Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:53   #1
BHPian

Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India

Quote:
HCIL has stopped the production of Civic and CR-V and also discontinues selling them in India with immediate effect.
https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...osure/79916710
https://www.cartoq.com/honda-discont...ic-cr-v-india/

Quote:
We will continue to provide premium products and premium brand image to the customers in India, ''Gaku Nakanishi, president and CEO, had announced earlier this year
Wonder how they plan on doing it after discontinuing their premium products in the country

Quote:
Honda Cars' market share in FY20 slipped to 3.7% from 5.5% in FY'2019. It had emerged as the third-largest carmaker in July 2014 with monthly volumes rising 40% to 15,709 units, overtaking the home-grown player Mahindra & Mahindra. It had hit the best performance with almost 7% market share in April-June FY15. Currently, the carmaker is selling about 9,500 units a month.
It is really a sad state that Honda is in. From once being an aspirational manufacturer to now being a player on the sidelines. Take out City and Amaze, that too with City in a dying segment, it is only a question of when they might fold up?

Last edited by adityak7 : 23rd December 2020 at 15:57.
adityak7 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India

Just saw this few minutes back. Its shocking!
Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India-1dda3f6d9105486a8ed787eed062d92e.jpeg

The CRV was over priced for the engine (Diesel) it offered. But never expected they will take off the Civic!

With the exit of Altis and now Civic, Skoda & Hyundai must be jumping with joy, for their Elantra and Octavia!

Last edited by Samba : 23rd December 2020 at 16:14.
Samba is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:16   #3
BHPian

Sad day for people who bought these in the recent past. Resale values plunge. There should be a law making sure that customers are made aware of the model discontinuation at least 6 months before it happens.

I remember the way Baleno sedan was discontinued. Maruti dealers openly told customers that it was happening and their sales were stock clearance. Most customers were okay with it because Maruti assured support. With Honda, that's not the case. Imagine buying a 25 plus lakh car only to find out it got discontinued a year later. Disappointing.
Cessna182 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:18   #4
BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Official Review

Civic and CRV discontinued! What a sad thing to happen to Indian auto market. I don't know if an MT Civic Petrol would have changed anything.

Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India-autocar_india202012230001.jpg
sangam_mm93 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Sad news indeed for the existing customers.

There were very very few CR-V owners. Comparatively, Civic users will be more. Hope they won't struggle for the spares.

Yes, the resale values will get affected but anyway both these models did not enjoy a great resale value. In fact, these were hard to find a buyer for. So practically, the customers don't suffer more loss.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 23rd December 2020 at 16:26.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

What a poor show by Honda in India. There is a separate thread for Honda's affairs in India so we'll discuss everything there.

Regards to this news, I don't think there's any reason to worry for existing owners or those looking to buy used. Cars like Civic, CR-V and even Jazz for that matter have intermittently been sold in India over the years but owners have had no issues. Civic and CR-V are best-sellers globally so there's a good amount of demand as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd December 2020 at 20:50. Reason: Using a more family friendly word
libranof1987 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

I foresee a lot of issues with dealerships going forward unless Honda India really steps up to the table. Its really surprising the way the real big boys of the Japanese automotive world have worked in the Indian market. Without exception, they have had problems selling more than one or two segments. Toyota has pretty much failed (by itself) in the sub-20 lac segment, and Honda has failed in the segment above 20 lac and below 10 lac both (excepting Amaze).

Nissan had great potential but it also faltered along the way, but is at least trying something out by way of the Magnite (which is creditable as compared to Honda, which refuses to put the 1.5 iVTEC into the WRV).

And then people complain about Korean domination.
fhdowntheline is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:59   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Strategies going wrong all the way. No new product available immediately. How can they survive only with City & Amaze?

It is very sad to see the exit of 2 nice (& overpriced) products.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th December 2020 at 04:52. Reason: Punctuation, grammatical error.
AutoDowntowner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:24   #9
BHPian

This is quite sad indeed.
Had they at least paired this announcement with a probable introduction of any cross-overs or SUVs, it might have indicated a positive intent and a re-balancing of the product portfolio to keep up with the changing trends.

It's not like they are bereft of models to launch.
Bringing in a few of their global models at a reasonable price, they have every opportunity to be a dominant player in India. It's a lost opportunity for Honda.

With every reduction in the number of players and models, ultimately, it's the customers who lose out in the long run.
FlashMustang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

To be frank, didn't expect the next gen Civic to come to India. But thought they would let the present Civic run its course. Especially since they launched even the BS6 diesel, even when they stopped the CRV diesel.

Personally , Weird list, but the Civic diesel and the Fortuner are two of my attainable aspirational new purchases.

Covid casualty or sedanocalypse.
Sad news.

One thing is for sure. Honda's image would take a battering, if they don't launch something above the City.
Or maybe they are going to use the 2500/year import quota?

edit: one the brighter side, used Civics would be more easily affordable now

Last edited by DicKy : 23rd December 2020 at 17:47.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Another nail in Honda India’s coffin.

I came very close to buying a petrol Civic a few months back. Never in my wildest dreams had I imagined the car would be discontinued. It was a damn good car.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

I can understand the CRV but even the Civic which itself is a brand. This is very sad, bad management decisions like,no manual transmission in a car built which is perceived as sporty, poor engine choice for a car this size should have been a 2.0 litre engine and no automatic diesel. No need to worry about spares though as the same engine as the old eight gen does duty in the Civic. Feel so bad for the people who bought this car, best is to hold on it for long. There are still many discontinued Honda's running around eg the old City so service etc is not really going to be a major problem.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

HCIL says that the decision to realign its manufacturing operations was taken to improve business efficiency.

Expecting Jazz to be the next!

Here are the 2020 (till date) sales/dispatch figures of the two discontinued models.

Honda discontinues Civic and CR-V in India-1.png

Link
volkman10 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely heartbreaking! Civic was the only car in the Honda showroom that actually lived up to the brand's expectations when I was window shopping last year. It was absolutely desirable apart from that CVT gearbox considering it had plenty of offers.

The CRV was expected to be dead on arrival with that suicidal pricing.
Turbohead is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:43   #15
BHPian

Shows complete lack of ground market realities.

I own a CRV and was keen on buying another one not to replace but to use alongside the current one and this is the news that comes out. Completely disappointed with this poor show by Honda Car india.

Now what is left only city and amaze and WRV to sell ? Even jazz will go next . Are they planning on exiting completely ? Ridiculous news.

Sad truth is I still wouldn’t buy a VW or skoda as the reliability of my CRV is better and gives me more piece of mind than any of these German brands.

I think the management of Honda india should be completely sacked it is long overdue.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th December 2020 at 04:19. Reason: Using a more family friendly word
M00M is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks