Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 17:06   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Is it mandatory to stick that sticker on the front windshield that came along with the number plate? Are cops particular about that, any experience?

With all the office, apartment, fast tag, dash cam, customer care stickers..etc already over there, a little reluctant to put one more out there?
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:48   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is it mandatory to stick that sticker on the front windshield that came along with the number plate? Are cops particular about that, any experience?
From what I hear, it is not being "enforced" yet but yes, by law it is supposed to be stuck on to the inside of the windshield. Quite inconvenient, if you ask me, as it is quite big in size!
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 19:50   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

With all the office, apartment, fast tag, dash cam, customer care stickers..etc already over there, a little reluctant to put one more out there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
From what I hear, it is not being "enforced" yet but yes, by law it is supposed to be stuck on to the inside of the windshield. Quite inconvenient, if you ask me, as it is quite big in size!
What I did was stuck only the transparent part which has all the essential details. From far it is not visible but you can certainly see all details closeby. May not be the right way, but at least I have the sticker pasted without making windshield look dirty.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 09:14   #1039
BHPian

Dear All I have a peculiar problem. I applied for my Punto Petrols HSRP on bookmyhsrp, back in January and everything went smoothly till the day I reached the dealership for HSRP affixation. To my utter surprise, despite all details being correct in the booking slip, instead of UP14BQ which is my RTO, they sent plates with UP4BQ: with the digit 1 missing.

Since then, I have been regularly following up with the call center or the mail id given. Same standard response : "Saar, 72 hours" or "forward to concerned department Saar, this is the last time"

Nothing seems to be moving. Now I can book again, pay odd 600 rupees and get fresh plates, but I feel cheated and there is no guarantee they messed up at the back end too. I mean at the RTO/Vahaan end. Any clues/pointers folks? What a situation to be in! Any one has a connection in there please?
lapis_lazuli is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 22:41   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Dear All I have a peculiar problem. I applied for my Punto Petrols HSRP on bookmyhsrp, back in January and everything went smoothly till the day I reached the dealership for HSRP affixation. To my utter surprise, despite all details being correct in the booking slip, instead of UP14BQ which is my RTO, they sent plates with UP4BQ: with the digit 1 missing.

Since then, I have been regularly following up with the call center or the mail id given. Same standard response : "Saar, 72 hours" or "forward to concerned department Saar, this is the last time"

Nothing seems to be moving. Now I can book again, pay odd 600 rupees and get fresh plates, but I feel cheated and there is no guarantee they messed up at the back end too. I mean at the RTO/Vahaan end. Any clues/pointers folks? What a situation to be in! Any one has a connection in there please?
Sir in most of the urban areas, since many cars ply with plates from before the HSRP era, cops are being lenient as long as the number plate fonts are ligible and similar as the HSRP plates.

We lost our plates after wading in some water so got new metal ones made, the letters and numbers are embossed and printed both, they look exactly like the HSRP plates except they don't have any IND sticker or hologram.

I urge you to get simple plates like these and get done with the issue, it's really not worth the trouble. In the event that someone asks you about it, you can always show them the communication between you and the authorities about the HSRP SNAFU
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 01:37   #1041
BHPian

I am currently in Ghaziabad (UP14) and my car (registered in Meerut RTO - UP15) details are not present on m-parivahan website hence I am unable to online book hsrp for UP.

Can we get the number plate offline or through some other channels as UP police will start challan of INR 5500/- from today ?
Old 20th April 2021, 00:07   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Got my HSRP installed today. Used frame and rivets. The sticker came along too. Don't know how far true, I am told after installing number plate, dealer has to upload photo of rivetted number plate to RTO, only then RC card is sent for printing. This is a recent change as previously folks would install plate of their choice despite getting HSRP.
I can confirm this. Got my HSRP the day before yesterday (Saturday) and got it fixed at the Service center. Once fitted, they clicked pics of the front and rear HSRP on the vehicle, along with the windshield sticker, and sent/uploaded them to the RTO then and there. Today (Monday) afternoon my RC got uploaded to Digilocker (softcopy) and the hardcopy is probably in the post as I type this.

My only worry is they had to drill through the front and rear to install the HSRP. Now the front one is fine, since it was on the bumper, however, the rear one gave me a heartache since the rear number plate location of the Duster is on the rear boot door and not on the bumper. So they had to drill two holes ON the door direct to fix these tamper proof rivets. Now I'm worried about rust formation on the rear boot door as and when that drilled and exposed metal part behind the HSRP comes in contact with moisture/water during Monsoons/Car wash. I'm thinking of sealing the boundaries of the rear HSRP with a single sided clear tape to prevent water from getting in there. I mean why didn't they think this through? It's pretty worrisome and the service center can straightaway refuse to replace the rear door within warranty should it start to rust and I would have to bear the cost.
Old 20th April 2021, 00:49   #1043
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
I can confirm this. Got my HSRP the day before yesterday (Saturday) and got it fixed at the Service center. Once fitted, they clicked pics of the front and rear HSRP on the vehicle, along with the windshield sticker, and sent/uploaded them to the RTO then and there. Today (Monday) afternoon my RC got uploaded to Digilocker (softcopy) and the hardcopy is probably in the post as I type this.

My only worry is they had to drill through the front and rear to install the HSRP. Now the front one is fine, since it was on the bumper, however, the rear one gave me a heartache since the rear number plate location of the Duster is on the rear boot door and not on the bumper. So they had to drill two holes ON the door direct to fix these tamper proof rivets. Now I'm worried about rust formation on the rear boot door as and when that drilled and exposed metal part behind the HSRP comes in contact with moisture/water during Monsoons/Car wash. I'm thinking of sealing the boundaries of the rear HSRP with a single sided clear tape to prevent water from getting in there. I mean why didn't they think this through? It's pretty worrisome and the service center can straightaway refuse to replace the rear door within warranty should it start to rust and I would have to bear the cost.
Pics please. This is totally unacceptable. Why did they do it? There are holes provided on the door for the rivets.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 10:35   #1044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Pics please. This is totally unacceptable. Why did they do it? There are holes provided on the door for the rivets.
Given below is the pic, I checked the boot door, there were no holes provided, however there were 2 closely spaced circular depressions on the door (marked by the lines on the HSRP) which I thought were spaces meant for drilling. However, that would have meant drilling between the numbers on the HSRP.

Instead, they drilled on the left and right extremities of the HSRP (as shown by the ovals) and fixed the HSRP with the rivets. I did object to the drilling on the boot door, but they stated this is how they do it on all the Dusters. I had to give in. My cousin who has a Swift fixed the HSRP on a frame which required no drilling, which I came to know later. However, the whole premise of having the HSRP is to make them tamper proof by fixing them on to the vehicle with the help of rivets, which is also the law (as far as I know).
Attached Thumbnails
High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-img_20210420_101616.jpg  

Old 20th April 2021, 11:56   #1045
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
Instead, they drilled on the left and right extremities of the HSRP (as shown by the ovals) and fixed the HSRP with the rivets. I did object to the drilling on the boot door, but they stated this is how they do it on all the Dusters. I had to give in. My cousin who has a Swift fixed the HSRP on a frame which required no drilling, which I came to know later. However, the whole premise of having the HSRP is to make them tamper proof by fixing them on to the vehicle with the help of rivets, which is also the law (as far as I know).
That's true. I have the rivets in top row above the numbers. Don't know if they used the original holes or drilled new ones. They are spaced far apart so they definitely do not coincide with the closely spaced ones you mention. There hasn't been any rust yet.

The best thing to do now is to remove the rivets. Clean the surface where it is drilled. Use some spray paint can to cover the holes with a dab of paint from the inside and outside. And re-install with new rivets.
Old 25th May 2021, 12:10   #1046
BHPian

Request BHPians in Maharashtra to advise: Are HSRP being issued to older cars yet?

I had recently done a trip down to Delhi, and while I was lucky enough to get away without being fined, it was a source of anxiety in the NCR.

One Constable of the Gurgaon Police did stop me when I was crossing into Delhi (where the old Toll used to be near Ambience Mall). An absolute waste of 20 minutes ensued, but he was disappointed in the end since I had the entire travel history of two days ago on PayTM thanks to FastTag, and of course all documents were on Digilocker, so he couldn't hold on to anything for ransom.

However, the experience is something I'd like to prevent happening again, so wondering if there's a process by which I'd be able to get HSRPs for my 2016 Toyota Etios Liva at Navi Mumbai.
Old 25th May 2021, 12:30   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvtanwar View Post
Request BHPians in Maharashtra to advise: Are HSRP being issued to older cars yet?

I had recently done a trip down to Delhi, and while I was lucky enough to get away without being fined, it was a source of anxiety in the NCR.

One Constable of the Gurgaon Police did stop me when I was crossing into Delhi (where the old Toll used to be near Ambience Mall).
I have the same question for KA, for my 2012 Fiat Linea.
You were lucky, i had to "buy" advise worth INR500, which was to sell the car as it was anyways near the 10 year mark and HSRP checks would only increase too. :(
sammyboy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2021, 13:37   #1048
BANNED

Quote:

However, the experience is something I'd like to prevent happening again, so wondering if there's a process by which I'd be able to get HSRPs for my 2016 Toyota Etios Liva at Navi Mumbai.
As I understood it HSRP is the law only in Delhi and few other locations. So if your car has an out-station registration your car is exempt until it becomes the law in your own state where you registered the car
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 13:41   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
As I understood it HSRP is the law only in Delhi and few other locations. So if your car has an out-station registration your car is exempt until it becomes the law in your own state where you registered the car
Your assessment is bang on logically, but my attempt at explaining it to a Gurgaon Police Constable who had his greasy palms itching on defying that very logic was what prompted my question in the first place. My argument with him ended with him saying that he'll fine me and file a case, which I told him to go ahead and do. That was the end of it, thankfully. But the interaction itself just ruins your day, if not just the mood of the hour.

Makes me wonder, if new cars can be fitted with the HSRP, why can't an old car owner in Maharashtra pay the fee to the RTO and get one for his?
Old 30th May 2021, 10:51   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Your assessment is bang on logically, but my attempt at explaining it to a Gurgaon Police Constable who had his greasy palms itching on defying that very logic was what prompted my question in the first place. My argument with him ended with him saying that he'll fine me and file a case, which I told him to go ahead and do. That was the end of it, thankfully. But the interaction itself just ruins your day, if not just the mood of the hour.
His greasy palms needs money, that is the only logic he will understand, spoils the mood. I made peace with this police behaviour and it is part of overall vehicle expenses.
Quote:
Makes me wonder, if new cars can be fitted with the HSRP, why can't an old car owner in Maharashtra pay the fee to the RTO and get one for his?
You can contact your car dealer, they will guide you for HSRP. At this point of time, general public do not have access for getting HSRP for some states.

I helped my friend getting HSRP for his 2013 KA registered Honda City from Magnum Honda(Bangalore), charges were Rs.700 last year. The HSRP plates were fixed on his car at showroom within 3 days.
jeygani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks