Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2013, 12:51   #511
Senior - BHPian

re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
For the actual HSRP, you need to present the RC Book and Tax token to the RTO and the pay the money at the RTO. They issue a challan which needs to be presented at a specified dealer, who will make and install the plates for you.

The current HSRPs are just a hoax - plate makers making a quick buck by selling fake HSRPs.
Binaik,

Thanks for the above info

Is this process now in Kerala ? Any idea who is designated/specified dealer for Trivandrum

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 18th June 2013, 12:54   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Binaik,

Thanks for the above info

Is this process now in Kerala ? Any idea who is designated/specified dealer for Trivandrum

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Kerala has not yet started. You need to approach your RTO, not the dealer. The RTO will take the money and re-direct you to the appropriate dealer.
Old 18th June 2013, 13:17   #513
BHPian

I stand corrected however I do not think we have HSNP still available yet. What's the whole point in buying a lookalike of them? I checked for my FIGO and was quoted 1k for a set of 2 plates.

Any idea when it will become law and get implemented in Karnataka?
Old 18th June 2013, 13:55   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Any idea when it will become law and get implemented in Karnataka?
There will be a notification to that effect in newspapers, and I am sure BTP will come up with details on their facebook page as well as the information displays on main roads.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 17:29   #515
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have 2 issues regarding the HSNP - one the front windshield is broken and needs to be replaced, how will I get a new registration sticker?

2nd the front HSNP was pulled out from one side by roadside urchins and the snap lock does not seem to fit back into the bumper, so every now and then the plate hangs on one nut - the temporary fix is fevi-quick, but what's the permanent fix?
Old 28th July 2013, 19:26   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post

2nd the front HSNP was pulled out from one side by roadside urchins and the snap lock does not seem to fit back into the bumper, so every now and then the plate hangs on one nut - the temporary fix is fevi-quick, but what's the permanent fix?
For the second query, have seen umpteen number of cars wherein the HSNP was mounted with nuts/bolts. The best way is to take a slightly larger diameter nut and screw it in place of broken rivet.
Old 17th September 2013, 10:29   #517
Team-BHP Support

It appears Surat RTO has started issuing HSRP since a while now. And the rates are very very decent at Rs. 350 for LMV and Rs. 120 for two-wheelers.

Even the rates for the replacement plates are neatly specified.

Link - http://www.rtosurat.gujarat.gov.in/r...ntent_id=27107

I shall enquire with VW dealership if they are issuing these number plates for newer cars. We may have to take a day off from work to get this installed.

PS: Link for the English version of the website is broken.
Old 19th September 2013, 23:40   #518
Team-BHP Support

Alright I did come across a few cars here with HSRP. I wanted to click a few snaps but since the respective owners weren't around, it didn't seem like a good idea.

The number plates look exactly like the fakes except that there is a laser etched number just below the 'IND'. And the whole job looks pretty slick and neat. The number plate is pretty thin as well - may be an mm or two at the most. That's a number sheet technically!

The rear number plate is held on to the bumper using some button-like metal rivet. Pop the plate out and there's no way it can be secured back by the regular users/thieves. The front one had regular metal rivets we notice on sheet-metal jobs.

Let me see if I can find a car with an owner around. Can post a few snaps that way. There are a few cars which have HSRPs here.

PS: Mods may merge the two successive posts of mine.
Old 28th September 2013, 21:39   #519
Team-BHP Support

Damn, a third consecutive post of mine!

OK, I managed to click a few snaps of a HSRP installed in a Fazer parked in our apartment. The snaps are below.

It appears the numbers are inscribed on a reflective number plate. When the phone cam's flash fell on it, it shined brightly.

Without flash (front):

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-front-wof.jpg

With flash (front):

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-front-wf.jpg

Without flash (rear):

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-rear-wof.jpg

With flash (rear):

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-rear-wf.jpg

You can also notice a laser etched number on the left side of the plates beneath the IND mark. I've blanked parts of it. It isn't visible from a distance, probably it is not meant to be. But the hologram was of high quality and did not feel like a sticker.

