Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Left Foot Braking - Yay or Nay?
Yay 40 10.44%
Nay 343 89.56%
Voters: 383. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2020, 14:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Left Foot Braking - Yay or Nay?

Left Foot Braking - Yay or Nay?-capture.jpg

Awesome isn't it? I mean, how often do you learn to apply brakes with your left leg? Ain't this something challenging to learn, if not safe? I would really like to have a conversation with the mind behind the picture!!

Last edited by aargee : 3rd December 2020 at 14:56.
aargee is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Left Foot Braking - Yay or Nay?

That's quite a dumb view if you ask me. For someone who's been driving for a while, the foot movements are done at a subconscious level - you see a red signal or some obstruction, your hand goes to change the gear (with your left foot on clutch) while your right foot is taken of the accelerator and moved to the brake when needed. You don't really pay attention to what your hand or foot is doing.

Trying to re-learn / un-learn that combination will bring confusion as well as even potentially be dangerous as to the possibility of pressing both feet on both levers by mistake.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2020 at 18:56. Reason: quiet > quite
ninjatalli is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I mean, how often do you learn to apply brakes with your left leg?
I use my left leg for braking in all my automatics. Perfectly safe. Manual transmission I revert to the conventional style.
vikram_d is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:51   #4
BHPian

I thought it was a mistake by artist, hence ignored earlier.
My left leg doesnt have the sensitivity to smoothen the braking anyway and even if I manage that somehow, I will probabaly stall the vehicle by that time.
No thanks.
Vijin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 16:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

I tried it once in my street, that was it. I will never do that again. The right leg is trained to apply brakes. Even subconsciously you will get the perfect timing and the right length. Use your left leg and you will either brake hard or not at all.
Raghu M is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think its a bad practice- the forces of acceleration and braking work in different proportions. In an emergency situation which can occur even at 10kmph, pressing A and B pedals with right and left legs with inconsistent force could result in the car actually accelerating instead of stopping, and the person/vehicle in front could be a casualty of that.
fhdowntheline is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:38   #7
BHPian

I think it is not the right way of braking. For AMTs, it should work fine. But in MTs, if we press the brake pedal with the left leg, won't the engine stall if the left leg is not brought back to the clutch at the right time? Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Tom Sooraj : 3rd December 2020 at 17:43.
Tom Sooraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

This is from the same set that gave us the speed warning on new cars, at least they know that there are 3 pedals in a manual transmission car.

How about being allowed to drive at the permitted speed without livestock, pedestrian and wrong way drivers sharing the badly maintained, high price highways?
avira_tk is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:40   #9
BHPian

What is the point here? Is it the picture? Why did this come up all of sudden when everyone is using his/her right/left foot for the assigned pedals?

Dont fix it when it ain't broken .

Only once have I driven an automatic and I just left the left leg idle. Used the right leg just as in a manual.
Nalin1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 17:47   #10
BHPian

The left leg for most indian drivers is trained to operate a clutch. Hence the leg action is swift and hard. Trying to press the brake pedal using the left leg will make you perform a panic stop (not good in traffic). The idea is to respect your muscle memory and use the left leg for clutch (keep it idle in an automatic) and use the right leg for accelerator and brake. Remember we are not participating in a rally or a race to perform clutchless shifting, left foot braking and hand brake turns.
AirbusCapt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 18:12   #11
BHPian

This is definitely an error from the artist. It's just not possible to drive a manual car by controlling the brakes using the left foot.

1) How can you drive the car in bumper-to-bumper traffic in this way?
The car's gonna stall for every stop as there's no left foot to modulate the clutch and use the brake simultaneously.
2) The same can be said about driving in inclines.

It's just an unwanted hassle to use the right foot for brake in one situation and left foot for another. Unwanted confusion and can rather be an invitation to disaster.

People who are used to driving might brush this off as an error from the artist. But what about newbie or families that are completely new to driving?

Last edited by Tojo_GotBhp : 3rd December 2020 at 18:13.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if there is an error in the picture or may be the artist is trying to convey something else which I do not understand !

As universally known his right foot should have been on the brake pedal and his left foot to the left of (or next to) clutch pedal.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I use my left leg for braking in all my automatics. Perfectly safe. Manual transmission I revert to the conventional style.
I don't know how do you manage to do it but even in automatics people use the right leg only for braking as there are chances this might cause a confusion that the driver might press both the brake and the accelerator in a panic situation.

So, the practice is to remove the leg from the accelerator and put on the brake when braking rather than using the left leg for braking.

Last edited by sv97 : 3rd December 2020 at 19:54.
sv97 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post

When I drove an automatic for the first time ever in the United States after driving a manual for many years in India, I actually put my left leg on brake and applied more force on the pedal (thinking it to be a clutch), the vehicle stalled abruptly, this was in the parking lot of University and it was such an awkward moment in front of my new friends at the University

May be my brain programmed my left leg to use only clutch. I always use right leg between accelerator and brake in Manuals and I use only right leg to control accelerator or brake in Automatics. I use the dead pedal for my left leg to rest it as well as for safety. Strangely, I don't have this issue with Gokarts, may be due to the seating position and the pedals and our legs being placed far off.

I just want to buy an electric vehicle, it's regenerative charging method will help me only use right leg and only one pedal, the accelerator. Whenever I want to slow down, I can just remove my foot off the accelerator, less strain to our foot and more gain in terms of range gain.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 20:45   #15
BHPian

This image was probably designed by YouTuber Faisal Khan. He always goes 'Left Foot on the Brake, Right Foot on the Accelerator' in all his car reviews.
nikipedia87 is offline   (34) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks