Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2020, 21:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Petrol price crosses Rs. 90 / litre in Mumbai, diesel at Rs. 80

Vast number of members on the forum are from IT background. 90% of these people have been working from home for over 10 months now. I myself might have saved over a Lakh in conveyance and related expenses

We are always vocal about the plight of poor, but don't want our savings to be touched or taxed. Where is the govt expected to pull in money for welfare schemes with tax and revenue collection at all time low? Are any of us ok with a pandemic surcharge?
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 21:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Vast number of members on the forum are from IT background. 90% of these people have been working from home for over 10 months now. I myself might have saved over a Lakh in conveyance and related expenses

We are always vocal about the plight of poor, but don't want our savings to be touched or taxed. Where is the govt expected to pull in money for welfare schemes with tax and revenue collection at all time low? Are any of us ok with a pandemic surcharge?
There are direct and indirect taxes , while we do not wish to get looted , happy to pay fair share of taxes , in fact the earning middle class is subjected to TDS. If TDS existed for all financial transactions, country would have benefited by being able to extract those who find a way out of tax net. In a country where taxation comes with almost no social benefit , there isn’t much one can do other than cringe and feel like being milked despite working hard to earn that ‘taxable’ sum.

Apologies for being OT.
Thilak29 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:00   #48
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Where is the govt expected to pull in money for welfare schemes with tax and revenue collection at all time low? Are any of us ok with a pandemic surcharge?
Instead of taxing the poor for welfare schemes such as 8500 crore planes and 20k crore Central Vista project, government can tax just two who benefited most of out of this covid era
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol price crosses Rs. 90 / litre in Mumbai, diesel at Rs. 80-4c40d15297434267bb02976b0c39ecf5.jpeg  

anb is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:17   #49
BHPian

Quote:

I don't want to sound sarcastic, but were you joking when you said people are not paying tax in India? You pay over 50 percent income as tax. Any food you eat has double digit tax. Any hospital charges you double digit tax. Any phone you buy has a high tax. Even the insurance you pay has a huge tax.

It is okay to joke around but not okay to mock the plight of folks affected by a fuel price that's as high as Switzerland.

As for where the government has to get money, maybe they should have listened to the educated PhD economists who were unceremoneously asked to leave and now advise a foreign government, because talent and education have no respect in the new atmanirbhar India .

Globally, it is very commonly mentioned these days that India has lost one full generation due to these absolutely ham headed ill advised policies that derailed it from being the fastest growing economy with the potential of being the next manufacturing hub to being compared to Nigeria and Pakistan. Oh well, democracy so majority, not logic, wins.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 9th December 2020 at 22:25.
Cessna182 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:22   #50
BHPian

Sad part about the taxes in India is that most of the money is of no benefit to the citizens,

only the 'lucky' small percent get it thru corruption.

The price of Petrol in Bengaluru is at 86.58.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Touching and grabbing are two different things. Nobody disagreed to pay the taxes, but is this justifiable to collect this much tax when in return we get roads full with crater size potholes and fuel stations without basic facilities like washroom and drinking water? India has the highest tax on fuel around the globe, higher than the countries like Germany, Japan and US. The government(center+state) cleverly increases the tax every-time when the crude oil prices goes down to fill the reduced price gap, but doesn't decrease the tax when fuel prices goes up and let the retail price appreciate.
pawank is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

I have nothing to say. This is a sad thing and a bleed on our savings.

I just hope the whole EV revolution happens here faster. The only issue is see is the whole battery charging time. Maybe they could go for swappable battery packs like how we change gas cylinders. This could bring about a sudden accelerated growth to the whole electric vehicle technology in a country like ours. Or also put some solar panels on the roof of the vehicles.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 22:44   #53
BHPian

I think my next car is going to be an EV. If am not able to save for a Kona, am buying the Nexon at least. Am feeling ashamed for allowing myself to be looted by this govt.

ps: I hope they don't devise any innovative ways to tax the electricity I'd use for charging the EV.
dragonfire is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 23:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
I think my next car is going to be an EV. If am not able to save for a Kona, am buying the Nexon at least. Am feeling ashamed for allowing myself to be looted by this govt.

ps: I hope they don't devise any innovative ways to tax the electricity I'd use for charging the EV.

Better to invest in solar panels also to charge the vehicle!

I do hope we get a good under 10L OTR electric car with some 200kms range and be a full sized car for regular use.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 23:11   #55
BHPian

Time to pause biking and driving as the fuel price touched a century in Shell Bangalore (for V power)

For people who just started their careers (like me), we think of saving up a portion of our income and then spend. However this government squeezes your hard earned salary in I-T and tons of other indirect taxes(GST on every single thing is so annoying)which we pay for almost everything, yet we get the worst possible quality of life in return. For salaried class and unorganized sectors, it's a bane. Business people can atleast get some relief by claiming certain tax benefits.

If people do not oppose now, then there will be a day we will be paying only bills and taxes and hardly any money to eat or live because petroleum products have a direct impact on one's lifestyle. Everything is dependent on petrol/diesel and obviously the food you order or the bus you board is going to be way more expensive. Not to forget that tyres for our won vehicles need to be changed every year or two due to lack of roads and only craters can be found.

If all unite and a strike happens, then the government might reconsider. They take people for granted thinking anyway we need to fill fuel.

I hope this government does not start charging extra for electricity and for waiting time at EV charging stations.
jithin23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 23:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
I don't want to sound sarcastic, but were you joking when you said people are not paying tax in India? You pay over 50 percent income as tax. Any food you eat has double digit tax. Any hospital charges you double digit tax. Any phone you buy has a high tax. Even the insurance you pay has a huge tax.

It is okay to joke around but not okay to mock the plight of folks affected by a fuel price that's as high as Switzerland.

As for where the government has to get money, maybe they should have listened to the educated PhD economists who were unceremoneously asked to leave and now advise a foreign government, because talent and education have no respect in the new atmanirbhar India .
I stand by my statement. Covid has resulted in huge savings for most of the people who are commenting here. India with such a large number of poor people need welfare schemes and that need to be funded somehow.
3% own a car and around 30% own a bike in this country. I anyway empathize with the plight of a bike owner and farmers who use fuel.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 23:58   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

To everyone wanting to go the EV route. Rest assured, all sops will be rolled back once they start doing meaningful numbers. Then, a surcharge will be applied on your road tax amount for "something creative like electricity infrastructure cess". A flat rate fee on every charging station which will go directly to the Govt, on top of the electricity charge.

No, I can't see the future, but for this one time, past performance is a measure of future performance.

All we can do is consume less, to spend less. Grin, bear and move on.
Dry Ice is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 00:41   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Salaried workforce is a minority, 23% of the workforce and those who work from home is an even smaller number. Do you think this 23% come in tax bracket? Nope, perhaps 1 or 2% , so now even if government takes all our money through income tax, it's not going to help.

We need urgent measures to increase employment and boost GDP growth and increase consumption. We have got to do some work or make something and sell it to earn our wealth.

Hope you were aware that we were at a 45 year low unemployment rate at the beginning of 2019 itself. Our GDP is also in decline since many years before 2020 , so now the brilliant idea is to tax fuel and cause inflation, pushing millions more into poverty.

Well it is brilliant because now those millions in poverty is at government's mercy aka welfare schemes aka vote bank.
Kosfactor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 01:35   #59
BHPian

Well the vast majority of our population is so happy with the exploitation of one particular community by the government, construction of statues, renaming of places, new government building being built , that they have forgotten about the actual serious things that matter.

We have stopped questioning the government, if anyone dares to question, then he/she is declared an anti national or belonging to the opposition . So what does a small group of educated people can do? Apart from getting frustrated and discussing among some like minded friends.

And unfortunately we don't have a strong opposition, otherwise it's their duty to question the government and force them into making some changes. And the media? It's better if we don't talk about the media

So friends till the time we can afford to fill up our fuel tanks, let's not worry about this stuff and ride on, as nothing gonna happen anytime soon.
yesyeswe is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 02:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
I just hope the whole EV revolution happens here faster. The only issue is see is the whole battery charging time. Maybe they could go for swappable battery packs like how we change gas cylinders. This could bring about a sudden accelerated growth to the whole electric vehicle technology in a country like ours. Or also put some solar panels on the roof of the vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Better to invest in solar panels also to charge the vehicle!

I do hope we get a good under 10L OTR electric car with some 200kms range and be a full sized car for regular use.
Taxing hydrocarbons is a quick easy fix for governments to increase revenue. Fuel duties and taxes are bound to rise in the west as well, the environment is a convenient excuse.

I too believe EVs are the answer. By installing Solar panels, the fact we can generate our own fuel to power our cars/two wheelers is too good to ignore! One thing India is blessed with is plenty of sunlight.

For 90% of our driving needs, charging overnight at home will suffice. For everything else there is Uber/Ola/Railways or Indigo. With working form home being an increasingly accepted phenomenon, routine travel will also begin to taper of.

The biggest challenge will be the massive mental-block people will face when jumping from such a deeply embedded technology i.e IC engines to something very new like EVs. In a couple of months time they will find out that Range anxiety is simply not an issue after repeated use.

What does worry me though is electricity tarrifs will go through the roof, so being able to generate ones own energy is a necessary investment for the future.
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks