Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2020, 12:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Focus, Focus ST coming to India

Ford Focus, Focus ST coming to India alongside Ranger.

Ford Focus, Focus ST coming to India-smartselect_20201211120207_chrome.jpg

Ford Focus, Focus ST coming to India-smartselect_20201211120156_chrome.jpg

Quote:
The fourth-gen model debuted internationally in 2018, and at 4,361mm long, with a lengthy 2,649mm wheelbase. Available with a 1.0-litre EcoBoost three-cylinder turbo-petrol (125PS), and a 2.0-litre direct-injected turbo-petrol (160PS)

The 2.3-litre EcoBoost in the hotted-up ST makes 280PS and 420Nm, and is available with a 6-speed manual, though a 7-speed automatic is also available.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 13:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Ford Focus, Focus ST coming to India alongside Ranger.

Attachment 2091532

Attachment 2091533

Source
What is the likely hood of this happening?? Esp. with Ford-Mahindra JV in place. If this is going to be a CBU, its going to get priced out of the park anyway.

But am going to try and save up for it - that is one hot hatch and like the Porsche cars, can totally double up as the everyday car!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 19:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Spotted!! Ford Focus RS 2010 in Mumbai.

Ford is rumoured to bring Ford Focus & Focus ST to India in 2021.

Quote:
Ford will be bringing the Ranger Raptor, Focus and Focus ST to India under the 2,500-unit homologation-free route, and hence, limited units of the three will be imported
However, this does not mean that companies can bring 2,500 units of each vehicle, but 2,500 units in total.

Quote:
The hatchback sits above the Fiesta in Ford’s international lineup, and is currently in it’s fourth-gen avatar. The hatch is plonked with a 1.0-litre EcoBoost three-cylinder turbo-petrol engine producing 125 PS, as well as a 2.0-litre direct-injected turbo-petrol unit that churns out 160 PS.
Quote:
The drool worthy car will be the 2.3-litre EcoBoost unit under the hood of the performance-oriented Focus ST. This engine makes 280 PS of max power, along with 420 Nm of peak torque, and can be had with either a 6-speed manual transmission, or an optional 7-speed automatic. 0 to 100 kmph comes in between 5.7 – 6.0 seconds, depending on the gearbox.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th December 2020 at 19:10.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 19:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Focus, Focus ST coming to India

Ford Focus, Focus ST coming to India - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 19:38   #5
BHPian

So finally everybody is trying to test the Indian waters. The 2.3ltr Ecoboost version can be a worthy competitor to the Octavia VRS and should be priced at around the same price band considering it costs around 32K Pounds! Come on Ford, surprise us with a mouth-watering price tag this time

Last edited by BlackPearl : 11th December 2020 at 21:29. Reason: Typo. Thanks.
Venku2015 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 20:27   #6
BHPian

Something which I shared on a different thread here.

Testing the waters is fine, but I hope they price them well. With the upcoming race tracks around the country, Focus RS and ST would be a sure bet. At least I can consider buying one.

And I hope they bring the Bronco as well.
neelkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 22:59   #7
BHPian

Regular Focus may not make sense as it being CBU plus >4 mtr length won't appeal in pricing with zero advantage over a sedan.
And Focus ST will fall on octavia VRS category, which is struggling to sell 250 nos even being a sedan.

They need to differentiate a 4.3 mtr hatch from a 4.3 mtr sedan with some advantage and that speciality can come only by giving a better engine, by giving a sporty outlook. But not via CBU route with unrealistic pricing.

Wish they surprise us with the focus 160 bhp auto version with 20 lacs on road.

Last edited by petrol_power : 11th December 2020 at 23:03.
petrol_power is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 23:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Regular Focus may not make sense as it being CBU plus >4 mtr length won't appeal in pricing with zero advantage over a sedan.
I think the Fiesta ST should come in place of the regular Focus. This, the Ranger Raptor and the Focus ST makes a lot more sense.
Ford Focus, Focus ST coming to India-images.jpeg
TaurusSHO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 00:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good move by Ford India. The Focus competes with the Corolla, Civic, Elantra, and Octavia. There's an error on the article: The 2.0 NA with direct injection produces 160 HP.

I hope the Indian version gets the 2.0 NA & 2.0 T.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 00:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I really hope Ford keeps this as a niche product. Dont see a lot of future for these. We love to talk about performance vehicles but don't put money where the mouth is, including me.

I probably won't like to own a petrol car which gives me 5 kmpl whatever the performance it gives, but would rather pick up a diesel version for a little less performance.
swiftnfurious is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 08:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

What a brilliant piece of news! And who doesn't love a Fast Ford. Amazing!

10/10 to Ford for trying! This proves that Ford India still got many who love cars and driving in their office. Focus ST is the real deal! I really love it to bits. Okay, not as much as the old Focus RS, but this is some serious machinery!

Sadly though, I am afraid many including me will be priced out of this equation.

As I mentioned in the thread for Potent hatchbacks, I would have preferred the hatch to be Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Ideally it should be a Focus or a Golf, but our insane tax structure wouldn't allow that. So, it can be the Fiesta or Polo or the City hatchback - the latest generations. The full size ones with 5 doors and not chopped to 4 meters though.
Anyways, let's wait to see which variant of the Focus will they bring along with the ST. And if this is how the future of the JV with Mahindra is looking like, I would say bring it on! I would much rather pay a premium for a Global Ford than take home a watered down version specifically built for our market.

I can't help but feel that we are going back in time, before the 90s. When there were low quality and cheap goods made in India for the local market and anything better had to be imported from outside. And this all changed with globalization and the opening of markets with the MNCs rushing in.

But with myopic regulations (stupid small car rules anyone?) and INSANE tax structures, sadly it looks like we have regressed backwards.
deetjohn is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 08:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
What a brilliant piece of news! And who doesn't love a Fast Ford. Amazing!
10/10 from me as well and also stand with you on the "priced out" category

Quote:
and at 4,361mm long is roughly the size of a VW Golf,
Wishful thinking obviously but I just drooled over the possibility of a Focus/Golf segment along with Polo/Fiesta after reading these lines in the article.

But is indeed a positive start, might open the routes for a hot hatch category(at varying price points hopefully) and in the not so distant future we might be looking at the hot hatch which has been discussed already.

Agree on the back in time but I think this time its slightly different and the changes will be much faster and for the better in the long run. They already have direct hands on with the market and if they can work out respectable numbers they can position Fords as a premium offering and Mahindra would use the same platform to make economical offerings (like Toyota-Lexus, Nissan-Infinity).

And definitely that small car rule has to go.

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2020 at 09:56. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 12th December 2020, 16:18   #13
BHPian

This is definitely a good news for us bhpians but as Swiftnfurious said, we only love to talk about hot hatches but when it comes to buying one, we simply go and buy a Civic or a Compass for the same money. Being a CBU, expecting Focus to cost around Compass territory is wishful thinking itself and if it comes down to buying either Focus or Fortuner, you know what the choice is going to be for 95% of Indians.

Instead what Ford could have done is bringing the Focus at 20L bracket in CKD route. That would have garnered more attention I'm sure. With ICE cars in their swansong years, that would've been the perfect car for the last hurray. Sadly don't think that's ever gonna happen.
Carpainter is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 18:04   #14
BHPian

Though this is a pleasing news for us Bhpians. But unfortunately not many are gonna spend around 20L+ for this large Hot hatch. Space in offer is sufficient and can be a good daily for someone who is specifically looking for a niche hot hatch. Just few years back they stopped manufacturing Focus in Thailand and Mk4 haven't even made it to Thailand as it was performing poorly in that Japanese dominated market and its poor fuel economy figures didn't help it either.
Old 12th December 2020, 18:26   #15
BHPian

I hope this comes true and I wish I am in a position to buy the Focus ST when it hits our shore. The sheer amount of praise this car has earned from so many legendary motoring personalities (Clarkson included), has made it the car I realistically dream (pardon the oxymoron) to own one day.

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 12th December 2020 at 18:28.
Romeo_Mike is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed