Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2017, 15:00   #661
srh
BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

In Bangalore, I was stopped by a traffic policeman today (for no reason) when I was on my 13 year old Activa. He searched for any existing offences/ fines online on his hand held device and couldn't find anything. After the ordeal, he casually remarked that I should get the number plate changed to 'IND' number plate. Although I am aware of HSRP, I feigned ignorance. Can anyone tell me if there is any recent diktat to install HSRPs in Karnataka?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:39. Reason: typo
Old 9th January 2018, 21:29   #662
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Can someone suggest a place in HSR area where I can get regulation compliant IND plates done?
Old 9th January 2018, 21:57   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Can someone suggest a place in HSR area where I can get regulation compliant IND plates done?
Karnataka doesnt have HSRP yet. Get the number plates from any local shop - just tell him you dont want the blue bar on the side.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 22:47   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You may want to check out this thread. Lots if positive feedback about them.

Link
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 12:04   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
In Bangalore, I was stopped by a traffic policeman today (for no reason) when I was on my 13 year old Activa. He searched for any existing offences/ fines online on his hand held device and couldn't find anything. After the ordeal, he casually remarked that I should get the number plate changed to 'IND' number plate. Although I am aware of HSRP, I feigned ignorance. Can anyone tell me if there is any recent diktat to install HSRPs in Karnataka?
I was asked by the Cops to get a metal number plate. I don't think IND plates are legal.

Refer: https://twitter.com/AcpSe/status/951084815322824704

Is there another problem other than the Hologram/IND that I am missing here?

Gujarat seems to have implemented HSRP:

http://ahmedabadmirror.indiatimes.co...w/62339995.cms

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2018 at 09:39. Reason: typo
Old 24th January 2018, 09:20   #666
Senior - BHPian

In Gujarat, the last date to install HSRP is 15th Feb 2018. Everyone is trying to book an online appointment for it. Due to heavy rush on the website, www.hsrpgujarat.com is temporarily not available. However, I was able to book an appointment for my 2011 RE 350.

High security registration plates (HSRP) in India-appo.jpg

Quote:
The state government has extended the time limit for installing the high security registration plates (HSRP) on the vehicles by one month. Now, the vehicle owners will have to install the HSRP on or before February 15, 2018.
The decision was taken by a high-level committee after reports of difficulties faced by drivers besides bid to take undue advantage by some unscrupulous elements. The transport commissioner said that a state-wide network, consisting of RTOs and dealers, has been set up to install the HSRP.
The state government has fixed the rates of the installing new HSRP which are Rs 89 for two & three-wheelers and Rs 150 for four-wheelers. Those who will not fix the new HSRPs will face legal action.
Source : https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/62372215.cms

Last edited by SJM1214 : 24th January 2018 at 09:45. Reason: Minor Change
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2018, 12:32   #667
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any idea on how much is the installation charges for hsrp in Hyderabad? Can we affix them ourselves or some expertise is required.
Old 21st February 2018, 12:38   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Any idea on how much is the installation charges for hsrp in Hyderabad? Can we affix them ourselves or some expertise is required.
You will need to apply for it at the RTO. For new cars, the cost is included in the fees we pay at the RTO. You will then get an SMS about when to come. I don't know the process to get this for an old car. Must be the same though...
Old 21st February 2018, 12:46   #669
BHPian

At the RTO at Salt Lake, Kolkata (I know since it is the RTO that both my cars are registered), in case any vehicle reports for change of ownership or renewal of life time road tax, it is mandatory to affix the HSRP from there at a cost of Rs 500.

Recently I renewed life time tax of my 2003 model Zen. Only after installing the HSRP was the smart card issued.

When I purchased my Dzire in 2016, I had to first get the HSRPs installed and only then was the smart card issued.

I am unaware of the procedure followed by other RTOs in Kolkata or for that matter West Bengal. Others please enlighten us.
Old 21st February 2018, 13:53   #670
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
You will need to apply for it at the RTO. For new cars, the cost is included in the fees we pay at the RTO. You will then get an SMS about when to come. I don't know the process to get this for an old car. Must be the same though...
My question is more on installing the hsrp once we get it from rta (after already paying for hsrp fee). Or is installation free?
Old 21st February 2018, 14:13   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
My question is more on installing the hsrp once we get it from rta (after already paying for hsrp fee). Or is installation free?
Ah! You won't get it from the RTA. They will install.

The guy who fixes it will ask a 'tip'. No other fees.
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 11:59   #672
BHPian

Was fined INR 500 yesterday at Cyber City for not having HSRP. They are there almost everyday now. Will have to go to Sheikh Sarai RTO Delhi, since my registration is from there.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 9th March 2018 at 12:02.
Old 9th March 2018, 15:24   #673
BANNED

I personally feel that the days of HSRPs are more or less passe. The fad has faded away, and almost any decent plate goes. We are no longer as paranoid as we once were.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 16:44   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Was fined INR 500 yesterday at Cyber City for not having HSRP.
What in the event the HSRP is damaged/broken or stolen? HYD RTO does not re-issue HSRP number plates. Have been using a simple one since the front plate was torn off the scoot by kids, a year ago.
gendarmee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 14:58   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
What in the event the HSRP is damaged/broken or stolen? HYD RTO does not re-issue HSRP number plates. Have been using a simple one since the front plate was torn off the scoot by kids, a year ago.
I have no answer to that question. The guys who caught me, just gave me ambiguous answers like: check on GOGLE (meant Google), it is mandatory, old rule, and all the stupidity they come laden with. As usual, first extorted my DL, then told me plate is not correct, and slapped a fine. State of affairs is really sad. Really sad.

Most Viewed