Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 14:38   #181
BANNED

So, What's the difference b/w High Security Registration Plates & Anti Theft Smart Number Plates ?

High Security Registration Plates are having all the features of Anti Theft Smart Number Plates, am I right ?
Old 6th July 2009, 15:44   #182
ada
BHPian

@mithun -- yes you are right HSRP has all the anti theft feature plus a bit more, like it must be approved/affixed by RTO, it might have an additional engine no and chassis no sticker to be affiixed on the windscreen, it might als have an additional bar code on the number plate itself. I'am saying might because this is exactly what has to be finalized by the gov of India, and this is what the supreme court is nudging the goverment to do.
Old 6th July 2009, 16:22   #183
BANNED

If you do not have a HSNP you may be forced to replace it when they finally decide to implement it.
Old 20th July 2009, 08:29   #184
BHPian

New number plates for vehicles

This below article appears in the Times of India News Paper, Page 3
Bangalore: Stylized fonts on number plates, unrecognisable numbers and those wrongly placed in an undiscernible corner of the vehicle — all these will soon be replaced by high security registration plates (HSRP).
Slamming vehicle owners who distort the way registration plates are displayed, transport commissioner Bhaskar Rao told The Times of India that the use of high-security registration plates would be made mandatory soon, with the process of converting the number plates set to begin shortly.
As per Rule 50 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 and Central Motor Vehicles (new high-security registration plates) Order 2001, the plates should provide for a solid aluminium plate and must have a reflective sheet. The plate should bear the letters ‘IND’ in blue, and have a chromium-based hologram. The registration plates are also supposed to carry the engine number and chassis number of the vehicle.
All this, Rao said, was to help curb the menace of vehicle theft and using vehicles in murders, dacoities and other crimes.
The order specifies the size of the registration plate for different categories of vehicles, in accordance with clause (vi) to sub-rule (I) of Rule 50 of the rules. In case of motorcycles, the size of the plate is to be 285x45 mm. The background colour is to be black on yellow for transport vehicles and black on white background in other cases.
As per rules, registration plates need to be affixed to the vehicle only in the RTO premises of the area concerned, and will substitute the system of painting the numbers on an ordinary plate.
While the Central Road Research Institute, New Delhi, or any other agencies authorised by the central government has to issue type approval certificate to every licence plate manufacturer, a Mumbai-based company has already been identified through tenders for supply of the HSRP plates.

2 Wheelers: 550/-
3 Wheelers: 650/-
Cars and Other Vehicles: 1200/-
Old 20th July 2009, 09:33   #185
Senior - BHPian

One thing I dont get is how the cops vision is magnified to read smaller plates on the Bikes while the same plate on a car is deemed visible.

I get the logic, bigger vehicle, bigger plate, easier to spot but its ridiculous.
Old 20th July 2009, 09:39   #186
Team-BHP Support

Arent the prices kinda hiked up, considering one can get the HSRPs for about Rs. 850/- ? I was thinking of going in for these plates, but decided to wait for the time being. God alone knows, if they will come up with some new rule or the other.
Old 20th July 2009, 09:52   #187
BHPian

I am not sure about one thing here - if this is the rule as stated in the article "Rule 50 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 and Central Motor Vehicles (new high-security registration plates) Order 2001", then why isn't RTO implementing the same for all the new cars that are coming out of showrooms.

This is a very simple issue. Make this a mandatory rule and penalize offenders. Simple.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:33   #188
Senior - BHPian

There was talk of this becoming mandatory way back in 2002 when I was living at Bangalore. A price of about Rs 5000 for cars and Rs 2000 for two wheelers was bandied about. Then it died a natural death.

I don't think this will see the light of day anytime soon.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:42   #189
BHPian

When i got it done for my baleno a few months back(bcos my old one broke) it costed 1000. but maybe i paid 100 or 150 more.
but if we are buying a new vehicle does it make sense to ask them to put that HSRP number plate ??? bcos instead of they giving me idol, perfume etc i can get this done.

thanks.
Old 20th July 2009, 12:15   #190
Senior - BHPian

In my view these number plates must be made as a defalut in the vehicle itself
why it has to be from a seperate agency. the vehicle manufacturer/dealer must provide it when the vehicle is sold. It has to be similar like a electrical appliance should be shock proof when it is sold. the identification of the vehicle and the number plate security should be taken care by the vehicle manufacturer
Old 20th July 2009, 12:35   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Arent the prices kinda hiked up, considering one can get the HSRPs for about Rs. 850/- ? I was thinking of going in for these plates, but decided to wait for the time being. God alone knows, if they will come up with some new rule or the other.
I heard those are fakes. The originals come for Rs.1100/-
Old 20th July 2009, 12:41   #192
BHPian

Also read the new rule says the engine number and chassis number too should be displayed! I got mine done for 800. But obviously no engine and chassis number.
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:28   #193
BANNED

Its too confused now after reading all the pages. I would like to ask where i can get/make/buy the genuine HSRP's for my vehicle in Bangalore
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:58   #194
BANNED

Update: Guys i have contacted RTO Bangalore and came to know that this feature not yet implemented in Karnataka ( I hope in India too). or nobody can sell the number plates by branding them as HSRP. Tenders were called for manufacturing this HSRP's.

At present what you get is not a full featured HSRP's(although its not HSRP) or you can say a normal Number Plates.

In the real HSRP's a "Unique serial no. etched with laser" will be seen in the plates and also a "Self Destructive Sticker with engine no, chasis number, and hologram" for pasting it on your vehicles windshield.

IMHO its a waste of money if you are buying one now

Last edited by wildon : 22nd July 2009 at 17:05.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:59   #195
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
— all these will soon be replaced by high security registration plates (HSRP).
There was talk of this coming into play in early 2005 when I bought the Santro. Even last year when I got my Alto, I made a specific mention to the dealer to get my the HSNP, but he said that its not yet being issued by the RTO. I would love to upgrade my urrent number plates to these.

I hope this is implemented soon as it will benefit vehicle owners.

@ Wildon: Which RTO did you check with to see if these plates are available?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks