Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 12:55   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?

By now with plenty of examples with side by side pictures - Panel by Panel they do not match, so they look similar in silhouette perhaps and therefore being called a rip off because it reminds us of another vehicle.

When the latest Honda city pulled up next to me in a traffic signal in the rain, I thought it was a Ciaz at first, but of course its not. Likewise the 2008\9 City`s tail section reminded us of a certain BMW but that does not make it a rip off in my opinion.

It is true that manufacturers are trying to include certain design elements from other brands or other vehicles - By now most of the manufacturers are into the TRAPEZOID phase, every grille, center console etc are coming in this shape for reasons best known to them, hopefully tires remain round.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:03   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajmore03 View Post
Honda Jazz tail light inspired from Volvo XC60s.
Maruti Suzuki: Challenge accepted

Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-marutiwagonrbootlid.jpg

The new Wagon-R and Ertiga tail lamps, inspired by Volvo
aravind.anand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 13:19   #48
BHPian

Many of the designs mentioned in threads are not ripoffs or copies, as also mentioned by some members, but more like "Inspirations" or "Following trends/tastes" to provide better User Experience. So whenever you start designing new model, you always look for clues, trends, culture etc. around you. Moreover, due to so many different brands and models, we are now saturated with maximum uniqueness in design so we see more and more similar designs than unique ones.

If we apply this logic to bicycles then most of bicycles can be considered copy-cats.

Top most 50 car manufacturing brands are now controlled by just 10 big groups, so they do share platform, technology, designs, teams etc. to leverage costs, even-though average people may not be knowing about it.

But yes, very interesting thread to find which car got inspiration from which one. Thanks for sharing it.
arzala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 14:03   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedguy View Post
On top of this, it is Team-BHP car of the year. Just let that sink in! I was expecting this community to strongly oppose this blatant copy-paste, but it proved to be otherwise.
Agree!

And that's the only reason I did not vote for the Thar. They did a nice job making the car safe and fun to drive. But it's a shame that a blatant copy job got the car of the car award of this prestigious forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Isn't it wonderful that the top three contenders are Indian cars? And topped with top notch safety rating. Kudos to Tata and Mahindra for upping their game.

But then I have to find fault with Mahindra for copying the design from Jeep. I know they had a license from Jeep to manufacture an old version of an old model, but that does not mean that they should copy every new version of the car.

Shame on you Mahindra!

Hence my choice is the Tata Altroz.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:09   #50
BHPian

Brilliant thread!! This is by and large an Asian problem. Having worked with various nationalities I have come to the conclusion that it comes down to society/culture etc. Asian culture is largely group based system. Values of the group are more important than individualism. This prevents people to take risks and are afraid of group ridicule and being shunned by others.
The Western mindset is totally opposite and really cares a damn for what the group/society etc thinks. That mentality allows for fertile imagination and hence unique products.
The Japanese have now understood this and are making amends. The below pictures show how the first lexus was a blatant S-class copy but the current one has moved so far ahead and stands as a unique product.
Attached Thumbnails
Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-27firstgenerationls.jpg  

Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-1992_mercedesbenz_300_se_w_140_sedan_20100719.jpg  

Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-lexuslsfirstandfifth696x416.jpg  

car love is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:38   #51
BHPian

Totally pertinent thread! So glad these juxtapositions are in one place now, on Team BHP! I have always found the Japanese and Koreans to be the worst offenders in this department (I'm looking at you, Toyota and Hyundai!), but Suzuki hasn't been left behind either in taking more than just a pinch of inspiration from European counterparts, as fellow members here have amply illustrated. Speaking of Suzuki, is it just my sub-20/20 vision or does anyone else also see more than just a hint of the BMW F30 in the headlights of the second generation Ertiga?

Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-f30ertiga.jpg
BackstraightBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 16:53   #52
BHPian

Another gem: the frontal styling of the new Hyundai i20 looking suspiciously close to that of the Audi RS6 Avant, especially that gargantuan grille:

Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-avantversusi20.jpg
BackstraightBoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 19:24   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
The below pictures show how the first lexus was a blatant S-class copy but the current one has moved so far ahead and stands as a unique product.
Sorry, but how was the LS400 a blatant S Class copy? They don't look alike from any angle. Could you please clarify?
Old 7th January 2021, 19:41   #54
BHPian

While some resemblances mentioned above are uncanny, I don't agree that the Marazzo desrves a spot here. There's only so much the designer can do on a van if he/she's trying to maximize cabin space - stubby nose, sloping windshield and wheels pushed to the corners. Other than that, it doesn't look like any of the finer exterior design elements resembled that of the previous gen Innova.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:01   #55
BHPian

Another one where the front looks very similar. Not sure who copied whom.
2021 Chevy Trailblazer Vs MG Hector Vs Tata Harrier
Attached Thumbnails
Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-2021chevytrailblazer.jpg  

Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-mghector.jpg  

Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-tataharrier.jpg  

chhotagujju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 01:17   #56
BHPian

Does it look similar only for me ? What are your opinions? The bonnet and headlights of Porsche Panamera and Maruti Dzire
Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-df21bc547f284b01a8a496a422405022.jpeg

Name:  C6B63435EAD1405CBCB116335279B567.png
Views: 2260
Size:  262.5 KB

I have mistaken the Maruti S cross for GLC 43 AMG many a time when it’s approaching from a distance. The DRLs and the famous Panamericana grill
Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-dddfcbca11884de38c6274130ee03fe3.jpeg
Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-d2677f7a99224252b546e4088e4c3b1b.jpeg

Pretty sure Hyundai designers haven’t scratched their head while designing front end of Tucson
Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-66396e907d2e489b8d6bd69c521b3533.jpeg

Image source : Google
Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-958dc349691745f8915e9a27b5c0b36f.jpeg
Vasanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 01:28   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Brilliant thread!!
. The below pictures show how the first lexus was a blatant S-class copy but the current one has moved so far ahead and stands as a unique product.
Disagree with your observations. The Lexus LS 400 was launched in 1989, two years before the Mercedes W 140 S class came to market and therefore LS 400 was not a inspiration/copy of W140 Mercedes S class
FrozeninTime is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 08:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Disagree with your observations. The Lexus LS 400 was launched in 1989, two years before the Mercedes W 140 S class came to market and therefore LS 400 was not a inspiration/copy of W140 Mercedes S class
You are right about the time line but those days Mercedes cars used to be in development much longer than currently and this was the view of very many people back in the day..
car love is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 09:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

The Kazwa (which didn't make it to the market) was a rip-off of the 1984 Renault Espace!
Attached Thumbnails
Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-anand123teambhp-1.jpg  

Design rip-offs in India : Copycats or Inspired?-anand123teambhp-2.jpg  

Anand123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 22:03   #60

Quote:
Ciaz's tail lamp profile to that of City's is one such case that I can think of
I remember noticing the similarity in rear lamp profile of the then newly launched Ciaz and City.
But both were launch in 2014 and considering that a typical new vehicle development takes atleast 2-3 years, its impossible that either one of them copied it from each other.
Or its a case of corporate espionage..which company would take such a risk for a tail light?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks