE. The defender would have been a more sensible addition.
tharunkar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 00:41   #107
BHPian

Magnite for me. A brand that was nearly out of the Indian market suddenly pulls a cat out of the hat. Best wishes to Nissan for a comeback. A VFM car which ticks all the right boxes, except the brand reputation.

Would have voted for the Altroz but for that sluggish petrol engine.

Looks like the impractical Thar will win the poll though.

Last edited by saion666 : 4th December 2020 at 00:44.
saion666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 01:06   #108
BHPian

Magnite for me as well. This is because of its pricing, which to me is such an amazing deal and quite mouthwatering. Hope the Magnite proves to be a lucky charm for Nissan in India. I believe we need Nissan to do well in India and continue providing meaningful options at competitive prices.
civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 01:15   #109
Senior - BHPian

I’m absolutely happy to see first 3 positions are taken by Indian car makers in the poll - 1 x Mahindra, 2 x Tata! A good indication how this decade will look like from Indian makers like Tata & Mahindra in particular.

Oh, by the way, I voted in for Thar obviously it’s my favorite car right now as it ticks the right boxes in my heart for it. Next, the Nexon & Altroz from the list.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 05:15   #110
BHPian

Voted for Nexon EV
With an electric future coming very close, Tata motors put a car that laid to rest many apprehensions about practical EVs being decades away for India. Well priced and accessible even to the Indian upper middle class if they chose. A range of around 200 KM per charge, on par with cars like the Nissan Leaf 40KWh version. The Electric car landscape just arrived early to India , prompting some utility companies to set up charging facilities. Bold move by Tata.

All of those factors make me pick the Nexon EV as the COTY.

Off topic: On a personal note, I'm a bit disappointed to see 200+ votes for the Thar. I guess most voters might have not even driven the car and have just punched in the vote by emotions/word of mouth. It also needs to be defined what T-BHP really means by "Car of the year"
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 05:33   #111
Senior - BHPian

Easy peasy - The Thar it is. This was such a big leap from the agricultural old machines. I can't wait to see it in person the next time I'm in India. The great 4 star crash safety rating was the icing on the cake. Waiting for the next-gen XUV 500 to impress in 2021.

An honorable mention to the MG ZS EV.

Wooden spoon to the Honda City - while it might have improved on certain parameters, I think they should have brought a competent Hybrid to really take the battle to the crossovers.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th December 2020 at 05:36.
Old 4th December 2020, 05:40   #112
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Altroz. I genuinely feel that Altroz can compete with the best from the rest of the world and not just on styling but the engineering finesse too. A sterling effort from Tata Motors and deserves a massive applaud and all the appreciation it is getting.

I wish the Thar wasn't just a blatant copy of Wrangler. I know I keep on harping about this but it is also true that styling is 99% of Thar's appeal. Its like the foundation of its appeal. Take it away and not much is left. It is all the more frustrating because I know Mahindra can do it. They did it with Marazo and XUV500. Look at where Tata is. Most cars they sell today are near top of their respective segments when it comes to exterior styling.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 4th December 2020 at 05:44.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 05:44   #113
BHPian

For me it would be Mahindra Thar. I loved it the moment the first look came out. Would have been my next car had it been more practical especially for a family with a senior citizen.
Old 4th December 2020, 06:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharunkar View Post
Not sure about why there is so much hype surrounding the Thar. Out of the 250 votes logged so far for the Thar, I am pretty sure atleast 90 percent of the voters would not pick up the Thar if they had to buy a car within a 15 lakh budjet out of need tomorrow. My idea of a product worthy of the car of the year would be a product which actually makes a difference in the automobile scene and really benefits people.
Well I voted for the Thar and would love to own and use it as per its design mandate. We havent often got cars who are fairly compact, fully off road capable, yet convenient (diesel/ petrol AT) and independently certified safe . Doesnt matter if it’s essentially a comfortable two seater. We must give credit where its due, for the persistence in the belief that 4x4 ownership has potential and so must be made into an affordable lifestyle option. Mahindra’s competitors also have the technical capability but didnt hold the belief -cue the 2wd Harrier/Duster, the , “will-he-wont-he? “ Suzuki Jimny.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 4th December 2020 at 06:29.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 06:32   #115
Team-BHP Support

Easy choice this year, and other than the Thar, there are not many outstanding options with that wow factor.

Thar may not be perfect, the grille maybe a bit off, but from the pictures and reviews I feel the amazing presence and character. The previous Thar was raw and crude but this looks to have that sophisticated rawness. And that decent NCAP score makes the deal even better.
Old 4th December 2020, 06:51   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Heart said Thar, mind voted for Altroz.

Both are superbly capable cars from our own manufacturers. I've mentioned earlier that Thar is an aspirational vehicle. I aspire for it, but that doesn't mean I will end up buying it. It ticks many boxes but then, there are some boxes which are important. On the other hand, Altroz is something that may find a way to my garage. It's a 5 star rated 5 seater and looks stunningly beautiful. Lately, I'm seeing a lot of them on roads.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 07:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

The car of the year has to be Nexon EV for bringing EV to the masses.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 07:33   #118
BHPian

Because we don't believe in handing out an award for the "horn of the year" or "brake pedal of the year"

This fierce independence is what gives us credibility.

Voted Thar. That terrific safety rating is icing on a wonderful (though "lifestyle") product.
Old 4th December 2020, 07:36   #119
Senior - BHPian

For me it is Nissan as they have revived the possibility of affordable yet not "made to cost" product for first time buyers as well as masses in general.

More so, the commitment from the top management reflects in product pricing and that's how it connected with buyers so quickly; I am equally amazed that the launch of Magnite has taken all the focus away from recently launched Hyundai i20.

Its a non-offensive design with an offensive pricing against market big-wigs.
Old 4th December 2020, 08:02   #120
BHPian

Voted for the EV. Looking forward to the future.
A giant step for Indian car owners.

Thar - a close second is looking back to memories that never even actually existed. Just fantasies.
Sree is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks