Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2020, 07:44   #106
BHPian

Re: Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India

What was the USP of Honda cars in India when they were launched. Great and the best engines out there in the market, around which beautiful looking cars were woven. Cases in point OHC City, Civic and Accord 1st and 2nd generation cars. They all had excellent engines and beautifull designs, which highlighted there superiority over others. With time they started making weirdly designed cars or we can say not exciting enough. There engines lost that performance edge. Even now if Honda plonk there best turbo petrols in Crv and Civic at there current prices people will start to value the premium and technology which made Honda a stand out brand in India. There is that old saying that never forget your core strengths while trying to follow others.

Axing of Crv and Civic by Honda is the result of Honda forgetting or abandoning there core virtues.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 25th December 2020 at 11:06. Reason: typo
Sandeep500 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 09:41   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTO View Post
If I recall correctly, Honda was selling the diesel civic at 3 lacs off and petrol at 1.5 - 2 lacs off last month. When the dealers find it difficult to sell the last few pieces, you can push for as much as 4- 5 lacs for a diesel civic and 3 -4 for the petrol.
Even though the phasing out discounts maybe per se lucrative, I'd steer well clear of picking one up.

It's a premium vehicle with a very low production run, plus a CKD which means every component will be imported. There will be no Indian vendors to fall back upon.

Even if a simple part like an ORVM is damaged, owners could potentially face prohibitive repair bills and increasingly longer wait times. The issue will be exacerbated for body panels and glass items.

Modders will not touch that ancient engine either unlike when most used last-gen Civics were lapped up by enthusiasts and modded.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 12:19   #108
Senior - BHPian

I would actually support this move. What is the point in carrying on dead weight ? Those 2 never really translated into sustainable sales numbers.

This could be a good opportunity to utilize that space and energy into focusing on the SUV market. And Honda, If your reading this post :

1. Don't repeat the mobilio/brv kind of interiors.
2. Also bring out aggressive pricing. Look at how the Nissan Magnite is priced.
3. Please bring manual and automatic (CVT/Torque convertor only) options.
4. They basically need to bring a "city" in the SUV segment.

People still trust the Honda brand. The global conglomerate that even makes aviation jets can definitely get a proper Sonet/Seltos competitor here. And the market will reward positively.

Last edited by TrackDay : 25th December 2020 at 12:20.
TrackDay is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 17:24   #109
BHPian

We should not be surprised if Jazz is also added to this list in the near future with its dwindling sales month on month .
Honda may never learn & how long will they survive with their lone & old warrior (City)
Old 25th December 2020, 20:59   #110
BHPian

Honda Cars India Ltd ,is closing its old Noida car plant and shifting its entire production operation to its Tapukara plant in Rajasthan. The shifting process leaves no room for CKD assembly of the premium offerings CR-V and Civic and hence Honda has decided to discontinue them with immediate effect.

While the Civic has been doing slightly better than CR-V in terms of monthly sales, the volumes simply don’t justify installing a new CKD assembly line at Tapukara which is designed to manufacture mass-market mid-size cars.

Source- rushlane.com
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 21:17   #111
BHPian

I think some people here are confusing Honda service with that of the incredible Volkswagen group. Part availability for the Civic has never been a problem, even for the 8th gen model, even now. Most parts are available within 1-2 weeks.

The Civic sells ~300,000 units annually in the US, a lot of which are the NA engine / CVT combo. Safe to say, current Civic owners dont have much to worry about.

Let's put some numbers in context. The poor selling / terrible / out dated Civic sold ~6300 units in 18 months. The wildly successful Karoq struggled to sell 2000 units in 12 months. I remember the Mumbai dealership struggled badly to sell-off their inventory.

I'm very happy with my Civic purchase - 5 year warranty, good / solid performance and striking looks. Certainly more than my relative whose mighty Octavia gathers dust in the Autobahn service center awaiting replacement of a component. Bet he's loving the high-revving engine.

Last edited by andafunda : 25th December 2020 at 21:40.
andafunda is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 22:45   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
I think some people here are confusing Honda service with that of the incredible Volkswagen group. Part availability for the Civic has never been a problem, even for the 8th gen model, even now. Most parts are available within 1-2 weeks.

Let's put some numbers in context. The poor selling / terrible / out dated Civic sold ~6300 units in 18 months. The wildly successful Karoq struggled to sell 2000 units in 12 months. I remember the Mumbai dealership struggled badly to sell-off their inventory.
Agree that spares won’t be an issue with the Civic. Honda and Toyota in terms of after-sales are spot-on, never will anyone see unavailability of spares.

OT: Civic was a CKD, Karoq was a CBU both can’t be compared in terms of sales and Karoq had 1000 units available across the country not 2000
CEF_Beasts is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 00:03   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Agree that spares won’t be an issue with the Civic. Honda and Toyota in terms of after-sales are spot-on, never will anyone see unavailability of spares.
Absolutely. Here's to Honda brining the XI generation to India.

Meanwhile, I hope to treat myself to the Civic X for many a mile and years to come!

Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India-20201226_000710.jpg

Last edited by andafunda : 26th December 2020 at 00:10.
andafunda is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 08:04   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
We should not be surprised if Jazz is also added to this list in the near future with its dwindling sales month on month .
Add WR-V to the list.

For the last six months - WRV hasn't even sold in 4 digits on an average. And this is in the hottest segment in the country right now! Wouldn't be surprising if the platform (Jazz + WRV) is discontinued.

Only problem is - that leaves Honda with only two cars. City and Amaze.
Old 26th December 2020, 08:35   #115
BHPian

You can extend the warranty on the Civic X upto 10 years. It is one of the world's most popular cars and Honda has committed to 15 years of parts availability in India. Personally, I took a considered decision when I chose it over the Octavia, and my opinion still is that if you want a D segment sedan which is fun to drive, and promises years of hassle free ownership, your only choice right now is the Civic. The discounts are a sweetener.

I recently hit a concrete block and had to have the door and running board replaced, the workshop claimed it would take 2 weeks, but Honda supplied them with a new door and running board before the survey was over.

Plus, there are n number of 3rd party suppliers of parts/mods for it, though, unfortunately, Aliexpress is now banned.
teknophobia is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 10:39   #116
BHPian

Quote:

The Civic sells ~300,000 units annually in the US
Since there are many references and comparisons to Volkswagon group, let me set this straight. One can order and get most non consumable Skoda parts in about 10 days, for discontinued vehicles, such as Fabia and Laura. I assume the same works for Volkswagon cats too. So there is nothing pathbeaking with honda, nothing lame with Volkswagon group. In fact, BMW dealer at bangalore offered me that they can and will support '90s 5 series, provided I dish out the cash . On the other side, former dealer turned Mitsubishi service center at bangalore refused to take our Lancer for work.

Owning any low volume and discontinued car, outside warranty demands higher level of knowledge and commitment from the owner. For european cars, part sourcing is best done from UK (and other European countries is you have contacts). For Japanese, we can do the same from Malaysia, Thailand etc.

So, if anyone is expecting hassle free parts availability with Civic off the shelf, you may be disappointed.

To talk about Honda reliability, what can i say about a company that doesn't even know what is needed to succeed in the market. Isn't consistency with words and actions also add to perception of reliability?
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 11:36   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Since there are many references and comparisons to Volkswagon group, let me set this straight. One can order and get most non consumable Skoda parts in about 10 days, for discontinued vehicles, such as Fabia and Laura. I assume the same works for Volkswagon cats too.
Sir, thank you for your wise words. The Civic isn't my first car. I know how part sourcing works. Spent a little bit of time in e-commerce and being around global sourcing channels.

As I have said before on this forum, we have atleast 4 VAG cars in our immediate family and even more in the extended family. The experience with part sourcing even for mass market cars like the Rapid, Vento and Octavia has been terrible. An Octavia my family member bought is gathering dust for the last 4 weeks for the want of a replacement part. Have you tried to claim anything under warranty with Volkswagen? Please don't assume anything about that wreck of a company.
andafunda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 11:39   #118
BHPian

Quote:

The Civic sells ~300,000 units annually in the US, a lot of which are the NA engine / CVT combo. Safe to say, current Civic owners dont have much to worry about.

I'm very happy with my Civic purchase - 5 year warranty, good / solid performance and striking looks. Certainly more than my relative whose mighty Octavia gathers dust in the Autobahn service center awaiting replacement of a component. Bet he's loving the high-revving engine.
My thoughts too. I too am not at all worried about parts availability and after sales service.
Actually as Civic won't be sold on Indian roads anymore means an added boon - my car would always remain a rare view on the roads and hence a head turner
ssenhyd is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 12:28   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
... Owning any low volume and discontinued car, outside warranty demands higher level of knowledge and commitment from the owner. For european cars, part sourcing is best done from UK (and other European countries is you have contacts). For Japanese, we can do the same from Malaysia, Thailand etc.

So, if anyone is expecting hassle free parts availability with Civic off the shelf, you may be disappointed...
Personally, I've never been a fan of Honda/Toyota, but, parts availability for the earlier 8th gen civic is still hassle free after 14 years since launch. Toyota/Honda still occupy the top 2 spots on reliability in the US market.

In the rare event that you get a mechanical problem, sorting it out is neither time consuming, nor expensive. VAG cars may be engineering marvels, but reliable hassle free ownership has never been a trademark.

The people I know with Toyota/Honda cars swear by their reliability, the ones who decided to go for Octavias as their first D segment sedans were quite happy to replace them within 3 years.
teknophobia is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 12:49   #120

With the poor build quality of the the current civic, this is not surprising. Already a prominent dealership - Courtesy Honda, in North has started winding up from many places.

And with the Honda team not receiving legal notice from the court from the last 1 year at their Noida Head Office, shouldn't take much to imagine their future.

Yours truly
A harrassed Civic Owner

Most Viewed