Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2007, 11:28   #16
Team-BHP Support

As with others on this forum, the Adventure seems to be growing on me.
With its macho looks, it definitely is value for the money one spends on it. The Petra on the other hand is hardly seen, which means low volumes.

Tata would obviously not want to retain the Petra which while serving as in-house competition to their Indigo also serves as excess baggage from Fiat which wasnt doing them any wonders.

Just a thought i had... since the Adventure has been retained.. doesnt that add up to competition for the Marina? What would be the OTR prices for the two?
Old 14th April 2007, 11:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
since the Adventure has been retained.. doesnt that add up to competition for the Marina?
The adventure is available only with a petrol engine option where an equally equipped marina is available for 60,000 less.

For the same amount of the adventure sport you could get yourself a dicor[common rail diesel version of the marina].Anyways tata too seem to be considering the marina a niche product and are not all that bothered about setting sales charts on fire with the marina.
Old 16th April 2007, 17:50   #18
BHPian

I am dissapppointed to know that Fiat Petra has been discontinued. As I have bought the car only 10 months ago, what should I do? How long Tata - Fiat would provide services (repair / maintenance on this car? I really do not care whether it is in the market or not but I am really concerned about the services.
What would be best strategy for me?

Does any body know about commonality of spare parts between Fiat Petra / Adventure / Palio 1.6? I am really feeling low on my decision? I must add that I was influenced by team BHP about buying this car (I do not intend to blame) and I seek suggestions from the experts.
Old 16th April 2007, 20:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Kumar View Post
Does any body know about commonality of spare parts between Fiat Petra / Adventure / Palio 1.6? I am really feeling low on my decision? I must add that I was influenced by team BHP about buying this car (I do not intend to blame) and I seek suggestions from the experts.
Hi Subodh, Nothing to worry since Palio is relaunched with the Stile version. And both 1.1 and 1.6 version would be available!
And, Petra = Palio 1.6 + Boot
So the spares are common in both Palio and Petra!
Please cheer-up and continue to enjoy your drive on Petra!
Old 16th April 2007, 20:23   #20
BHPian

The petra, the Palio 1.6 and the Adventure share the same engine, the same body work, the same doors (I'm comparing the Adventure and the Petra here), the same mirrors, and the same headlights.

The only things that are different are the tail lamps in the Petra/Siena. I'm not sure that dealers will have them in stock, till then drive safely - take care of your backside! i"m going to do that as well!! :-)
Old 17th April 2007, 12:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

May be they are planning to rebadge it with some other name and then Launch it...knowing Fiat, it cannot be denied!!!
Old 17th April 2007, 14:04   #22
BHPian

Petra would have been discontinued to make space for Linea
Subodh, dont worry about spares as Finney pointed out...Palio/Adventure share the same spares so it should n't be an issue
Old 17th April 2007, 19:57   #23
BHPian

They probably discontinued the Petra equivalent worldwide, like that happened with the Suzuki and Baleno. I would be surprised if Fiat continued selling any one model for more than 7 years. The Palio stile is sold as just 'stile' in Europe, and is really not recommended - almost has an Indica Xeta feel to it in that continent.
Old 17th April 2007, 20:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
The adventure is available only with a petrol engine option where an equally equipped marina is available for 60,000 less.

For the same amount of the adventure sport you could get yourself a dicor[common rail diesel version of the marina].Anyways tata too seem to be considering the marina a niche product and are not all that bothered about setting sales charts on fire with the marina.
I test drove the Marina for a friend a couple of years ago. As a matter of fact we kept taking test drives to convince ourselves that this was a good buy (the 2005 IDI edition - not the DiCor), because we sort of liked the way it looked - much better than the Indigo. My friend finally bought it and is (still) very happy with it. I thought it was a good vehicle though lacking in power, low end torque for city driving, and a serious dose of driving pleasure, but otherwise both a good looking and practical car without the pretensions of the sedan. I could not help feeling the rear felt and handled better than the Indigo, though maybe this was just perception. At that time we were waiting for Tata's to announce an 'adventure' sort of version of the Marina, with larger tyres and add-on wheel haunches.

That never happened. I think Tata's missed out on an opportunity to do a nice design and positioning job on the Marina, because of the presence of the Adventure in the same showroom.
Old 17th April 2007, 21:00   #25
BANNED

Thank god! It is finally stopped.

My experience with a Petra was worst ever I had with a car. I silently prayed many a time that Fiat should stop making cars like these and now atleast one model is out of production.

Why it was stopped?
To help the indians.
Old 17th April 2007, 21:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Good sense to discontinue something which never sold. Anyways discontinued or not it will not make any difference as it was hardly selling any numbers.
If your above argument is right, then what is the rationale behind continuing adventure. Adventure hasnt sold not even 1/4th of petra ,so when i went to book a fiat the existence of an adventure was somewhat a surprise for me.

After getting my fiat, everyone of my friends and relatives asked me why we imported a vehicle. When i made a detailed study on people who bought adventure it was less than 10 in kerala. Whereas petra had more than 100 takers .
Old 18th April 2007, 01:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
My experience with a Petra was worst ever I had with a car.
If you don't mind, can you please share your bad experience with Petra?
Old 18th April 2007, 08:10   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Thank god! It is finally stopped.

My experience with a Petra was worst ever I had with a car. I silently prayed many a time that Fiat should stop making cars like these and now atleast one model is out of production.
Speedzak, being a Petra owner myself I would like to ask you specifically what makes you think it was the worst ever you had with a car!?
Old 18th April 2007, 09:51   #29
BANNED

My experience of adding Petra into my life and regretting later. It was posted in detail in one of the Fiat bashing threads.
Will search and put some links onto it as soon as I reach a PC (my phone can't paste links).

The latest we have on store is an engine failure. Which made the car go off it's duty and almost every dealer was promising the job to be finished in 1 month time due to non availability of spares. Finally the job is done with a hefty bill nearing a lac. All this on a car which is barely 18 months old.

Should I not be happy it is finally ceased from production?
I think it is high time Fiat gives us a good car from it's European line up. Hope the stopping of Petra leads to that.
Old 18th April 2007, 10:20   #30
BHPian

Speedzak
My experience with Petra is also not good so far. I bought the car in June 2006. After 2nd service I found clutch slippage problem; I came to know that oil seal of the gear box is damaged leading to oil leakage in clutch housing resulting in clutch damage. Of course the job was done under warentee.
Immediately after, I found oil leakage problem from engine; Again one oil seal damaged and was replaced. I do not know, what is the next?

Imagining your problem in engine within 18 months, I just pray. I want to keep my vehicle for next 10 years. I have stopped thinking about the resale value.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed