Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 01:01   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

DC Designs owner Dilip Chhabria arrested for cheating

According to various news sources, Dilip Chhabria has been arrested by the Crime Branch for cheating.

https://www.indiatoday.in/cities/mum...982-2020-12-28
v12 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 01:37   #2
BHPian

Re: DC Designs owner Dilip Chhabria arrested for cheating

Well, was kind of expected. There have been proceedings filed at the National Company Law Tribunal initiating CIRP process for cheque’s bounced by his company Dilip Chhabria Design Pvt. Ltd. Also his warehouse were sealed for defaulting on loans from some banks.

Last edited by ajmat : 29th December 2020 at 10:50. Reason: misspelt warehouse
PratikPatel is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 07:30   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Seems to be related to an Avanti? Picture from the same source:
DC Designs owner Dilip Chhabria arrested for cheating-screenshot-20201229-072437.png

Based on what I have heard, DC / his companies have wilfully defaulted on loans. If you can swindle banks, you most certainly can cheat individual customers.

Further details awaited. What a fall from grace for DC. At one time, his was the best known brand for visual mods in India.

Linking to his bankruptcy thread (DC Design in talks with carmakers for capital infusion. EDIT: Runs out of cash)
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 07:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

This may be slightly OT- but it brings back the age old problem of Indian business. Getting bankrupt is not a crime. Wilful default is an issue- but what are the banks doing in terms of due-diligence while piling on the loans? Why cant they scrutinise the accounts more rigourously? I feel that the banks are almost equally responsible for the eventual wilful defaults. Today's banking has suddenly leapfrogged from being a quasi-government - person-dependent to being completely a technology platform, with jazzy IT systems, thereby removing the most important element - human control. How many times have we heard this phrase from the bank officials "Sir I cant do this because of the system"?
The same system can however not signal a potential financial default.
fhdowntheline is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Look at the faded paint on that Avanti compared to the cop Sumo. Also I'm surprised he wasn't arrested for crime against cars turning average Joe cars into puke worthy contraptions for a ridiculous price.
Nithesh_M is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Look at the faded paint on that Avanti compared to the cop Sumo. Also I'm surprised he wasn't arrested for crime against cars turning average Joe cars into puke worthy contraptions for a ridiculous price.
In fact making structural changes to a car itself is illegal. I am sure many of his creations involved major changes.
Guna is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Wilful default is an issue- but what are the banks doing in terms of due-diligence while piling on the loans? Why cant they scrutinise the accounts more rigourously? I feel that the banks are almost equally responsible for the eventual wilful defaults.
Of course banks are responsible for willful defaults. More specifically, it is corrupt bank officials. We previous assumed this corruption was limited to PSU Bank employees. But after Yes Bank/DHFL & ICICI Bank/Videocon wilful default case, it looks like the rot runs a lot deeper in the banking system.
SmartCat is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 19:32   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What a thief! Damn scamster.

Quote:
Moreover, the CIU sleuths detected that multiple loans, averaging to Rs 42 lakh per vehicle, were taken on around 90 such cars by DCDPL, posing as customers for their own manufactured vehicles. Subsequently, these hypothecated cars were sold to other customers before or after availing the finance through fraudulent means, and the exact quantum of loss to the government by way of unpaid taxes, customs duties, GST, etc. is being ascertained. In this manner, the CIU suspects that the DCDPL - founded in 1993 and going bankrupt in 2018 - may have cheated many finance companies or NBFCs like BMC Financial Services.
Source

DC Designs owner Dilip Chhabria arrested for cheating-screenshot-20201229-19.31.31.png

Source

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2020 at 19:37.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 20:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

So all DC Avantis sold from 2012-2016 have the same engine and chassis number . Poor owners who must have bought one!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:33   #10
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe the issue is that DC cars especially the Avanti is registered in the name of DC as the first owner and then sold to the buyer. So the owner is always the second owner on paper. Please correct if I have missed anything.
v12 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 22:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I believe the issue is that DC cars especially the Avanti is registered in the name of DC as the first owner and then sold to the buyer. So the owner is always the second owner on paper. Please correct if I have missed anything.
Right. Essentially, he found a creative way to create ‘sales’ that would allow him to recover all his investment and pad up the balance sheet by showing all these cars as sold, when in reality they would just be sitting in the warehouse. It is also possible that he did a ‘John Delorean’ on the banks and other investors.
PratikPatel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 23:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

A classic case of the Business Owners losing Focus and venturing on to other (risky) ventures.

DC should have continued to do what it did best. i.e make custom mod jobs. Instead of foraying into trying to make and sell what "looks" like "performance supercars".
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 02:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
DC should have continued to do what it did best. i.e make custom mod jobs.
Well, I am glad this would be the end of their modifications business. It used to hurt my eye.

The latest THAR modification was

DC Designs owner Dilip Chhabria arrested for cheating-dc-thar-2.jpg
parrys is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 08:02   #14
BANNED

Used to think his designs were criminal in a metaphoric sense. Guess he was being quite literal.

Hope the twisted scalpel and vinyl coated MDF carpentry will take a break.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 11:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
So all DC Avantis sold from 2012-2016 have the same engine and chassis number . Poor owners who must have bought one!
Wondering this couldn't be possible without any Govt. officers involvement. All the cars have to go through the registration process and Engine/Chassis number have been mandatory documented in RC book. Wondering how can system allow same numbers for all the cars? Probably hand-in-glove with few in powers.

I guess some of them would have used same RTO to register the cars.

Regards
SE

Last edited by ajmat : 30th December 2020 at 11:53.
speed_edge is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks