Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 14:23   #1006
BHPian

Re: High security registration plates (HSRP) in India

I have this HSRP installed on my car by the car dealer earlier last week (at Kochi). To be honest, I don't really understand what the lawmakers were thinking by forcibly imposing this so-called HSRP to consumers.

From my point of view, this is a substandard looking number plate. At least for me, the letters did not felt properly aligned and I am sure those numbers will be faded off very soon. It definitely is the lowest quality number plates that I ever had.

What if the numbers faded or stickers peeled off? What next then?

The riveting process itself was horrible and I am wondering why the car manufacturers did not even provide with a proper rivet or screw holes these days.

When a properly written (legal size) number plate without any fancy can do the job wonderfully, what was the need of this non-sense HSRP?

Just another pointless exercise or am I missing anything here?
igemini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 13:19   #1007
sbm
BHPian

Hello. Does anyone know if online application for HSRP has started in Jharkhand yet? The Maruti dealer in my city is charging Rs.1000 for 2 plates . I believe the price is too high.
Old 27th January 2021, 13:26   #1008
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
When a properly written (legal size) number plate without any fancy can do the job wonderfully, what was the need of this non-sense HSRP?

Just another pointless exercise or am I missing anything here?
To help implement an automated e-challan and vehicle tracking through cameras and image recognition system.

Many other uses once the license plate format is standardized.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 13:41   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
To help implement an automated e-challan and vehicle tracking through cameras and image recognition system.

Many other uses once the license plate format is standardized.
But what if this is faded off very soon? Also, why this needs to be riveted on unlike screwing? If the government think the riveted plates cannot be tampered or removed then I don't know what to tell.

The plate I received was razor-thin and one of the letters already kind of peeled off. Upon asking the dealer, they were claiming "This is what it is, we cannot do anything as it is the only thing approved by RTO"

Is it possible to replace in the later stage without going through the RTO and the car dealer involved?

I'm clueless
Old 31st January 2021, 00:33   #1010
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Any clue about HSRP for Maharashtra registered vehicles?

My Ecosport is registered in Pimpri Chinchwad (MH14) but currently in my hometown in UP. There are no plans to take it back to Pune in near future.
Since UP has already issued the guidelines for HSRP for older vehicles and Delhi has made it mandatory, I am wondering if there is a way I can get HSRP for my Ecosport without visiting Maharashtra?

Thanks.
UP!!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 10:40   #1011
BHPian

Hello folks,

I have the HSRP plates already and have applied for the sticker yesterday. There is a timeline of seven days for the same to be available.

Can I drive in this tenure and show the payment receipt in the event of being paused by the traffic police ?
Old 1st February 2021, 10:53   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Hello folks,

I have the HSRP plates already and have applied for the sticker yesterday. There is a timeline of seven days for the same to be available.

Can I drive in this tenure and show the payment receipt in the event of being paused by the traffic police ?
YES

If stopped you need to show the receipt to the police.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 14:07   #1013
BHPian

I live in Bangalore and have a 3 year old KA-registered diesel car. I'm relocating to Noida later this month. The tentative plan is to return to Karnataka after 5-6 years.

Question:
1) Do I necessarily have to do the NOC (from KA) and payment of road-tax and transfer-of-regn (to UP I guess) rigmarole?

2) If I have to get NOC from KA, does that process require the vehicle to be seen by the KA RTO? (meaning I'd need to get it *before* I ship the car to Noida). Does getting an NOC cost a lot? I was wondering if perhaps it makes sense to get the NOC while I'm still here in KA, and then simply keep it but not use it (for xfer in UP) unless I have to. Or does getting a NOC automatically kick off a process in the RTO systems of initiating a transfer?

3) Can I pay just the road tax in UP but avoid having to change the regn to a UP regn? Is that sufficient to avoid harassment from the cops?

4) Lastly, how is all this impacted with the HSRP initiative in Noida?
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 14:31   #1014
Team-BHP Support

My aunt wanted stickers for her car, which already had HSRPs. I booked online on bookmyhsrp on her behalf on 24th Jan. Got an appointment for 1st Feb, first half. The stickers were delivered promptly today morning and the guy took 2 mins in all to stick and leave. No bakshis demanded.

All in all, pretty seamless and convenient.
Old 4th February 2021, 10:38   #1015

HELP! Error message - Vehicle type details didn't match on bookmyhsrp site.

I'm trying to book a high security registration plate from bookmyhsrp.com site and it keeps returning an error message "Vehicle Type Details didn't match" and I'm unable to proceed further into the process.

Has anyone else encountered this error? What am I doing wrong?

I've got a BMW 530d and I'm selecting "non-transport" and "LMV" under Vehicle type and Vehicle category fields.
Old 8th February 2021, 06:48   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I live in Bangalore and have a 3 year old KA-registered diesel car. I'm relocating to Noida later this month. The tentative plan is to return to Karnataka after 5-6 years.

Question:
1) Do I necessarily have to do the NOC (from KA) and payment of road-tax and transfer-of-regn (to UP I guess) rigmarole?

2) If I have to get NOC from KA, does that process require the vehicle to be seen by the KA RTO? (meaning I'd need to get it *before* I ship the car to Noida). Does getting an NOC cost a lot? I was wondering if perhaps it makes sense to get the NOC while I'm still here in KA, and then simply keep it but not use it (for xfer in UP) unless I have to. Or does getting a NOC automatically kick off a process in the RTO systems of initiating a transfer?

3) Can I pay just the road tax in UP but avoid having to change the regn to a UP regn? Is that sufficient to avoid harassment from the cops?

4) Lastly, how is all this impacted with the HSRP initiative in Noida?
IIRC, there is a procedure to retain your old number after registering your car in UP which was implemented in 2016-17. Earlier there was no way about it, otherwise I would have retained the Andaman number on my Santro.

HSRP installation on both my cars was a fuss free process but the fitment centre I got for my Nissan Terrano was in Delhi and the dealership was a Kia dealership and the plates were kept with them. This was around October.
Akash_1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 06:57   #1017
BHPian

I have 2 UP registered vehicles, 2006 Santro CNG and 2014 Nissan Terrano diesel. Both were fitted with HSRPs and colour coded stickers in October 1st week. I also have a 2005 model ex army Gypsy, 2016 registered in Patiala, Punjab. Is there any way to get the HSRP installed for a PB registered vehicle in Delhi NCR? It will not be an easy task to take the car to Patiala just for the number plates and stickers, given that there is strict checking on all the borders due to farmers protest.
Old 8th February 2021, 10:08   #1018
MSC
BHPian

Regarding the HSRP, the Himachal Pradesh seems to be working quite good. If not all, atleast 85% of the cars are already having the HSRP and those who don't, are being slowly being moved to HSRP plates. There is no problem for new cars and the dealers are getting the number plates as well as color coded windscreen stickers as well. Older vehicles are being asked to shift to HSRP at time of renewal of registration.
My one year old car had the HSRP and not the sticker. Appplied online on bookmyhsrp as Himachal Pradesh is one among the three states whose bookings accepted on that site. Everything was super days and super easy. Within 10 days got call from Hyundai dealer that sticker has arrived and I can get whenever I get time. They just confirmed the laser code at time of sticking and it was just a half minute job. Only thing I doubt is that will the gum be able to withstand the heat when summers arrive.
My previous car has a white sticker and it was not even able to retain the sticking for even one week.
Old 8th February 2021, 10:23   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Is HSRP mandatory in Karnataka? My dealer told, HSRP plates will be made available and I can fix it myself. I am thinking of putting this inside a frame. is this ok, or should I go for sticker or rivet?
Old 8th February 2021, 11:26   #1020
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Is HSRP mandatory in Karnataka?
For newly registered vehicles it is mandatory. For existing vehicles, it will soon be made mandatory.

Quote:
My dealer told, HSRP plates will be made available and I can fix it myself.
This is something I also would like to know because few states that have this mandatory for all the vehicles including old ones are now using this as a weapon to target cars in transit in these states. Most likely, once the Transport Department of Karnataka rolls out a mandate for HSRP for all class of vehicles (including existing ones) we should get complete clarity

Quote:
I am thinking of putting this inside a frame. is this ok, or should I go for sticker or rivet?
I have seen newer vehicles with HSRPs without rivets and mounted inside frames. Although the very meaning of rivet to an extent is anti-theft, what I have seen around makes me think that many aren't following this. Legally, it should always be rivet and not any other method.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed