Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2007, 10:35   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
My experience of adding Petra into my life and regretting later. It was posted in detail in one of the Fiat bashing threads.
Will search and put some links onto it as soon as I reach a PC (my phone can't paste links).

The latest we have on store is an engine failure. Which made the car go off it's duty and almost every dealer was promising the job to be finished in 1 month time due to non availability of spares. Finally the job is done with a hefty bill nearing a lac. All this on a car which is barely 18 months old.

Should I not be happy it is finally ceased from production?
I think it is high time Fiat gives us a good car from it's European line up. Hope the stopping of Petra leads to that.
I sypathise with you on your Petra experience.
But with your logic, each and every car/model need to be stopped. Because there will be one person at least with a horrible bad experience.
Come on speedzak, every one knows that Petra is a good car. At least I know as I am driving it for more than two years
Old 18th April 2007, 10:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My experience of adding Petra into my life and regretting later.
I think I remember that. But was it you or your uncle who had added the car to his life? Also, going by your logic, the removal of Sumos should be a blessing for all Indians (ref Varun Roy's case).

But that is not in any way to take away from the trauma that the said Petra has given you.
Old 18th April 2007, 11:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Kumar View Post
Speedzak
My experience with Petra is also not good so far. I bought the car in June 2006. After 2nd service I found clutch slippage problem; I came to know that oil seal of the gear box is damaged leading to oil leakage in clutch housing resulting in clutch damage. Of course the job was done under warentee.
Immediately after, I found oil leakage problem from engine; Again one oil seal damaged and was replaced. I do not know, what is the next?

Imagining your problem in engine within 18 months, I just pray. I want to keep my vehicle for next 10 years. I have stopped thinking about the resale value.
Problems like this can happen in any car.
I did have an problem ( starting problem) after almost 2 yrs. which got resolved after almost 15 days. But that was because of the incompetent Tata staff servicing fiats.
That does not mean that the Car is bad, as Always, I enjoy its ride
And I am sure that people having fiats can only think of keeping the car for 10 years, Car build quality is meant to last for that much time if not driven harshly. No other car in the same segment except GMs comes near to Palio/Petra Build Quality. And don't think about resale, even a Honda and toyota would have fetch you just a few thousands more for a 10 year old car.
Enjoy with what you have......Spares will not be problem since Fiat is continuing with 1.6 engine.
GD

Last edited by greatDrive : 18th April 2007 at 11:36.
Old 18th April 2007, 16:08   #34
BHPian

Fiat is about to launch some new sedans.. I think its named Punto (not entirely sure abt the name).

That is the reason why they stopped Petra production. Palios also will be stopped after some time to be replaced by the hatchback version of the new model Palio or Punto
Old 19th April 2007, 00:49   #35
BHPian

Only onething is sure that they are having a poor strategy. Otherwise they have got excellent technology at their hands. Lot of engines, petrol/lpg and diesel. So the cost of initial investment is limited for fiat.
Old 19th April 2007, 00:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
No other car in the same segment except GMs comes near to Palio/Petra Build Quality.
Can you justify or quantify this?

If Fiat is such a great car maker, why is it in trouble so often?
Old 19th April 2007, 01:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
If Fiat is such a great car maker, why is it in trouble so often?
Only Fiat India is not doing so good, Fiat worldwide are doing great and making profits!
Old 19th April 2007, 01:15   #38
BANNED

If making things heavier and thicker is the meaning of quality, then the above claim may stand true.
The reason told by fiat technicians for the engine failure was that maybe the car fell in a pothole!
Don't hold your laugh. Because I almost lost my breath due to it.
Old 19th April 2007, 01:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If making things heavier and thicker is the meaning of quality, then the above claim may stand true.
Why doesn't your respective Car company too make things heavier and thicker? They won't becoz they want to make light weight Cars for the sake of high mileage and least bothered if the car occupants come out alive if involved in a nasty accident!

Grow up guys, learn to appreciate the merits of other Cars too!
Old 19th April 2007, 01:36   #40
BANNED

Heavier and thicker thingys which cannot even hold itself in a pothole!

Petra is stopped. And That's a good decision from Fiat if we get a better car replacing it. Yes, something from it's european lineup preferably. I think That's what they have in mind. Come on Fiat! It's high time you lived up to your name.
Old 19th April 2007, 01:38   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heavier and thicker thingys which cannot even hold itself in a pothole!
If you want to crack a joke, so be it....!
Old 19th April 2007, 05:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Only Fiat India is not doing so good, Fiat worldwide are doing great and making profits!
Let me refresh your memory. In 2002, they made a loss of USD 500 million. Around the same time, they had accumulated debts of over USD 6 billion. Since the early 90s, Fiat has lurched from one crisis to the next. The Grande Punto is known as the car that 'saved' Fiat, because Fiat desperately needed saving. I am not aware of the current status of Fiat, but I hope they're not making a half-billion operational loss. Or you guys will be out of rides.

Is Fiat present in the largest market in the world, North America?
Old 19th April 2007, 05:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Why doesn't your respective Car company too make things heavier and thicker? They won't becoz they want to make light weight Cars for the sake of high mileage and least bothered if the car occupants come out alive if involved in a nasty accident!
I doubt 100 kgs or a 10% increase in weight brings down mileage from 15 kmpl to 10 kmpl. Maybe you should check your figures.

No one has answered my question. Why is Fiat perceived to have 'good build quality'? The Indica weighs only a hundred kgs or so less. The Swift is nigh on the same weight as the Palio. And it has a 4 star rating (with airbags etc) from Euro NCAP. What about the Palio? Oh, I forgot! The Palio isn't even SOLD in Europe!!!
Old 19th April 2007, 07:34   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Is Fiat present in the largest market in the world, North America?
I think its more of a mindset.... as there are some good European manufactures who have not hit the NA market.
Citreon
Renault

It has taken years for Nissan to launch their flagship SEDAN, The Skyline to the NA market
Old 19th April 2007, 08:31   #45
BHPian

Palio was designed specially for "third world market" with the car being developed in Brasil. If the initial buyers of the Siena and the palio could testify, they were build in Brasil. Only later was the production moved to India.

And FIAT is down and out in India coz of its horrible after sales service.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks