Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 16:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hindustan Motors suspends work at Uttarpara

Just when you thought that things couldnt get any worse for HM

Indiainfoline.com-Top stories,Leader speak,company news,sector news,Market talk,lifestyle,budget,market today,global indicators

Quote:
Hindustan Motors Ltd. said on Wednesday that it has suspended work at its Uttarpara factory in the Hooghly district of West Bengal due to disruptive activities being pursued by a select group of workers.
The law & order situation at Uttarpara continues to be disconcerting, Hindustan Motors said in a statement. A small group of workers are able to harass 2100 plus employees reporting for duty and prevent an additional 1000 plus willing employees from joining duty, it added.
Complete blockade of ingress and egress of material continues, Hindustan Motors said. As a result the management was constrained to declare suspension of work, the company said.
The company is hopeful that the competent authorities will intervene in restoring law and order in and around the plant, in accordance with the High Court's order, Hindustan Motors.
Workers affiliated to the Sangrami Shramik Yukta Manch have been holding demonstrations since March 13, seeking regularisation of salary and resumption of payment of Dearness Allowance which had remained frozen since 2001.
The agitating workers are also demanding that 242 'badli' workers be made permanent and suspension of several workers be withdrawn unconditionally
Hindustan Motors' Uttarpara plant in the Hooghly district of West Bengal is the country's oldest automobile factory. The company manufactures the Ambassador cars at this unit, which has been making losses due to dwindling sales.

Last edited by khanak : 11th April 2007 at 16:22.
Old 12th April 2007, 01:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have great respect for the ambassador car but unfortunately its time is over[atleast in its present form].Hindustan motors cannot expect better times ahead unless they have a radical transformation.Unless this happens HM would just end up as a supplier to tata,chevrolet.

Just wonder if mitsubishi should break the alliance and go for the indian market on its own or find some other partner.
Old 12th April 2007, 01:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear aout this but I guess it's a by product of being located in the home state of Indian Communists & their Trade Unions.

As for Mitsubishi if they break their partnership with HM well they will atleast be as well off as with the partnership in place. The only way they can do worse is tie up with a partner like PAL (ala Fiat!!)
Old 12th April 2007, 12:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

For ONCE, i am truly grateful to the miltants/naxals or whatever you call them who are supposedly behind the Uttarpara plant disruption, as i understand from media reports.Thanks to them i pray fervently that the ugly lump of steel with wheels that has blotted the face of Indian roads for many a decade will be finally put to rest!.RIP Ambassador!
Old 12th April 2007, 17:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
For ONCE, i am truly grateful to the miltants/naxals or whatever you call them who are supposedly behind the Uttarpara plant disruption, as i understand from media reports.Thanks to them i pray fervently that the ugly lump of steel with wheels that has blotted the face of Indian roads for many a decade will be finally put to rest!.RIP Ambassador!
Dont ask for too much..it seems the problem is between CPI and CPM unions with CPM now in its new pro-business avatar trying to stop the strike!

What can happen is the workers ask their union bosses to recommend WB govt. to take over the factory, turn out more of scrap steel and now demand that GOI force every car buyer to buy it by tax or otherwise..
Old 12th April 2007, 20:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

I dont think it will be missed except in Kerala and WB, only 2 places where people buy Ambassadors.
Old 12th April 2007, 21:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A CNBC coverage showed the last month's Ambassador production at Uttarapara was 292, against an expected 1600. I dont expect this strike to permanently seal the Amby's fate - after all there are the management at this plant who've habitualized taking home their salaries.
Old 12th April 2007, 22:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I dont think it will be missed except in Kerala and WB, only 2 places where people buy Ambassadors.

Hey check that, I wonder how many people in WB buy the Amby for personal use. I can see more Petra's than new (post 2000) Ambassadors being used personally.
Old 12th April 2007, 22:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

WB was a guess, only because its the land of Ambassador. Kerala from my personal observation. Either way it wont be missed.
Old 12th April 2007, 23:33   #10
BHPian

Asking for resumption of dearness allowance, which, I guess is equivalent to a pay hike.. when the unit "has been making losses due to dwindling sales" requires *****. Not ordinary ones, but made of steel, may be titanium.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th April 2007 at 07:18.
Old 24th May 2014, 13:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hindustan Motors suspends work at Uttarpara

Same situation again at Hind motors..

Hindustan Motors Ltd has informed BSE that the Company has declared suspension of work at its Uttarpara Plant with effect from 6.00 AM of May 24, 2014.

The Company has been transparent in sharing updates about the worsening conditions at its Uttarpara Plant which include very low productivity, growing indiscipline, critical shortage of funds, lack of demand for its core product the Ambassador and large accumulation of liabilities. Given the present circumstances it has no alternative but to declare a suspension of work at its Uttarpara Plant till further notice. The suspension of work will enable the Company in restricting mounting liabilities and restructure its organisation and finances and bring in a situation conducive to reopening of the plant.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/stocks/s...&autono=806439

Edit: Another Bengali news source states that there are 2300 permanent & 2000 temporary staff at the factory. None of them have been receiving salaries for the past 6 months.

http://abpananda.abplive.in/state/20...C#.U4BPbfmSx8E

Last edited by blackasta : 24th May 2014 at 13:43.

Most Viewed