The plates were held by rivets on the front and rear. On almost all cars save for one Duster I spotted today, I've noticed that the rear plate has a round-head bolt like fastener instead of a rivet. So far I did not notice any of them being corroded but that may be because these plates were issued recently. Only time will tell. The paint has already worn off on one of the front plates of this bike. I guess we get what we paid for!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th September 2013 at 21:42.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 17:49   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The plates were held by rivets on the front and rear. On almost all cars save for one Duster I spotted today, I've noticed that the rear plate has a round-head bolt like fastener instead of a rivet.
These are break off screws. Initially the screw would be like a normal screw with head and a deep cut. When the screws are fastened, after certain force, the neck where the deep cut is made yields off. This ensures correct tightening toque and also secured plates which cannot be swapped within a short time with the help of normal tools.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 19:44   #521
BHPian

I've got HSRP on my Amaze. Since in Delhi it is necessary so whole process was done by showroom and RTO.
The number plates have laser code, although a it isn't visible if i take a photo from cam.

Few points
-HSRP will allow government to have centralized database for motor vehicles.
-The laser code is detectable by a detector camera. It's a useful feature in case a car is stolen but india is still decades away before this tech can be implemented.
-The installation is complex process. I saw it personally so installing a new one by thief would not be possible.
-Use plates only after government has legalized it otherwise you'll pay more and may not get right product.
-A sticker is put on windshield.
-Cost in Delhi is around 350.
Old 30th September 2013, 13:09   #522
Senior - BHPian

Are HSRP plates mandatory in Bangalore? How much should I be paying (if anything) to the dealer for these plates for a 2 wheeler?
Old 30th September 2013, 15:52   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
-

HSRP will allow government to have centralized database for motor vehicles.
-The laser code is detectable by a detector camera. It's a useful feature in case a car is stolen but india is still decades away before this tech can be implemented.
May not be long away actually: I understand that Automatic Number Plate Recognition Systems (ANPRS) has already been mandated by the Central Government for sensitive installations like airports, ports, key flyovers/bridges, prohibited places etc.

Only a matter of time I think. The technology is now widely tested and established and costs have also dropped hugely.

Although I fear Big Brother, we will benefit from it in India given the terrorism-related risks all around!
Old 18th October 2013, 08:58   #524
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai

Since about 12 days, the Police has started cracking down on (shops selling) the easily available Embossed Number Plates available in Mumbai. Supposedly Illegal: Ones with IND on the side and Hologram and or Ashoka Chakra and IND print on the embossed numbers. Making it illegal for selling and driving with number plates with stuff like IND, black on silver plates, Colour patches one side, dealer name below etc. kinds of number palates and even those supposedly from Utsav.

Evidently as per the Dealers the Layout itself is being found objectionable and they can now only sell normal number plates (embossed or not) without any IND printed. The Police is expected to crackdown on those who have already installed IND plates.

Also the RTO will approve and make access to a legally approved number plate in due course. (I guess similar to what is being described for Gujarat and Kerala in earlier posts.)

The above info is based on visits to a few shops in Thane area - all which earlier did have this kind of number plates but now do not and nor can they get one made available even if one is willing to pay them extra for it. It is a very recent development so some new cars as recently as 15days back may have got these kinds of plates but they are no longer of an approved design. (Probably never were.)

If someone is aware of a new procedure to get new RTO approved (with RTO approval document) embossed kind of number plates in Mumbai do post it.

In the meanwhile I got myself an embossed number plate without the IND markings and hologram just for the appearance.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 09:52   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Mumbai

Since about 12 days....
Hi ACM,

Thanks for the informative post. I understand that the HSNP sold by regular shops are neither approved nor truly HS. I am planning to get my Dzire's number plates changed. Had checked with Popular Cars (Malad W, Link Road). They quoted Rs 1000 for both front and rear. I will now wait till there is clarity on the issue. Please guide.

Regards,
Dushyant

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th October 2013 at 12:36. Reason: Shortening quoted post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks