Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2015, 07:49   #616
BHPian

Can any of you please share what advantages you may have with these plates than the regular ones? Ease at RTO? Better inter state information sharing in case of theft?
Old 5th January 2015, 07:52   #617
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Can any of you please share what advantages you may have with these plates than the regular ones? Ease at RTO? Better inter state information sharing in case of theft?
1) It is neater and enhances the overall look of the car;

2) Theft proof which you have pointed out already.

Since the plates have the Unique code below the hologram it'll be easier to track the owner data and may help in case of theft.
Old 5th January 2015, 10:42   #618
BHPian

re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
1) It is neater and enhances the overall look of the car;

2) Theft proof which you have pointed out already.

Since the plates have the Unique code below the hologram it'll be easier to track the owner data and may help in case of theft.
Thanks. My question was how it works in case of theft? If a car is stolen, we report it at the local police station with the license plate and other details (chassis number, registration etc.). Not sure if having a HS plate or a regular license plate will change that.

Can the HS license plate be removed like the regular one? Is there a common database linked between the police and the RTO only for HS plates? If that's the case, then I'd assume that selling a stolen car would be difficult as it would show up as stolen in that database (if used properly).

Just trying to figure out if this is a government / dealer run scam to scare poor us into forking out more cash.
Old 5th January 2015, 16:57   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Thanks. My question was how it works in case of theft? If a car is stolen, we report it at the local police station with the license plate and other details (chassis number, registration etc.). Not sure if having a HS plate or a regular license plate will change that.

Can the HS license plate be removed like the regular one? Is there a common database linked between the police and the RTO only for HS plates? If that's the case, then I'd assume that selling a stolen car would be difficult as it would show up as stolen in that database (if used properly).

Just trying to figure out if this is a government / dealer run scam to scare poor us into forking out more cash.
Yes, these plates can be removed and fixed back, although not recommended.
The only advantage is that you have a Sticker on the windshield which specifies the Chasis #, Engine # and Regn # so if someone changes the Number Plate the real number would still be visible, unless someone removes the sticker too.
Apart from it I see no other advantage.
The other thing is that these plates are really thin and will be the first thing to go if someone is involved in a minor accident.

I heard there's a chip in these plates that contains the vehicle information but I am yet to find out its location in mine.

Just to alert everyone: Only RTO is authorized to install these plates, the rest all are FAKE no matter how original they look.
Old 5th January 2015, 16:57   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfOctave View Post
I've a query.

My Verna is registered with CH-01 AQ registration. From recent news, CH RTo has started issuing HS plates for old vehicles.

The problem with me is that I am currently posted to a place in state of Assam and my car is with me in Assam itself. Is there any way to affix the plate now? Obviously, it will not be possible for me to take my vehicle to Chandigarh. I can visit RTO with paper though.

Please help.

P.S.- I am only 3 post old in this forum, so also tell if this is the right place to ask advice in this context.
IT is possible with some jugaad. you need to submit the papers and then speak with an agent who will get the plates. They usually don't hand over the plates to you, but with some jugaad it is possible. You can carry them and get them fixed with the seals/rivets, which are same across india.

The RTO process sucks in chandigarh, which is why i bought my new car in gurgaon, even though it was cheaper in chandigarh.
Old 22nd March 2015, 07:51   #621
Senior - BHPian

Be warned .. I was walking past a traffic stop outside the Adyar telephone exchange in Chennai, where a cop had a sample HSRP number plate (IND hot stamped, chakra hologram etc, not the one that has a EU style blue strip and IND)

He was asking motorists with such plates to replace them with regular black painted / stickered plates in the standard font, or at least paint over the IND / hologram and sticker the "india" embossed letters / numbers on the plate with black stickers.

Claimed that the RTO never gave any such firms a contract so far, and that they wanted to clear all such plates off the roads so that whenever a new vendor is identified, they would be able to introduce a single standard format for these plates.
Old 22nd March 2015, 09:31   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Claimed that the RTO never gave any such firms a contract so far, and that they wanted to clear all such plates off the roads so that whenever a new vendor is identified, they would be able to introduce a single standard format for these plates.
The authorities can appoint agencies for installing high security plates and then release an instruction to switch over to these bona-fide plates by a certain date. Simple. Instead why the drive to get the present IND plates removed first and then an intermediate painted ones and subsequently to the High Security single format plates. Bureaucratic way of doing things!

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd March 2015 at 09:34.
Old 22nd March 2015, 13:16   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Not taking a chance with a trip to TN. Stickers on my 'false' IND plates.
Attached Thumbnails
High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-20150322_122006.jpg  

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-20150322_122029.jpg  

Old 9th June 2015, 03:19   #624
BHPian

Guys, I have got new HSRP from Secunderabad Tirumalgherry RTO. However, I did not get any windhield stickers. I totally forgot about these stickers and did not inquire. Anyone else who did not get the windshield stickers but got the HSRP installed at the RTO? Any information?
Old 9th June 2015, 06:34   #625
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
Anyone else who did not get the windshield stickers but got the HSRP installed at the RTO? Any information?
I have seen many newly registered cars with HSRP but no sticker on the windshield.

90%of the new cars registered with "TS XX" are not getting the 3rd sticker on windshield.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 10:23   #626
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen many newly registered cars with HSRP but no sticker on the windshield. 90%of the new cars registered with "TS XX" are not getting the 3rd sticker on windshield.

Thanks a lot Anurag. This relieved me a bit but also is a cause of serious concern. Aren't the rules supposed to be the same all over India? I will complain nevertheless and get it done. Who knows what kind of issues I may face in future without the sticker.
Old 9th June 2015, 11:15   #627
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks a lot Anurag. This relieved me a bit but also is a cause of serious concern. Aren't the rules supposed to be the same all over India? I will complain nevertheless and get it done. Who knows what kind of issues I may face in future without the sticker.
Do you think the cops in the city know the rules and talk sense when stopped?!

Not even 10% would know that HSRP should be issued with a wind shield sticker too. All they know are the two plates, that's it.

The two plates are seen on the car hence it is OK and gives them no reason to stop the car and enquire.
Old 9th June 2015, 19:18   #628
BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Quote:
Do you think the cops in the city know the rules and talk sense when stopped?! Not even 10% would know that HSRP should be issued with a wind shield sticker too. All they know are the two plates, that's it.The two plates are seen on the car hence it is OK and gives them no reason to stop the car and enquire.
Anurag, agreed to that partially - they probably never care. Moreover, the situation currently is that more than 80% cars have normal plates. So having HSRP is in itself a great requirement met.

However, please understand that when your car moves out of the state, it is definitely looked at closely, if not by traffic cops, by the police on patrol like for example in Chennai where they are seen 24x7. Infact, it is the police who will be more interested in the 3rd plate especially for newer cars since it can be a theft vehicle. But again, if you have a little older looking car, dont bother as of now. Mine is one month old Tata Zest which I plan to keep forever.

Coming to the important update, I went to Secunderabad RTO today and inquired about the 3rd registration plate to be placed on the windshield. Surprisingly, there were numerous stickers lying around and the owners had no clue that they have to put them on the windshield. The plate fixing guys are surely illiterate and are only interested in tips. I insisted on my sticker and it was eventually found and promptly attached by the personnel there. Have received one sticker on the front windshield. They said rear windshield stickers are not issued. (They didnt know this information and went inside and asked someone). Is this correct ?

Finally, was happy to complete the HSRP procedure completely. Still wondering why the consumer has to remind RTO guys about their daily duties.
Old 9th June 2015, 20:40   #629
BANNED

Quote:
I insisted on my sticker and it was eventually found and promptly attached by the personnel there. Have received one sticker on the front windshield. They said rear windshield stickers are not issued. (They didnt know this information and went inside and asked someone). Is this correct ?
Yes. Only 3 in total for HSRP.

1) Front number plate;
2) Rear number plate and
3) Sticker on the front windshield.

That's all. Rear windshield gets nothing.

We have got a Alto K10 VXI AMT 8 days back. Will be registering mine so shall take care of it.
Old 11th June 2015, 23:57   #630
BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Quote:
Finally, was happy to complete the HSRP procedure completely. Still wondering why the consumer has to remind RTO guys about their daily duties.
Well done Zesty!!! I guess you did the right thing by following up with the officials and getting your sticker put up on the windscreen. Like you said, there is high probability that after a couple of years, the RTO starts a drive to check if the HSRP is completely compliant and collect a fine if not. As Anurag said, there is nothing to be put on the rear windshield, as far as I know. So nothing to worry on that.

By the way, I would consider yourself lucky and Telangana RTO good enough to not discard those stickers and giving them to you without any trouble. Go to the state south to yours and you would probably have had to pay bribe to get the sticker
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks