Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2020, 13:39   #121
BHPian

Re: Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India

If the Japs let go a bit and try to adapt more, they can do better like the Koreans & their own, Suzuki. Sigh!
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 20:31   #122
BHPian

Absolutely. All OEM's are busy focusing on 6 to 20 lac space. 20-40 lakh is such a wide range. Yet, hardly any option here. I too wonder why all OEM's are ignoring this segment. I did some research on this. Today you have only 3 options. Elantra, Tucson and Karoq. (Karoq may be just half a segment above. Its just that the price is high). I didn't mention Compass, Harrier, T-Roc, Hector because they may not feel like an upgrade. And didn't mention superb, camry, fortuner, endeavour, tiguan because their top end on road price is above 40 lakh. And most of them are 7 seaters.
So what will a city/verna/creta/seltos etc owner upgrade to?. Though I am not a fan of Hyundai, I admire them for giving at least a couple of options. No other player has anything to offer in this range. They should make the most of it by bringing the 2021 Elantra soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreevishnu View Post
Is there no segment between 25 and 40 lakhs? Is this segment not serviceable? Not profitable?
I wonder what the logic is, you can sell reasonably premium products with a USP (Japanese reliability, European handling, Affordable luxury, etc) but no OEM cares for that segment today.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 22:03   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Absolutely. All OEM's are busy focusing on 6 to 20 lac space. 20-40 lakh is such a wide range.
The manufacturers are ignoring this segment likely due to low volumes.

The way to have some volumes is to offer posh cars (looking like 20+ lakhs car but not costing that much) at lower prices. Offering more VFM for the segment. That is what a few manufacturers are focussing upon. Like Tata, Hyundai, Kia.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 26th December 2020 at 22:04.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 18:54   #124
BHPian

Okey, for the CRV this was acceptable.

But the Civic was at least selling on par and was leading the segment since it's launch albeit the weird Engine-Gearbox combination.

Why Honda Why!
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 12:10   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

The press is reading out an obituary for the D1 sedan:

Dusk of D segment sedans
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 13:54   #126
BHPian

I was seriously considering the CRV special edition with the additional features. Thankfully pushed my purchase decision to March'21. Honda India website still show CRV & Civic.

Honda is an classic example of how the company did not adapt to the market - they have an car for every segment and could have been an market leader had they shown some focus on India market.
pk1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:13   #127
BHPian

As per Honda employee, the plant shutting and limited sales number made both civic and crv unviable options hence discontinued.

In the near horizon (read 3 to 6 months) no new cars planned. An HRV based csuv as creta rival planned however the costs are going up so will be having a higher price tag than creta
Old 30th December 2020, 18:31   #128
Senior - BHPian

Just curious on how the CKD kits would be managed. Will they be sent back to origin country or still built and sold as long as they have kits available. Especially since they announced the special edition, but did not made, even one out to dealers.

Normally Honda doesn't end up in fire sale situations as they properly phase out models and are well versed in sunsetting a generation models when the newer ones appear. But this decision appears to be not so well planned.
Old 30th December 2020, 20:15   #129
bvk
BHPian

I was also considering CRV special edition seriously and even booked it online.

Got a call the next day from the dealer I had selected while booking, telling me that they did not have a single CRV (no demo, no display nothing) to show and they were not sure when it would be available. I asked him the news of CRV getting discontinued, he sounded clueless and only said they could update with further information during later part of Jan'21.

Am a big Honda fan, but sorry Honda, am now getting converted to VW - just booked Tiguan Allspace!
bvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 06:46   #130

I am feeling sorry for the dealers, who were expecting a surge in sales with the international models in the manufacturer line-up.
There is some serious issue with the market analysis team of Honda, as they are not able to turn in the engineering prowess to sales.
Owning the CR-V in canada, The price in India is exorbitant. They could have priced in at par with harrier. That might change the market dynamics altogether.
Old 31st December 2020, 11:22   #131
BHPian

After driving the 8th gen Civic for close to 12 years now, I went for a test drive of the 10th gen Civic upon it's launch in India (years after it launched in Pakistan). I hoped that the drive would excite me after losing interest in it by the looks of the new-gen model.

Sitting in the front seat I felt quite claustrophobic, I cannot pinpoint why that happened, maybe they have raised the gear/armrest, the seating configuration on that day was not suitable, note sure. The experience did not inspire confidence with this gen of civic. After checking the price of being close to 24L, I became a bit apprehensive in the way Honda India is heading

The model that excites me in today's Honda lineup is Honda Insight as linked here.

The design still resembles Civic in a certain sense but a better version of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India-honda-insight-2.jpg  

Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India-honda-insight.jpg  

Last edited by Ashutosh : 31st December 2020 at 11:29.
Ashutosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 11:28   #132
BHPian

just got a call from the Honda dealer saying they discontinued fresh sale of Civic and CRV and was offering a discount on the demo car as it was my last chance to get hold of one of these

Sad news, especially for the D segment. looks like it's only Elantra in there until Skoda relaunches the Octavia
AkshatR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 17:12   #133
bvk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshatR View Post
just got a call from the Honda dealer saying they discontinued fresh sale of Civic and CRV and was offering a discount on the demo car ...

Hmm, whatever happened to the CRV special edition then? Anyone has an idea if atleast one unit was ever delivered?
Old 11th January 2021, 15:56   #134
BHPian

Had a weird(ish) call with a Dakshin Honda on Sunday.

So I just typed in my email and phone number on their website inquiring about the Civic (basically throwing my hat in the ring for discounts). A representative promptly called me, and broke the news to me that Civic has been discontinued. An awkward pause followed, and then I asked "now what?", to which he said production will resume in August and the car will be available then.

Anybody else hear something similar?
Jeevith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 20:42   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevith View Post
Had a weird(ish) call with a Dakshin Honda on Sunday.
and then I asked "now what?", to which he said production will resume in August and the car will be available then.

Anybody else hear something similar?
Much before the news of Civic/CR-V axing came in, enquiry on the CR-V was something of this sort. "The production is temporarily stopped and will resume only end of January."

Hoping against hope that this could be true. Atleast wait is just for couple more weeks, compared to August
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks