Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2021, 16:38   #121
BHPian

Re: Petrol price crosses Rs. 90 / litre in Mumbai, diesel at Rs. 80

I guess we'll have to wait till elections for the fuel prices to go down.
iamahunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 14:48   #122
Senior - BHPian

Petrol price rises further to Rs 91.90 and diesel to Rs 82.13 per litre in Mumbai today. All India Motor Transport Congress calls for emergency meeting to discuss the issue of the rapid rise in fuel prices, which is having a cascading effect on the economy

Quote:
Bal Malkit Singh, chairman-core committee and former president, All India Motor Transport Congress said, “The government is taking undue advantage of the vulnerability of the consumers. They bluntly refuse to lower the fuel prices when international crude oil prices plummeted.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

Petrol (Rs 92.28) and diesel (Rs 82.66) hit a new high today in India with latest price hike. Since April 1, 2020 petrol prices are up by Rs 17 a litre & diesel by Rs 17.47.

Petrol price crosses Rs. 90 / litre in Mumbai, diesel at Rs. 80-20210123_103844.jpg

A sample of the price build-up of petrol and diesel prices (on january 16, 2021, in Delhi)

Petrol price crosses Rs. 90 / litre in Mumbai, diesel at Rs. 80-smartselect_20210123104119_chrome.jpg

Petrol price crosses Rs. 90 / litre in Mumbai, diesel at Rs. 80-smartselect_20210123104219_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 10:56   #124
BHPian

That's why we need a strong opposition, to speak out on issues like this and to question government on its every move. When you have a government with this strong majority it feels like a dictatorship.

And somehow the people of our country are so happy with the current government that they have stopped saying or questioning how things are going on.

It's time to go electric now i think cause nothing's gonna change and soon the prices will hit a century.
yesyeswe is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 18:59   #125
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Petrol (Rs 92.28) and diesel (Rs 82.66) hit a new high today in India with latest price hike. Since April 1, 2020 petrol prices are up by Rs 17 a litre & diesel by Rs 17.47.
My father is an authorized distributor of a few companies in a district of Kerala. We have 6 LCVs running approximately a total of 800 km per day with an average FE of 7kmpl. Daily consumption of diesel is 110 L. So an increase of 17 rupees/per liter of diesel increases the daily expenses by Rs.1870 and monthly expenses by more than Rs.50,000/-. Looks like my father has to close down the business soon. There is no practical electric LCVs available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
That's why we need a strong opposition, to speak out on issues like this and to question government on its every move
Actually what we need is a strong and honest media. Media is the fourth pillar of democracy.

Last edited by anb : 1st February 2021 at 19:08.
anb is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 20:01   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post

Actually what we need is a strong and honest media. Media is the fourth pillar of democracy.
I forgot about the media somehow, an unbiased media is the most important thing, they are the ones who makes our perspective, and specially in our country where people are so gullible, we need unbiased reporting, but sadly that's not the case.
yesyeswe is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 21:19   #127
BHPian

And we are at 100+ for V Power

So I filled in Shell today. Was surprised to see it at 104 for V Power Petrol and 94 for Normal Petrol ! That's a new. With this new daily change of price, it's so frequent that no one is there for protests and all as well. Smart move.
abhisheksircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 12:44   #128
BANNED

It is surprising that people expect that the price of fuel should never go up. Lots of political statements too here!

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2021 at 08:19. Reason: Do NOT TROLL, or wrongly comment on supposed Moderator ideologies
fiestarry is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th February 2021, 13:19   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
It is surprising that people expect that the price of fuel should never go up. Lots of political statements too here!
Isn't it obvious that any person would not want the price of anything to go up? That's normal human psychology.

The issue here is the gargantuan tax imposed on every litre of fuel. That is the key issue. I am fed up of paying taxes on everything and in return get a sub standard state of living and watching people go about their lives in abject poverty. That is not on. Heck even the fuel is adulterated!

Why doesn't the government fix leaks in the system as opposed to constantly pushing taxes?

Just yesterday a young aspiring MBBS student lost her young life because of bad roads in the middle of the city in Bangalore. She fell off her scooter and got run over by the city municipality truck of all vehicles.

If any country needs a revolution, its India.

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2021 at 08:20. Reason: Quoted post edited
Red Liner is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 13:28   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No ideologies here mate. I just want the poor and lower middle class survive and not starve because the basic utilities prices have gone beyond their reach.

Fuel prices can go up, but not by 20 rupees in a year.

PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 13:51   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Why doesn't the government fix leaks in the system as opposed to constantly pushing taxes?
If any country needs a revolution, its India.
Didn't we vote for this government because of same issues that previous government had?

Leaving politics aside for moment I have to give credit to the government for keeping commodity prices relatively stable despite increase in fuel prices. Unless fuel prices affects commodity prices be prepared to pay more for fuel.
Old 7th February 2021, 13:52   #132
BANNED

No one starves because of a fuel price hike by a few rupees...the lower and middle classes have their own survival mechanisms.
Along with every price rise, the price of most commodities go up, and soon enough do the rates for labour etc.
It isn't as though the lower and middle classes are earning the same that they were earning thirty years ago while the fuel prices have gone up .
Besides, the freebies that each Govt doles out to the economically backward, come from such revenue on fuel etc.
Ranting about fuel prices with political overtones is a good pastime; salary hikes and bigger car, house purchases are a well kept secret.
Old 7th February 2021, 13:56   #133
BHPian

Quote:
That’s a very strong statement. I leave it to your judgement a piece of history.

It was in May 2012, crude oil was trading at 120$, the fuel prices were hiked for a fifth time in a year. Petrol price was raised to 73. The then opposition tweeted it as a massive failure of Government (source).
Today crude is trading at 60$ and petrol is closing triple digits, I leave it to your judgement who is turning “blind eye”.

Thermodynamics is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 13:57   #134
Senior - BHPian

I guess it's the new normal now. I paid around 500 bucks more for a full tank of fuel then the last time I filled in Mar 2020. On the other hand offices still being in self lock down mode and people working from home we are saved from the double whammy. (Rising costs due to higher fuel prices + rise in cost of driving a vehicle)
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 13:59   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No one starves because of a fuel price hike by a few rupees...the lower and middle classes have their own survival mechanisms.
Along with every price rise, the price of most commodities go up, and soon enough do the rates for labour etc.
It isn't as though the lower and middle classes are earning the same that they were earning thirty years ago while the fuel prices have gone up .
Besides, the freebies that each Govt doles out to the economically backward, come from such revenue on fuel etc.
Ranting about fuel prices with political overtones is a good pastime; salary hikes and bigger car, house purchases are a well kept secret.
Disagree to all the points there.

Rates of labour donot rise proportionately as the price of commodities.

Lower middle class and middle class survival mechanism isn't any magic. They consume less in order to survive. You can only reduce consumption to a certain limit.

Inflation is real, just like your point on salaries going up compared to thirty years ago.

Freebies? ROFL

It's easy to stay at a pedestal and turn a blind eye to the people who actually struggle on a day to day basis.

Does it mean that someone who buys a house or a new car shouldn't worry about rising fuel prices? He worked hard and earned his house/car. That doesn't make it justifiable for the government to overburden him with taxes, left and right.

I will rant and so can you. In my opinion your views suggest that we have no rights to criticise the government. As far as I remember, this is still a free country. I wish you saw things as they are, instead of being overshadowed by your inclination towards a certain political establishment.

I have got nothing more to contribute over this argument here. Let's agree to disagree.

Peace.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th February 2021 at 14:03.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (22) Thanks

Most Viewed