Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2021, 12:07   #31
BHPian

re: Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled

It would be absolute folly for VW to consider Virtus a Jetta equivalent. Jetta is a vastly superior car than the Vento or than the Virtus is likely to be. VW should get their act right and position the car in the Honda city zone, where it belongs. Don't do a Toyota and pull a Vios/Yaris-like shovel to bury their 2.0 into the ground already!

Globally, even in all developing markets the Virtus sits roughly where the Vento sat. Is it a superior car and should the prices reflect it? Of course. But bear in mind that Ventos haven't remained at the same price exactly. I bought my Highline TDi 1.6 (then the top-end) for a little over 9L, not THAT long ago - and have managed to keep it largely relevant with minor timely upgrades . The TDi was already retailing at >16L when the plug was finally pulled. That's a nearly 100% price increase! And that too with all the supposed localization (almost every single part on the modern Ventos feels inferior to mine - starting from suspension to interiors).
Annibaddh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 18:46   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Virtus spied again:

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-2.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2021, 19:19   #33
BHPian

Yes, I spot two of these everyday, while going towards Dehu in Pune. I also spot the Taigun ‘comfort line’ I believe and the Seat Arona
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-221bf89e9f724680b326c8861bca82f3.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-f6b6ee4bbe2942de8859a38df4753bca.jpeg  

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-b55a9d30c8af417fb5c49963653d24dd.jpeg  

MartinVirage is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 16:59   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

New spy shots of the Virtus in India:

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-53.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-114.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-224.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 17:29   #35
BHPian

I think this, with the 1.5 TSI, will be positioned slightly above the City. At about 20L OTR.
Given the significant increase in dimensions compared to the Vento, it should have segment best space.
The Virtus/ Slavia at 14-20L on road is a good middle ground between the Vento/ Rapid twins and the Octavia. This even leaves room for a base Octavia 1.5 to come in at 22-23L OTR.
Old 27th June 2021, 20:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Looks like ideal sized car which can compete with City, Elantra and base Octavia(do we even have any other sedan ?)

This price range also seems interesting because the car would offer better space than say the Creta/Seltos and also will be cheaper than the likes of Compass/Tucson.

Looking forward to see how this works out.
Old 27th June 2021, 22:07   #37
BHPian

Looks clean in the photos. I hope it would look even better in real.

Yesterday I was on the way to Delhi and noticed a well-kept vento (at least 5-year-old, going by the registration number). I was mesmerised by how well the car is ageing, and still look much elegant and upmarket compared to Japanese and Korean rivals.
abtyagi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 07:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Niceish looks as long as one can exorcise the Jetta from the mind 😁. Good size for city as well. Interesting to see how it battles the CSUV craze.

Kudos to VAG for getting in this Slavia / Virtus.

Also, these seem to be pictures of the base variant with the dual barrel halogens. Knowing VW, they will get in eye-catching DRLs and make the front look very Euro elegant.

Last edited by vb-saan : 28th June 2021 at 10:53. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Thank you!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2021, 13:41   #39
BHPian

I have a question which arose in my mind after looking at the Kushaq review. The rear seats of Kushaq are too narrow. Is this a limitation of the MQB AO IN platform? Can we expect when the same platform is used to design a sedan, the rear seats could have better shoulder room.

I am just trying to keep the expectations right. Will it be possible for Virtus/Slavia to give City/Ciaz like rear seats or should we expect something like a Verna or smaller.
Old 18th July 2021, 08:56   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen's latest premium notchback for India spied in camouflage:

Quote:
Volkswagen Virtus is almost ready to replace the Vento in India.
It will be a longer and wider car with a swooping C-pillar which gives it a coupe-esqe styling. That said, the Virtus will launch early-2022 with its Czech cousin, the Skoda Slavia, coming in around the same time.
High End variant ( GT):
Quote:
150hp, 250Nm, 1.5-litre TSI engine along with the 110hp, 175Nm, 1.0-litre TSI engine
The 7-speed DSG will make a comeback with the 1.5-litre engine
10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment
Connected car tech
Driver fatigue monitor

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-volkswagenvitrusspyshotfrontleft16a9.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-volkswagenvitrusspyshotrightrear4d68.jpg

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-volkswagenvitrusspyshotrearright44d3-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th July 2021 at 09:00.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 11:37   #41

Isn't it strange that they are still testing the LHD variant? And does anyone else think it's kinda counterintuitive to test it without camo first, and with it later? Maybe it will look a bit different than the actual Virtus sold internationally and this car is only used to test the platform, only time will tell I guess.
Old 11th August 2021, 13:31   #42
BHPian

I have been chatting with some Skoda/VW SAs as part of my potential purchase of a Rapid or Vento. This car will definitely launch in 2022, but there appears to be a good chance it may be in the second half of 2022 as opposed to the first.

Also, while production plans of the Rapid and Vento are up in the air and uncertain, dispatches to dealerships are still happening every month (except the Rider variants of the Rapid), so even they aren't sure exactly when the plug will be pulled.

I guess until the new sedan is launched, they will keep producing Vento and Rapid, especially if uptake for the Kuhshaq and Taigun drops after a few months due to the high OTR prices of the top variants.

Last edited by navin : 11th August 2021 at 15:09.
Goldenboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Virtus for India will be unveiled in February 2022, and prices will be announced by late April 2022.

Volkswagen Virtus, now unveiled-20210818060322_volkswagen_virtus_2018-_18_.jpg

Quote:
Based on the VW group’s modular MQB A0 platform, the Virtus is considerably larger than the Vento available in India. It measures in at 4,482mm long, 1,751mm wide and 1,472mm tall, making it 92mm longer, 52mm wider and 5mm taller than the Vento. Additionally, at 2,651mm, its wheelbase is 98mm longer than the Vento’s 2,553mm.
Quote:
Ashish Gupta - Volkswagen Passenger Cars India’s Brand Director said, "We will be starting production of the car somewhere around February or March and there will be a market introduction by end of April."
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 19th August 2021 at 10:05.
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:05   #44
BHPian

Cool.

This, at least in the renders, looks well proportioned than the Vento. I hope they price it sensibly. I am sure there are people who are choosing these fake SUVs and crossovers because of lack of competent and good looking affordable sedans in the market.

Honda City has good space, comfort and looks, but the engine, IMO lacks good punch.

Vento is simply outdated. It's been too long on Indian roads now. It has good body structure, stability and driving dynamics. But the pathetic headlights (halogens) and absence of certain features which can attract few customers, like the keyless entry, start stop button, and the local favourite Sunroof can be felt. And now the 1.0 engine. Might be adequate to drive, but hey, we want more !

I hope VW corrects their headlights at least this time. C'mon guys, you've copied Jettas design in in the Vento, but failed to give the quality of engineering that the elder brother carried. I fear taking my car (Vento 1.5 TDi) out in the night just because of the headlights.

Hyundai Verna is congested for most of the folks, though has excellent noise isolation and great features, say the cooled seats.

So VW, give us good engines, good lights, a few good features, more safety equipment and price it right. I'm sure you'll see your sales numbers go up by a great margin.
saisailendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 11:14   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisailendra View Post
This, at least in the renders, looks well proportioned than the Vento.
This is not a render, but the Virtus (Vento replacement) from Brazil.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks