Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 01:38   #586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nariman View Post
Hi all. I got a Fortuner last month & was keen on a HSRP. But on inquiring in Bombay from at least 4-5 license plate makers & also some automotive shops in the Opera house area- they all said that the RTO has banned them from making it . They were not even making it with the IND sign. I got the usual one made ,but am wondering if I take the car to other states will it give the local cops/RTO a reason to harass for not having the IND /HSRP? Thanks.

The IND plates which you get here locally in Mumbai, are actually Fake HSRP. AFAIK, HSRP are not yet introduced in Maharashtra, but will be introduced soon. Hence, the ban on fake HSRP/ IND plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Rohitj92 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 20:33   #587
Senior - BHPian

re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

Don't you guys think HSRP sticker on windshield is a threat to car owner's security / privacy?

I am saying so because engine number and chasis number is printed on the windshield sticker and anyone who knows chasis number and registration number, can easily know your name and complete address by vahan website (Govt. of India) like:

http://vahan.dl.nic.in/SRReports/

https://vahan.uk.gov.in/SRReports/va...jsp/Search.jsp

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-skoda-superb-hsrp-sticker-1.jpg

Picture source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2785006
mukeshgoel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2014, 10:20   #588
BHPian

I booked an Alto K10 (the outgoing model) a few days ago and requested the dealer for HSRP, for which I was quoted Rs.700. I agreed. Later, when signing the RTO papers for the registration process, I asked the dealer if the HSRP that will be fitted will be the one mandated by law, i.e., with the laser engraving et al. The dealer said it was not so and that the so called "IND plates" are only for the "looks" and that the HSRP rule has not been implemented in Tamilnadu yet.

A simple Google search did not throw up any information on the implementation in Tamilnadu, save for a press release way back in January 2012 mentioning the use of HSRP mandatory from April 2012. There is not much information on the state RTO website either (Link).

Can anyone please throw some more light on this?
Old 4th November 2014, 16:01   #589
BHPian

Hi,

The whole secure number plate project is in limbo(much like the Aadhar project). There are many reasons for it and reasons vary from state to state. For example, http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/a...ake-entry-soon , explains reasons for delay in Bangalore / Karnataka.
As a precaution, please do not go for any IND plate via a dealer since these are not going to be genuine and you will anyways have to shell out bucks again for the "real" deal. Like in case of sunfilms, as and when these plates will be available I am sure, all of us will become aware of it.
HarshVShrotriya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 10:22   #590
BHPian

If the IND plates issued by dealers are not the real thing, is it justified in them charging Rs. 700-800 for something which is just eye candy (while the original ones issued by the RTOs themselves cost only half as much)? Adding to it, aren't the non genuine IND plates also potentially illegal? Is there any way this issue can be taken up with the authorities?
Old 11th November 2014, 07:56   #591
BHPian

Yes Srinath. Valid points. The so called IND plates are in deed illegal and forget obeying rules you are violating rules by using such a number plate. you are better off by getting a plain vanilla old number plate.
The dealers are cashing in on half true story around new number plates.
The sad part is many owners do not even know that the real IND plates will have screws which are totally different from your normal screws(to ensure people cannot replace number plates on the go).
I have seen people paying 800 bucks for Ashoka Chakra sticker on their number plate thinking that's the new IND plate.
Unfortunately you will not get success in front of the authorities against such swindlers. Reason being that they only tell you orally that it will be an IND plate legally required. They never give it to you in writing that it's the legal one following all the legal norms.
If you query them, they shrug off saying it's just a fancy number plate.
So, onus is on us to check and verify if the number plate is in deed the right one.
HarshVShrotriya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 20:58   #592

What is the latest on this High Security Number Plates ?. Is this mandatory in all the states now ?. Will the old ordinary number plates get us into trouble on an interstate trip ?
Old 26th November 2014, 00:01   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rintu View Post
What is the latest on this High Security Number Plates ?. Is this mandatory in all the states now ?. Will the old ordinary number plates get us into trouble on an interstate trip ?

This still varies from state to state i guess. I dont think the older number plates will get us into trouble as of now. But the fake HSRP (IND) number plates are banned in Mumbai. No idea about other states.
Old 26th November 2014, 00:52   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
I booked an Alto K10 (the outgoing model) a few days ago and requested the dealer for HSRP, for which I was quoted Rs.700. I agreed. Later, when signing the RTO papers for the registration process, I asked the dealer if the HSRP that will be fitted will be the one mandated by law, i.e., with the laser engraving et al. The dealer said it was not so and that the so called "IND plates" are only for the "looks" and that the HSRP rule has not been implemented in Tamilnadu yet.

A simple Google search did not throw up any information on the implementation in Tamilnadu, save for a press release way back in January 2012 mentioning the use of HSRP mandatory from April 2012. There is not much information on the state RTO website either (Link).

Can anyone please throw some more light on this?
This is indeed true I had called up signs India to get IND plates since they were mentioned as the official makers of the plates in Chennai. But then the guy told me that they had been instructed to stop issuing the "legal" plates in Chennai. So just get the plain old number plate.
EDIT: The lookalike plates are not potentially illegal they are illegal!!Period!!!

Last edited by Shanksta : 26th November 2014 at 00:54.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 15:33   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rintu View Post
It is SUPPOSED to be MANDATORY. But most of the states in India have not implemented this rule very seriously. The governement in the United Andhra Pradesh have issued notification for tendors for implementation of HSNP and the same had been allotted to A.P.S.R.T.C. But after the bifurcation, no word about it.
Old 26th November 2014, 16:18   #596
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
But after the bifurcation, no word about it.
I see many TS registered cars with HSNP.

I suspect they are fake ones because the OEM plates (Issued by Govt) come in three parts:

1) Front number plate
2) Rear number plate
3) A sticker on the windshield that gives details of the car (like owner name, engine number etc).

The cars I see get only the plates in the same way (style of stamping of numbers, font style) described in HSNP rules. The screw that holds these plates are destroyed if tried to fiddle, but the cars i have seen these plate get the regular screws.

Confused as to what is going on. No clear information on this aspect even now.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 26th November 2014 at 16:20.
Old 26th November 2014, 17:17   #597
Senior - BHPian

Since HSRP plates are not introduced, the ones made to look like them cannot be called fake (since the real thing does not exist legally - in most states)

They look good and most people know the difference and yet go for those.
Old 26th November 2014, 17:55   #598
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Since HSRP plates are not introduced, the ones made to look like them cannot be called fake (since the real thing does not exist legally - in most states)

They look good and most people know the difference and yet go for those.
IIRC, Cars sold in GJ and MH get the correct ones.

Anurag.
Old 26th November 2014, 19:13   #599
BHPian

Cars sold in MH do not get the correct ones. Not yet implemented here.
Cars sold in Rajasthan get HSRP plates from the RTO. They charge close to 500 bucks for a pair and the owner has to get those plates installed at the RTO itself.
Old 26th November 2014, 19:29   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Cars sold in MH do not get the correct ones. Not yet implemented here.
Cars sold in Rajasthan get HSRP plates from the RTO. They charge close to 500 bucks for a pair and the owner has to get those plates installed at the RTO itself.
500 buck is a reasonable price. In Hyderabad, the RTO officials have quoted nearly 800 rs for a pair of number plates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks