Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 07:24   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors posts a Tata Safari video - What's at play here!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I hope it is the former since the Safari was never a well engineered or robust product.
Having owned and driven a 2008 2.2L DICOR I can definitely say it was well engineered and robust for that era and it was not the only SUV around. Although the Storme's looks were not to my liking it is still used by the Indian Army which stands testimony to its engineering.

Quote:
And how many of us will today buy a ~35L Safari over a Fortuner or an Endeavor??
After I sold mine the only reason I did not buy a Fortuner/ Endeavour is precisely because I did not find those products to be of a better value proposition.

Quote:
So yeah, the old Safari is best buried. A new Safari will not sell.
I agree with the first statement. I disagree with the second as a well engineered SUV will sell and the connect with the Safari branding will definitely help bring more people to the showrooms. That is why automakers all over the world continue to use the same name over generations of products which are vastly different from the original. While I love the Hexa for the refinement it brought to the X2 platform the looks just did not appeal to me. If the Hexa looked like the H7X I would have definitely put my money on the table whatever it was called. Calling it Safari would have been the icing on the cake.

Last edited by nainan : 6th January 2021 at 07:25.
nainan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 08:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

TML stood by the Safari for two decades despite the minuscule sales, no mean feat in a very fickle industry. If the manufacturer did not care, winding up the Safari would have been the easiest option. It would have made no difference to the bottom line.
Rather than their love for Safari enthusiasts, it would have been more due to the fact that the Armed forces chose the Safari to be the replacement for their aging fleet of Sumos and Gypsies. They probably had to keep the line running until their contract with the Indian Army was completed.
Old 6th January 2021, 10:21   #33
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I saw the video on LinkedIn. It seemed like a "my pet passed away, I miss him/her" message or just some plain marketing gimmick. I remember Hexa XMA 4x4 being reported here sometime back, hope they are doing the impossible this time (AT + 4x4) with either Hexa, Gravitas or an updated Harrier (wouldn't mind either, fantastic vehicles). But I fail to understood that why Tata is so afraid of automatic gearboxes. They did a wonderful job with both Hexa and Harrier.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 11:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

They could have branded Gravitas as Safari. Rear part of the side view does remind us of Safari due to that raised roofline. Used to be my dream childhood car
rajshenoy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Let the Safari rest in peace!

It's funny when people who have never driven/been in one, let alone own it start calling it names.

I am no expert, but I have the experience of actually owning Safaris and driving them lakhs of km. They are well engineered, robust, extremely reliable and totally worth the price. I definitely don't agree those accusations if made on Dicor 2.2 and later versions of the great car.

Why safari did not sell is a totally different area of discussion.

It did not sell, and it had its flaws

1. Too big to drive in urban areas. Dicor and previous generations had a whopping 6 m turning radius

2. Not a good handler and it's a boat if you are coming from a hatchback/sedan

3. It was not very fuel efficient, when compared to market favourite so called "SUVs" like the Creta and Ecosports. It never returned above 12 kmpl

4. It was too heavy and you feel it while you drive one. Storme is much nicer to drive though.

5. It wasn't necessarily cheap. It essentially was a 5 seater spacious, comfortable SUV which sold for 27 lakhs (2wd) and 19 lakhs (4wd). People rather bought the duster, which is also comfortable and can seat 5, plus it was cheap to run and easy to drive.

6. There is always a myth (even with "enthusiasts") that Safari is expensive to maintain and about its reliability.

Safari was special to Tata, it always had that pedestal in every showroom.

As much as it was special to Tata, it is and will always be a special car for lakhs of enthusiasts who were bought before 2000.

Does it make any sense in today's market? Nopes, only true blue safari fanatics will spend on it. And we are a very small % of the population to justify the model to be on production.

Will I be happy if some other car rolled out of the factory with the "safari" nameplate? Definitely not!

IMO it's irreplaceable!

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th January 2021 at 12:25.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:35   #36
BHPian

Guess what next Safari will be

Tata Motors posts a Tata Safari video - What's at play here!?-screenshot_20210106_123303.jpg

Source
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:36   #37
BHPian

Well this came as a surprise alright! Tata are indeed launching Gravitas as Safari! Shirish Chandran has just tweeted confirming the same!

Source : https://twitter.com/SirishChandran/s...748394501?s=19

Seems like a last minute strategy decision.
Familyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:39   #38
BHPian

So the Gravitas is going to be renamed and launched as the SAFARI. All the latest Safari videos make sense now.

Safari nameplate deserves a 4x4 version. Now that they confirmed that the platform can be adapted for a 4x4 as well as electrification, TML should bring the 4x4 version sooner, than later and not delay it forever like their other launches.

Last edited by klgiridhar : 6th January 2021 at 12:46.
klgiridhar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:40   #39

Just Got this over WhatsApp, Gravitas seems to be getting launched as the New Safari.

Tata Motors posts a Tata Safari video - What's at play here!?-img20210106wa0001.jpg
speedem0n is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:40   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Something tells me Gravitas aka Safari will also have the same fate of Safari when it comes to sales numbers.

Fingers crossed
PrasannaDhana is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:42   #41
BHPian

If they give it the much desired 4x4 and 7 seater variant and price not much high above Harrier may be in 20 - 25 lakh INR range then it may be a compelling product unless people are reluctant to spend 25 lakhs on a Tata. But it surely will be a very safe and well built car indeed.

Last edited by haisaikat : 6th January 2021 at 12:43.
haisaikat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Now confirmed. Safari is back.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors posts a Tata Safari video - What's at play here!?-screenshot_2021010612425549.jpg  

tushky is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed the Gravitas getting launched as Safari. I am happy that the Safari nameplate is back.

source - https://twitter.com/TataMotors_Cars/...15495983009792
source - https://twitter.com/autocarindiamag/...14134998466566
safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:45   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Something tells me Gravitas aka Safari will also have the same fate of Safari when it comes to sales numbers.

Fingers crossed
You're mostly going to be proven right. Gravitas looks lost before launch itself!

But - rebranding it the 'Safari' is probably the best last-minute decision they could have taken. Already the original, iconic #reclaimyourlife jingle is playing in my head.

Also glad to see them backtracking on a stupid decision taken during the last expo - to make the Safari a generic 'edition' moniker on other cars like the Hexa.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:50   #45
BHPian

Tata is launching the new Gravitas; Beg your pardon, it is launching the all new Tata Safari
Gixxy.danger is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks