Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 21:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I agree with Mag and would think that this has far greater implications. If anyone wanted to casually import / forward, why a Daihatsu?

I smell Toyota. Great find, wimwian! Thanks for sharing...
Could be Maruti or TATA, wanting to take it apart and check it out and maybe learn something.
Old 18th April 2007, 16:51   #17
BHPian

Guys

I think we are shooting off in the wrong direction, I am 99% sure it is an import for Bhutan - being a land locked country only way to get a car in is through Kolkata port. There is a garage in Kolkata opp Sambhu Nath Pandit Hospital who store and transport the cars to Thimpu. And the white sheets are no camalflouge but is how cars are transported in containers, actully they are sprayed with grease of sorts to protect from rust. This car has been cleaned and is waiting temp no to send off to its destination.

Ritayan
Old 18th April 2007, 18:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why would you import one car at a time and a Sirion from japan when so many are available from India.
Old 18th April 2007, 19:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Why would you import one car at a time and a Sirion from japan when so many are available from India.
May be because Bhutanese don't have to pay taxes on cars for import? At one point of time (probably still is) when Toyota was not yet heard of in India, Bhutan had lots of Toyotas plying as taxis & pick up trucks.
Old 19th April 2007, 21:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Then why are the spottings only for Toyota stable cars. Does Bhutan have a non-Toyota Filter?
Old 21st April 2007, 11:19   #21
BHPian

It is not only Toyota stable cares, I have seen in my days in Kolkata Merc, BMW, Nissan - Sunny being the favourit, but true Toyota is a favorite as someone told me there is a toyota service station in Thimpu and thats why the liking. Also apart for the Royal family the Per capita income being low they import largely low end cars.
Old 21st April 2007, 21:57   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nope, I still feel its Toyota India involved. The timing is just right, plus I dont understand why anyone would go through the trouble for a small hatch. A luxury sedan....maybe. But not for a small hatch.
Old 22nd April 2007, 00:17   #23
BHPian

Well there is news that Diahatsu might actually be entering India independently, not with Toyota. Yodendra Pratap has mentioned this himself on the overdrive forum.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2007 at 10:05. Reason: Sorry, not allowed to link to overdrive here.
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:07   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Well there is news that Diahatsu might actually be entering India independently, not with Toyota. Yodendra Pratap has mentioned this himself on the overdrive forum.
1. Daihatsu is controlled by Toyota.

2. Toyota wants to be a volume player in India.

3. Daihatsu is a relatively unknown brand in India, while Toyota is....well.

I dont see the logic in Daihatsu coming directly instead of under the Toyota brand.
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:55   #25
BHPian

Yeah i agree with you GTO, i think its much better for them to enter through Toyota. I was just mentioning hear what the editor of a popular magazine is saying because he is obviously well informed with whats happening in the market and behind it.
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:42   #26
BHPian

Daihatsu is a relatively known name for people who have tried Diesel conversions. Atleast down south here.But Daihatsu will definitely have the advantage of having the Toyota backing.

Was in Malaysia last weekend and Oh my god.. Only 2 brands of cars ruled the road.. Proton and Daihatsu...

Toyota definitely requires a volume player in the compact car segment and have been looking at the Daihatsu stables for quite some time
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Why would someone camouflage the car if its an import???
Old 6th December 2009, 13:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Had spotted these Daihatsu's on NH-2 in April 09 and had forgotten to post the pics.

They had temp WB plates. Quite a few of them going in the direction away from Kolkata.

The small car had all the badges taped.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted - Daihatsu Sirion in Kolkata. Is this Toyotas small car for India?-daihatsu1.jpg  

Spotted - Daihatsu Sirion in Kolkata. Is this Toyotas small car for India?-daihatsu2.jpg  

Spotted - Daihatsu Sirion in Kolkata. Is this Toyotas small car for India?-daihatsu3.jpg  

Spotted - Daihatsu Sirion in Kolkata. Is this Toyotas small car for India?-daihatsu4.jpg  

Old 6th December 2009, 14:44   #29
BHPian

wow wow wow!!! the TERIOS aka RUSH. I think Skoda Yeti is inspiring other manufacturers. what is the second car in night pics?

Alas!!! If only Premier Rio inspired other manufacturers for sake of poorer mango people like us :(

edit: they need to be watermarked quickly. where is dippy

Last edited by Comrade : 6th December 2009 at 14:47.
Old 6th December 2009, 15:13   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Toyota is planning expand its range of cars. After the success of Innova, Altis and Fortuner they are eyeing the hatchback segment to be a volume player.

AFAIK Toyota is developing the small car from scratch so they might be testing the engine and underpinnings in this Daihatsu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks