Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 19:01   #121
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors posts a Tata Safari video - What's at play here!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh101 View Post
The shame is in shamelessly doing this last minute.

If they had promised and created a buzz about the Safari like they were doing with the Gravitas like- "Look, folks, it's going to be a monocoque and it's going to be based on the Harrier, but we're confident in the platform and we're going to give you a modernized, refined, reliable Safari soon with optional Land Rover-derived AWD", I'd have lauded their efforts. I'd have been excited for it. I'd probably have considered shortlisting it as an upgrade to my 2008 Scorpio 2.6 CRDe.

Completely agree. Anybody with even passing interest in cars was aware of this upcoming launch and the original name of the car. This desperate last minute change is what leaves a bad taste. I wonder how many people will make a decision about buying a 20-25 lakh car based on the name alone?
CarCynic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:29   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post

There's no chance any Monocoque can ever do the things that a Ladder on Frame 4x4 can.
Just wanted to post this video by Carwow of the New LR Defender v Old Defender. You'd be surprised what the new one is capable of. The monocoque car does everything that the old one could do and more.

nikhilthegunner is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:32   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post

There's no chance any Monocoque can ever do the things that a Ladder on Frame 4x4 can.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=_p-P2bq3wjQ
I rest my case...

Last edited by BlackPearl : 6th January 2021 at 22:58. Reason: Broken URL tag. Thanks
ajaiD is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 19:35   #124
BHPian

What's in a name really , Now you Say!!

Though the move is indeed surprising at the last moment!

but, the last Safari was the "The Storme" to many of us enthusiasts. The Safari name was lying unclaimed and suits the new 7 seater SUV quite well, I feel.

And changing a name does help TATA sometimes. (remember "Zica -> Tiago")

TATA must give it all it has while they still can .

Best Wishes against Mahindra / Kia / Hyundai / MG / Jeep !

They still have a legendary name in their Kity.. "The Sierra" or have they lost it to the little Jimny?
Moto$apien is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:23   #125
BHPian

Just got this mailer from Tata Motors and seems to show the way ahead. I for one cannot wait!

You Tube link and picture below

Tata Motors posts a Tata Safari video - What's at play here!?-20210106_202044.jpg

Last edited by PGNarain : 6th January 2021 at 20:25.
PGNarain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:30   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by museycal View Post
If branding the car in question as "Safari" results in sustained decent sales run for TAMO (maybe 800 - 1200 units per month over Harrier sales), there is nothing wrong with this re-branding. Looking at it this way, the new Safari will bring tangible additions of increased seating capacity over Harrier, which in its second avatar, is more sorted vehicle as per the review and ownership reports.
Amazing view of the situation! I personally believe the Safari brand excitement could have been built over a period of time and not just a few weeks in advance. I, one among the majority, wouldn't think much of AWD or 4x4 as critical requirements. Given a chance, I would be happy buying the Gravitas with a Safari badge now!
And as announced, AWD is on the cards! So, all good !!
balajisv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:32   #127
Senior - BHPian

I'm glad it's called Safari. The name Gravitas sounded too Latin American and frankly, a little strange.
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:33   #128
BHPian

Good to see the name being revived. However, the Harrier does not have the ride quality that Safari was known for. As a Safari fan I would have liked them to use the name on something more comfortable like the Hexa.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:35   #129
Senior - BHPian

I believe the AWD (as @GTO as posted here) will be the Gravitas "Safari" variant. Also, the "Safari" badge will live on as AWD variant on future Tata 7-seater offerings IMO.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 20:36   #130
BHPian

This is a great marketing move by TATA. If you have a good brand and you are launching your top of the line product, why not use it ?

There are many who have booked a Thar and waiting for next 8-10 months for delivery. Those frustrated with the wait will definitely look at Safari and take a test drive.

Just one friendly advice to TATA. Take your own time but launch it at an accessible introductory price, free of niggles and with auto-box and 4X4 and multiple variants for the customer to choose from. And based on the sales charts, cut down on the variants and increase price marginally. By seeing KIA's sales success, your marketing team should have already figured this by now.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 21:41   #131
Senior - BHPian

I am happy the Brand is back. Hopefully the car lives up to it.

If it does, I may even think of relocating back to India to own one. (Too much I know)
Old 6th January 2021, 22:16   #132
Senior - BHPian

I see many puritans up in arms over use of Safari name on Gravitas. They may not be wrong but how many outside teambhp have even heard of the name Gravitas. So, members of general public won't be in as much of a shock as many here are. Do I like it? Hell, yeah! For 2 reasons. One, good bye to that aweful sounding name Gravitas(sounds sooo dumb). And, two, bringing back of the famed Safari brand.

Hope this time around, the name Safari sees success it deserves. It may be a bit removed from its original ethos but it still is a full-size 7-seater SUV and if it makes better business sense for TAMO to milk that brand-name to further its business interests, then so be it. What's wrong in it? After all, it's all just numbers game; who sells how many.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 05:49   #133
BHPian

What an irony!

In the last phase of Safari, in order to promote sale of Hexa, Safari was removed from the print media ad and also from the showroom even though it was existed on the official web page.

Now they are using legacy of the Safari to promote Gravitas.
IP_Man is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 06:44   #134
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Let's continue the discussion in the Gravitas-Safari thread. Thread closed.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks