Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 11:29   #571
BHPian

re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Indeed they are banned aftermarket. You have got to apply for these at the RTO. These come with a sticker that has to be pasted on the windshield.

The difference is, instead of targeting the motorists they are after the makers of these - the source. That's why the ban seems much more effective in this case as compared to the other 'fancy' plates.

Here is a sample news - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/30864818.cms
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
The high-security plates are supposed to be obtained from the RTO directly. If you buy it from a local shop, it's a fake. I think banning fakes is a good idea, though I'm surprised they're actually doing it
Thanks for the information dry ice and rissd could someone tell me what is the procedure one has to go through to get these plates. Also my car is MH 01 registered so does this mean I have to go to the Tardeo RTO or can I go to any RTO
Old 11th July 2014, 11:43   #572
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
The high-security plates are supposed to be obtained from the RTO directly. If you buy it from a local shop, it's a fake. I think banning fakes is a good idea, though I'm surprised they're actually doing it
If they had banned the fancy letters etc. and plates in extended Devanagri (I find Uttar Pradesh spelt out in full in tink Devanagri is getting popular, we may never have needed HSRPs. Why could they not insist on Plates as per BIS as mandatory.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:27   #573
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Thanks for the information dry ice and rissd could someone tell me what is the procedure one has to go through to get these plates. Also my car is MH 01 registered so does this mean I have to go to the Tardeo RTO or can I go to any RTO
I am not aware of the process in MH, but for already registered vehicles my guess is you will need to apply to the RTO where you car is registered.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 14:58   #574
BANNED

Quote:
Also my car is MH 01 registered so does this mean I have to go to the Tardeo RTO or can I go to any RTO
You'll have to go to the RTO where your car has been originally registered. Just apply for HSNP with the required amount asked (I guess it is 600-800 bucks).

Quote:
I am not aware of the process in MH, but for already registered vehicles my guess is you will need to apply to the RTO where you car is registered.
Spot-on.

Anurag.
Old 11th July 2014, 15:19   #575
BHPian

I agree the HSNP is a good idea, but there are still a lot of grey areas,
I have it on my Safari, and in an accident recently the Rear Bumper had to be replaced which resulted in the Number Plate also getting replaced. This would have meant applying again at the RTO and asking them to refit it. I had no clue what all documentation they would require. Anyways, a mechanic in Sec. 16 Noida was able to refit it just like original.

Then one fine day a stone hit my windshield and it got cracked, so I had to replace it. Now the sticker that comes along with the HSNP cannot be peeled off. You can see VOID VOID written all over it if one tries. But again, had no clue if the sticker alone can be replaced, so currently I have pasted whatever is left of the sticker on my new windshield.
Does anyone know what the process is to get a new sticker?

Cheers!
Ajit
Old 11th July 2014, 15:47   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I have it on my Safari, and in an accident recently the Rear Bumper had to be replaced which resulted in the Number Plate also getting replaced
Give this a try - http://180.151.100.242/STATUS/

Enter your registration number - it will give you RTO location/phone/email (depending on your registration address), contact them and find out how to replace the number plate and get another sticker.

Do share whatever you find.
Old 12th July 2014, 23:48   #577
BHPian

Quote:
I have it on my Safari, and in an accident recently the Rear Bumper had to be replaced which resulted in the Number Plate also getting replaced. This would have meant applying again at the RTO and asking them to refit it. I had no clue what all documentation they would require. Anyways, a mechanic in Sec. 16 Noida was able to refit it just like original.

Then one fine day a stone hit my windshield and it got cracked, so I had to replace it. Now the sticker that comes along with the HSNP cannot be peeled off. You can see VOID VOID written all over it if one tries. But again, had no clue if the sticker alone can be replaced, so currently I have pasted whatever is left of the sticker on my new windshield.

Cheers!
Ajit
Quote:
Hey Ajit!
I had to get my HSNP replaced through one of these RTO authorised shops because of an accident and the subsequent bumper replacement.

I do remember seeing a stack of the blank windshield stickers there, my guess is they should be able to print one for you.
I suggest you give them a call (from Dry Ice's link above)or visit the nearest shop and enquire about the procedure.
Old 13th July 2014, 09:36   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If what you are looking for is just the so called IND plates and not the high security plates ( which has to be sourced through RTO, not sure if implemented in MH) , you can get the same from accessory shops. They charge anything from ₹ 750 -1500 for car plates. However please avoid installing the ones with blue vertical line on the left. Police sometimes fines them as fancy plates.
Old 19th July 2014, 11:26   #579

I got my ecosport registered at RTO , the agent told me there wasn't any need for HSNP number plates. I want to get them but i'm a little confused , are they still valid or is there a new rule for telengana ? If i want to get them done, how many days do they generally take and do they affix them at khairtabad rto or at some other shop ? Thanks.

Last edited by Heis3nberg : 19th July 2014 at 11:33.
Old 19th July 2014, 11:44   #580
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers!
Ajit
My neighbor's Indigo CS in Kolkata was rear ended recently resulting in a caved in trunk and a mangled rear number plate. When the car came back from repairs recently, I noticed a computer printed sheet bearing the registration number laminated and stuck where the rear number plate is usually riveted. Upon asking the driver, he said that the damaged number plate had been deposited with the RTO (Beltola in this case) along with the requisite fees of around Rs. 600/- and they had been issued a receipt bearing the date when the new number plate was scheduled to be affixed. Interestingly, both the number plates are being re-issued - apparently they come in pairs!
Old 19th July 2014, 18:35   #581
BHPian

Quote:
I have it on my Safari, and in an accident recently the Rear Bumper had to be replaced which resulted in the Number Plate also getting replaced. ... Anyways, a mechanic in Sec. 16 Noida was able to refit it just like original.
Cool, and to think one of the USPs of these 'High Security' plates are that they are tamper proof and cannot be affixed on other vehicles. So much for that assumption!

This article (http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle1938013.ece) quotes the Transport Commissioner of A.P. as follows

Explaining the advantages of the new number plates, transport commissioner G Anantha Ramu who made the announcement on Monday, said that the number plates are very difficult to replicate, forge or steal and that they cannot be transferred.

Maybe your mechanic should be invited by the RTO guys to give them a talk on how 'high' security this plate technology is.

Last edited by Kumar R : 19th July 2014 at 18:42.
Old 3rd August 2014, 00:38   #582
BHPian

While cleaning my car today I noticed how badly rusted the HSNP screws are.

Here are two images taken of the state of the two screws on rear 'tamper-proof' HS plates of my Polo - installed after a slightly roundabout process by an authorised agency operating out of the PVD premises in Kolkata, no doubt after passing stringent norms for quality control. The plates are slightly more than three years old. The car is kept 24x7 in an enclosed and elevated garage. Plus in the Polo the rear plates are slightly shielded from rain due to the alcove in the bumper.

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-dsc00343.jpg

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-dsc00344.jpg

Surprisingly the screws on the rear plates of our M800 seem to be in much better shape - even the quality of the white paint seems better. The plates date back to 2003 when the colour coding changed (so almost 11 years). These were installed by a mechanic in the neighbourhood within a day after making a phone call with nothing other than a screwdriver and twenty minutes. This car stays in an uncovered garage and the plates are very much subject to rain. Plus of course, the M800 has been used a lot more (it's done 132,000 kms over 27 years)

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-dsc00345.jpg

After all the technical wizardry of HSNPs, some things never change.

Last edited by Kumar R : 3rd August 2014 at 00:40.
Old 3rd August 2014, 05:51   #583
BANNED

I bought HS type plates for my Civic from one of the suppliers four years ago, these plates are the same except for the laser stuff, and they came with a couple pairs of snap off fasteners. So these are also, if I say so, tamper proof. I am sure these snap off bolts are there somewhere in the market. They also had to make a living since these were at that time stuck in the bureaucracy.

Last edited by sgiitk : 3rd August 2014 at 05:52.
Old 3rd August 2014, 07:41   #584
BHPian

Thanks for the information mpksuhas.Is HSRP introduced in Karnataka? If so,where to apply for the same in Mysore? Do I need to visit Bangalore?
Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 20:26   #585
BHPian

Hi all. I got a Fortuner last month & was keen on a HSRP. But on inquiring in Bombay from at least 4-5 license plate makers & also some automotive shops in the Opera house area- they all said that the RTO has banned them from making it . They were not even making it with the IND sign. I got the usual one made ,but am wondering if I take the car to other states will it give the local cops/RTO a reason to harass for not having the IND /HSRP? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks