Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 20:49   #106
BHPian

Re: Ford - Mahindra call off their engagement; no JV happening!

I think with how Mahindra handled SsangYong and especially how the trail has been rocky for them in US, Ford decided to go solo. Ford is actually not doing bad when compared with GM or other companies, slowly and steadily they have learned how the Indian Auto market works.
I hope they bring in more products to India which caters to needs of almost all buyers. I am rooting for the F150's and Bronco to name a few.
Old 26th March 2021, 22:18   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
Will it be wrong if I say Mahindra ditched Ford after getting their help for sorting the dynamics of new xuv. They did the something similar with ssangyong.

Seems that Ford guys started packing the bags in January and now on the way to airport
But I somehow have the same feeling, though it would be unfair to put allegations without knowing the whole matter. The track record of Mahindra although in some way favours this argument considering they never got the ride and handling balance spot on even in their monocoque vehicles (except the now dead verito).
Old 27th March 2021, 09:32   #108
BHPian

Wonder why Ford is not setting up local manufacture of 1.5L Ecoblue Diesel Engine. That would be the best diesel vs. the current archaic 1.5 Diesel they have got, that is no match on power or Torque to Hyundai diesels.

They do have the Ecoblue diesel in the 2L avatar in the Ford Endeavour. They just need a 1.5 Diesel and a launch in the Creta/Seltos segment
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 10:09   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Good that mediocrity and jugaad didn’t get inside a Ford bonnet. Better late than never kind of decision.

However I’m skeptical of assuming this to be a great positive sign for Ford India’s future.

There’ll surely be some heavily numbers crunching going on to justify their future plans.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 11:58   #110
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sort of worried, guys. I'll put Ford's chances of exiting India at 50 - 60%. Don't think they will do a complete exit like GM because Ford has earlier subtly indicated (via their Mahindra JV) that they would like to maintain a foot in the door (keeping future Indian prospects in mind).

But Ford HQ @ USA has demonstrated that it will not tolerate any money-sucking businesses. Heck, they completely abandoned the hatchback & sedan market there, to focus only on profitable SUVs, trucks, crossovers & the Mustang. Ford has already exited markets where it had no future.

The company has been around for 20+ years in India and has little to show for it. Competition is also getting fiercer with new entrants like Kia, resurgent players like Tata and stalwarts like Maruti + Hyundai fighting tooth & nail for every sale.

Over & above, the future of electric cars requires huge investments. Can Ford ask USA HQ for big investments after losing money for a majority of its time in India? No way.
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 12:18   #111
BHPian

As an owner of a Fiesta and Figo, I so much want. Ford to stay. No other manufacturer offers European driving dynamics with a maintaince cost lesser than that of Koreans. Though have bought a Skoda now, but I for one would always purchase a Ford if they offer a vehicle in the segment I am looking for.
Zodak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 15:08   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sort of worried, guys. I'll put Ford's chances of exiting India at 50 - 60%. Don't think they will do a complete exit like GM because Ford has earlier subtly indicated (via their Mahindra JV) that they would like to maintain a foot in the door (keeping future Indian prospects in mind).

But Ford HQ @ USA has demonstrated that it will not tolerate any money-sucking businesses. Heck, they completely abandoned the hatchback & sedan market there, to focus only on profitable SUVs, trucks, crossovers & the Mustang. Ford has already exited markets where it had no future.

The company has been around for 20+ years in India and has little to show for it. Competition is also getting fiercer with new entrants like Kia, resurgent players like Tata and stalwarts like Maruti + Hyundai fighting tooth & nail for every sale.

Over & above, the future of electric cars requires huge investments. Can Ford ask USA HQ for big investments after losing money for a majority of its time in India? No way.
True! This timeline for the upcoming SUVs is too long too. Nowadays product developments and end product results should take less time considering the ever changing trends and dynamic market. Also, by the time these "NEW" products (if at all) will land up here they'll face serious competition from mass market and mature EVs (by 2024) and not to mention the Korean, Indian and German manufacturers will be standing there prepared for the fight.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 15:11   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
:The track record of Mahindra although in some way favours this argument considering they never got the ride and handling balance spot on even in their monocoque vehicles (except the now dead verito).
Ha, that because the Verito was a Renault Logan lol
ZenMaster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 15:16   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Ha, that because the Verito was a Renault Logan lol
Yup, a reworked one though.
Old 27th March 2021, 17:10   #115
BHPian

But the question is can Ford India survive till then. Endeavour is not in volume segment and ecosport is facing unprecedented competition. Figo twins don't sell. They should bring the Territory as quickly as they can.

The whole JV with Mahindra is a failure it seems. A lesson for the future.
Old 27th March 2021, 17:30   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sort of worried, guys. I'll put Ford's chances of exiting India at 50 - 60%.
+1

Against my wishes, I would bet for Ford exiting India. As per reports, they have stopped all work on the new models (until they find suitable drivetrain that is). This in itself sounds ominous to me as it would entail a lot of direct investments, that too for an unsuccessful market (for Ford).

I wish to be proven wrong.

I had similar thought for Nissan and Renault but they're are bouncing back. So there's hope.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 01:53   #117
BHPian

Came across this article on GaadiWaadi that says Ford will not use Mahindra engines.

Ford India Will Not Use Mahindra Engines For Its Future Products – Report

My opinion after reading this article -

Positives - It seems Ford is looking to upgrade more of its powertrain options for Indian market's norms. This is good move from quality perspective and can also translate in long run to more of their global products making way to India.

Negatives - Ford looks to be still not sure about staying in Indian market. I think they do see the potential but they are not having the free hand to make the necessary decisions and investment for Indian market.
Old 28th March 2021, 08:06   #118
Senior - BHPian

The issue with Ford is that they are now all alone! Kia has support of Hyundai, Citroen and Jeep can potentially work together, VW has Skoda and even Audi to show for, MG has the backing of a Chinese conglomerate, Nissan and Renault save money by using the same platforms and engines, and lastly Toyota can get away with rebadging Suzukis.
Apart from the truly big 4, Suzuki, Hyundai, Tata and Mahindra, all other manufacturers have had some support system in India. Ford needed that and hence the proposed partnership with Mahindra. Once this deal was scrapped, Ford existing in India all alone needs huge investments and seeing the way the Ford HQ in the US take decisions on non-performing markets, there is absolutely no reason for Ford to exist in India.

And its not just in India, Ford seems to be losing ground in most markets and they are now focused only in their home market, USA.

For them to survive in India, they need to get a huge investment signed off, and also outsource certain engines. If Tata can source a Hyundai gearbox and a Fiat engine, how difficult it would be for Ford to get 1 or 2 turbo petrol engines, now that everyone is making them? I think the engine outsourcing is the secondary part, maybe not that difficult. The first part is the decision to invest on new products.
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 09:46   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford seems to have taken a page from GM and started to rebadge /(re-engineer) models from their Chinese partners. Atleast in the LHD developing markets this looks like the future. How it turns out in the future has to be seen after the initial run wears off.

Luckily unlike the rumoured XUV500 rival (Yusheng S330), the BX772 and BX744 have been undergoing development for sometime now and pray Ford doesn't pull the plug in it in the last moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The issue with Ford is that they are now all alone!

For them to survive in India, they need to get a huge investment signed off, and also outsource certain engines. ....now that everyone is making them? I think the engine outsourcing is the secondary part, maybe not that difficult. The first part is the decision to invest on new products.
Can understand Ford not using their Ford Europe models. Design wise they may not suit our tastes as well being cost prohibitive. Reason why the BX772, BX744 are being developed.

But engines? The Dragon 1.5l petrol would do fine both for the sub 4m model as well as the Creta rival. An Ecoboost GDI turbo petrol variant of the same could be offered as well. And high time, Ford should bring their Ecoblue diesels here instead of flogging the old DV5 engine. There is a 1.5l diesel with multiple power outputs, in both manual and automatic. There is a 2.0l diesel with multiple outputs and manual and automatic. And they are Euro 6 as well.

True, India has not been kind to the 2nd gen Figo twins. But to be frank, Ford deserves blame for just sitting on the Ecosport. It is still selling more than some brand new competition, yet no next generation so far, or anything is there to upgrade for existing customers.
DicKy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 10:27   #120
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I'm happy Ford is out of the deal with Mahindra. Mahindra has a reputation of buying and ruining companies. Granted they weren't buying FORD but it's really hard for me to imagine a Ford car with a Mahindra engine. Sounds like a Frankenstein monster I personally don't want to meet. And something that should not exist in the real world. I hope Ford gets their shit together.

Few people realise it's the only company which provides a European/American driving experience at a low cost of ownership.

I have a weakness for Ford. Chevrolet is already dead in India, I hope reality is kind enough to Ford for it to survive.
If Ford India folds, there will be no American Automotive company in India. And that will be a sad sad day...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks