Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2020, 18:16   #1
BHPian

CKD cars: How old is too old for the CKD kit?

Guys, I need some urgent help. Just minutes before booking my bimmer car, I found that the Car has CKD mfg date of Jan,20 on a dealer invoice/delivery date of Nov, 20. I was okay for going for a 2020 car that is 5-6 month old but not that is manufactured 1 year ago. As per dealer, this is quite the norm for CKD cars where imported kits may be lying in factory for some time before being sent to assembly.

Is this normal? Should this give me a pause or no reason to worry? I have put the booking on hold but will need to decide soon. Please advise.
CosmicWizard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 22:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: CKD cars: How old is too old for the CKD kit?

Need more info. Which model and variant? Is it a rare exterior/interior combination? Is the dealer offering any extra discounts above and beyond that normal ones?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2020, 23:08   #3
BHPian

It is X3 petrol, blue/beige combination which I believe is not rare. There are other X3 models with same discount with the dealer which are also Nov/Dec dealer invoice/delivery date but with more recent mfg date of July, 20 but in white color that my wife is dead against :(

It seems this is a ckd kit that didn't get assembled in time due to the lock down. Wondering if that should be an issue. Mfg year is still 2020 but RC book will also show Jan as the mfg date.
Old 31st December 2020, 23:21   #4
BHPian

Yes, it could be normal for a CKD unit. Check the mfg date of tyres as another variable (in case tyres are sourced locally for the variant in question)
salilpawar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 07:00   #5
BHPian

I don't think that should be a problem. I own a 2013 Mercedes C200, and when I decoded the VIN, the website displayed two dates, one date of packing and another date of release. Even my engine has a sticker that indicates the same thing.
This is the website I used:

https://www.vindecoderz.com/

The sticker on my engine bay:
CKD cars: How old is too old for the CKD kit?-img20210101wa0000.jpg
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 07:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Yes, it could be normal for a CKD unit. Check the mfg date of tyres as another variable (in case tyres are sourced locally for the variant in question)
I had asked about the tyre mfg date also and dealer said that those too are imported and is normal to have several months older from the kit assembly time. As an example, he showed me a newly launched 2 series gran coupe but with tyres from Feb, 20.

Dealer has been quite transparent and did show me documents indicating delivery from factory in November only so I do believe that assembly time is not that old. It's just that mfg date is Jan,20 (which I believe is ckd kit mfg date in Germany) and I am not sure if that makes it too old for a new car.
Old 1st January 2021, 08:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If the car doesn't have any suspect history (such as transit damage or any other problems), you have nothing to worry about age. Of course, all things being equal, it's better to get a fresh stock.

White is also a fabulous colour, somewhat common, but will age a lot better than darker colours. There is no way a white X3 will give any taxi vibes if that's what your wife is concerned about. Blue is probably the second most common colour for BMW India I think.

BMW has decent choice when it comes to interior colour options compared to MB's beige and black. I would look for something other than the common beige and black if I am buying a BMW. I consider this a big plus compared to MB.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 09:11   #8
BHPian

Thanks a ton guys. Feeling lot more better about it now.

One question: does a car get all the fluids (engine oil etc) after CKD assembly or at the time of manufacture? If it is latter, then shall I insist on a free oil change before delivery? I saw in some other BHP thread where this was being recommended for an older mfg date car but does it apply to older CKD kit mfg date too?
Old 1st January 2021, 09:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

If you are deciding to go ahead with the car in subject, then suggest to squeeze and get more discounts stating that its 1 year old car.

Dealer may be finding it difficult to get a customer for this piece.
Old 1st January 2021, 09:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Thanks a ton guys. Feeling lot more better about it now.

One question: does a car get all the fluids (engine oil etc) after CKD assembly or at the time of manufacture? If it is latter, then shall I insist on a free oil change before delivery? I saw in some other BHP thread where this was being recommended for an older mfg date car but does it apply to older CKD kit mfg date too?
As far as I know, the engines and transmissions are shipped in crates as dry units, I.e. without any fluids. At the time of assembly, fluids are filled on the assembly line.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 15:39   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: CKD cars: How old is too old for the CKD kit?

Between the CKD kit's month and the actual car assembly month, I have usually seen a 2 - 6 month difference. The only plausible reason I can think of for this one is Covid. With factory shutdowns and then phased opening, some old kits might still be around, unutilized.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 17:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I need some urgent help. Is this normal? Please advise.
Hi CosmicWizard,

I was in same boat too.

When I booked my X3 petrol (Blue/Beige) in Oct 2018, I got the car with production date of March 2018. That is when X3 was not even launched in India. I was told this model is a slow selling car (being petrol). And no new production car will be available till next year. Only one piece was left with my color combination (I was given choice by the dealer of 4 X3 Petrol that was available at Chennai plant that time). So, I picked it up as per my choice.

In your case, Covid lockdown is the culprit.

Go ahead with peace of mind.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 20:41   #13
BHPian

Forgive my ignorance but what does Complete Knock Down really mean? Does it mean parts for a single car are in a box, imported into India and put together in a factory when it is time to sell? Or does it mean the importer gets parts for say a hundred cars and assembles them over say a year as they sell the cars?

Most mass manufacturers don't really build cars from scratch. They are integrators who get parts from their tier-1,2 suppliers and basically assemble the car. So, what is the level of assembly required for a CKD kit vs one built in a factory? Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can explain.
Old 4th January 2021, 15:15   #14
BHPian

Okay, some more confusion on this: I was talking to the other dealer and he says that he is out of 2020 stock but can get be 2021 mfg car in Jan month itself. Now I am left wondering, if mfg date is indeed CKD mfg date in Germany, how on earth can he get me a 2021 mfg CKD kit manufactured, shipped, assembled, delivered all in just one month?? When I asked, he says mfg date is assigned at assembly, total opposite to what the other dealer claims that it is on the kit mfg!!

Any ideas?
Old 4th January 2021, 15:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, some more confusion on this: I was talking to the other dealer and he says that he is out of 2020 stock but can get be 2021 mfg car in Jan month itself.
Complete rubbish from this other dealer!

The CKD date is usually at least 2 months before the assembly date in India. For example, my G20 330i Sport was CKD-made at Munich in end-September 2019 but assembled (code "S9C2 - CKD Installation India") in India end-January 2020. My RC shows January 2020.

There is no way he can get you January 2021 CKD stock unless BMW is now airlifting them on priority basis :-).

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th January 2021 at 15:45.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed