Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2020, 14:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Retro / Classic trends in the car scene

This thread is actually inspired by a poll in our two wheelers section where the majority seem to be voting for "Retro classic" motorcycles.

While our two wheeler market today offers ample varieties, Retro classic or Neo retro theme seem to be catching in in two wheeler space. If i am not wrong, this seem to be a trend globally as well. Triumph, Royal Enfield etc. try to strike a chord with the market by bragging about the classic heritage.

However we do not see any such trend in 4 wheelers space. Year on year, we seem to be looking at more futuristic designs which keeps drifting away from the designs of yesteryears.

So is there a market for classic cars ? Does anyone here decides on a model just because of classic looks ?

Let me start off the thread with retro inspired offerings in our market today. While I do not intend to make this list exhaustive, the idea is to set the context and let our fellow experts pitch in with more information.

Main criteria here is modern cars with classic/retro inspired design elements.

NOTE: Reference Pics taken from team-bhp repository.

1. New Mahindra Thar
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-20200815_113219.jpg
This car seem to be ringing the cash registers for Mahindra and waiting periods have already shot up. While we have very limited choices in this segment, What also makes this stand apart is the classic looks.

2. Honda E
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-honda20e201.jpg
While this car can be as modern as it can get, it has that retro charm(reminds me of the Maruti 800). While i am skeptical of seeing this on our shores, this is something a retro classic fan would love to see. If the future is electric and also classic, sounds ideal isnt it !!

3. Mini
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-01-image-mini-john-cooper-works-gp-inspired-edition.jpeg
Those round(ish) head lights and the silhoutte has not changed much over many decades and this is what makes this car attractive to me. The car is retro inspired inside out.

4. Mercedes Benz G Class
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-1_80.jpg
It is big and butch and what also makes it stand out is the classic looks. However not a mass market offering at all

5. Jeep Wrangler
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-wrangler20rubicon_freedom_profile_ext.jpg
Who needs introduction to this iconic brand. We call every classic SUV as a "Jeep".

As we can see, apart from "Thar", rest of the models are not really aimed at mass market price levels.

Also there are only few brands such as Jeep or Mini which seem to be having their model portfolio based on "classic" inspired looks.

I have chosen not to include cars such as Camaro, Mustang, VW Beetle, Fiat500 etc for either being too rare or discontinued in our market. With that out of our way, over to you folks !!
rajshenoy is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 16:07   #2
BHPian

re: Retro / Classic trends in the car scene

I believe we could add Rolls-Royce cars to the list. Rolls-Royce cars still have the iconic and vintage look. They continue to use the same grill design which has some history behind it.The same grill and the Spirit of Ecstasy are present in their models since ages. Their models have a similar silhouette and they follow a three line principle for their design.

Quote:
Inspired by Rome’s imposing Pantheon temple, the Rolls-Royce grille is iconic. The Pantheon’s majestic columns were purposefully built with wider middle sections so that the human eye perceives each long pillar to be completely straight. It’s a perfect optical illusion and a genius stroke of design.

From the iconic Phantom to the revolutionary Cullinan, this three-line principle creates forms which are unique, unmistakable and enduring in style.

Rolls-Royce Phantom
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-dsc_17772.jpg

Image Source

Last edited by RR96 : 15th December 2020 at 16:26.
RR96 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 16:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a market - Yes, in fractions
Is there a mass market - No

Only 2 categories of target customers
- people who have some attachments with the old brand or a specific model
- Someone who is looking to buy a product that could stand out of the regular crowd

All the models your listed above (Except the Honda E) are not modern cars with classic look, it is other way round. They are vintage models with added modern technologies to keep up with the market trend / norms.
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 16:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Is there a market - Yes, in fractions
Is there a mass market - No

All the models your listed above (Except the Honda E) are not modern cars with classic look, it is other way round. They are vintage models with added modern technologies to keep up with the market trend / norms.
I tend to agree with you. It is an open ended thread actually with the aim to understand sentiments of fellow Team-bhp members.

In two wheelers where we have the Triumph Bonnies as well as mass leader Royal enfield to cater to various spectrum of the society. We have also seen resurrection of Jawa, Imperiale, Honda CB and then the likes of Vespa in scooter segment.

However the scenario changes when it comes to four wheels. Is it because it is impossible to meet the stringent safety norms OR people just want to own more futuristic design compared to their neighbor. Or perhaps majority of us are still not able to afford one car in the family(we already see one or more 2 wheelers per home)

And this could be a global trend because VW stopped production of a classic such as beetle.

Few other potential mass market neo retro options can be upcoming Suzuki Jimny and (if i can take creative liberty) Maruti DZire(seem to be inspired by HM Ambassador).

Last edited by rajshenoy : 15th December 2020 at 16:59.
rajshenoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
So is there a market for classic cars ? Does anyone here decides on a model just because of classic looks ?
I don't see general public accepting a modern retro version of a classic car, say for example HM's Ambassador as they would accept a modern version of RX-100. Sure there are many enthusiasts who would like it but the general public may call its design outdated. I like classic designs be it for a bike or a car and would personally like to see a classic retro version of the following cars

1. SS80 or the first Maruti 800
2. Premier Padmini
3. HM Ambassador etc.

Can we extend this thread to - Which classic car would BHPians love to see in its modern retro version in mass market.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th December 2020 at 05:09. Reason: As requested
RR96 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 19:39   #6
BHPian

The Porsche 911 deserves to be the poster car for this thread -
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-img_2990.jpg
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-img_2985.jpgRetro / Classic trends in the car scene-img_2987.jpgRetro / Classic trends in the car scene-img_2988.jpg

Not exactly mass market, but it is the best selling sports car in India in the 1.5 crore+ price bracket. A reasonably common sports car in Delhi NCR, almost as common as a Mercedes G63/Range Rover in some areas of the city (Golf course road, Vasant Kunj and Golf links/Khan Market)
Darkviper is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 09:06   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Retro / Classic trends in the car scene

^ So true, man! The 911 is perhaps the epitome of classic styling that's still modern. Also agreed with the classy Jeep / Thar & Mercedes G-Class.

Here are some cars that have done the retro-classic thing really well. Dodge Challenger - man, I cannot take my eyes off it! In terms of design, I'd say it's my all-time Top 3:
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-2020dodgechallengerheromobilegreydrivingdesert_9bf9e353a81bb96f4932359a6d417a151242x1085.jpg

The Americans are good at this. Also consider the Mustang:
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-screenshot-20201216-08.56.31.png

How can the iconic Beetle not be a part of this post? I know the modern Beetle was controversial for purists, but I love it:
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-1-1.jpg

Perhaps the absolute worst retro-classic car in the world. The deplorable Zen Classic!
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-screenshot-20201216-09.01.38.png
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 10:34   #8
BHPian

During the Mid 2000s, the American market had some really cool looking retro cars:

The Chrysler PT cruiser:

Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-e022faee37534ae082a8dba525f06afc.jpeg

The Plymouth Prowler:

Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-70478c5994a04cfa9f1de9fe9d8eb3f4.jpeg

The Chevrolet SSR pickup:

Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-32c8438307534feaabd04ccf214cf67a.jpeg

(All images taken from Google images, credit to respective owners)

All these cars were modern incarnations of particular old models that were very dear to the American car buying public. However, these cars didn’t really sell too well, as far as I know.
I think, in India the problem is that there are very few cars that appeal to our emotions, because we are a relatively young car market. Unlike the United States, where the common man had been buying cars ever since the Model-T came out, the Indian market picked up relatively recently, I.e. in the 80s and 90s. Other than the retro Thar, a few cars come to mind:

1. Tata Sierra- Tata showcased the Sierra Concept quite recently. This is one car that many of us fondly remember:
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-380062a9dedf4363bca2c89a4eb757f3.jpeg

2. Hyundai Santro- Hyundai launched an all-new hatchback in 2020, and named it Santro. They also complimented this with an elaborate ad campaign, reminding people of the roots of the brand in India:
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-f9205759755e42a1859668c9b9e35930.jpeg

3. Maruti Suzuki Ignis- Maruti introduced this car in 2017. The entire car is designed with the retro theme in mind. It tries to incorporate design elements from Suzuki hatchbacks from the 1980s:
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-3dc48c836b0d46808c589b62bc862183.jpeg
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 10:38   #9
SRK
Senior - BHPian

There are quite a few cars that retain their retro looks yet have today's tech inside them. However it is the two-wheeler segment where we see a lot of such products.

Suzuki Jimny
Ford Mustang
Toyota century
Fiat 500

I think in future we might to get to see a few more of these given that auto makers have showcased a lot of concept cars inspired by the classic legends in the past.
SRK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 11:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
There are quite a few cars that retain their retro looks yet have today's tech inside them. However it is the two-wheeler segment where we see a lot of such products.
What is also worth noticing is we still have the likes of RE Bullet which is under continuous production yet has not changed a bit(though we can call it BS6 compliant, has Disc and ABS etc.

If we compare this with cars, we talk about generations and evolution and the expectation is the design elements(both inside and out) has to look different from previous generation(with some exception in premium/sport segment of course)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 13:52   #11
BHPian

How about the SLS AMG which is based on the iconic design of SL 300.
Attached Thumbnails
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-mercedesbenz_sls_amg_c_197__mercedesbenz_300_sl_w_198__frontansicht_10._august_2011_dsseldorf.jpg  

virajmore03 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 18:05   #12
BHPian

I am a big fan of retro designs. I hope someone revives the humble Ambassador or Contessa some day.

I think companies are staying away from retro designs due to one factor - Safety!

Retro cars has got sharp cuts and edges around the body, maybe it effects the Pedestrian Safety!
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 20:12   #13
rpm
BHPian

Do the Daewoo Matiz and Chevy Spark qualify?
Attached Thumbnails
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-2000_daewoo_matiz_se_plus_800cc_front.jpg  

Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-1200pxchevrolet_spark_abu_dhabi_front01.jpg  

rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 20:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Perhaps the absolute worst retro-classic car in the world. The deplorable Zen Classic!
Attachment 2093713
Absolutely, I wonder what this designer was smoking when he conceptualized and slaughtered an otherwise handsome jellybean car. Talking of failures in riding the retro wave was another car, the Hyundai Sonata which tried the age old classic Jag design, but met with limited success
Attached Thumbnails
Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-hyundai_sonata_2003_petrol_2003_hyundai_sonata_petrol_90000_kms_5660042600863743315.jpg  

dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 22:04   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

There are not that many retro cars I would like to own. Part of the problem being me being a bit of classic car nut case. So I tend to prefer the original over the retro regardless.

But there are the odd cases where the retro version is actually a very appealing car in its own right. A good case is, probably, the BMW Z8.

Of course, it featured in a James Bond movie. But it is really a gorgeous car, very well made and it goes like stink!

The Z8 originally was designed as a styling exercise intended to evoke and celebrate the 1956–1959 BMW 507. Whereas I would probably still prefer the original 507, the Z8 is definitely in a class of its own. They were only produced for about three years and a decent one will set you back at least Euro 200-250.000. Prices have been on the up for years.

The original 507

Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-screenshot-20201217-5.33.16-pm.png

The retro Z8

Retro / Classic trends in the car scene-screenshot-20201217-5.22.50-pm.png

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks