Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2021, 18:55   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AT coming! Could be torque-converter AT

The safest car of India XUV300 finally is going to be launched with Auto box for the petrol version. Diesel engine mated with 6 speed AMT is available however petrol engine is expected to get 6 speed TC unit.

Quote:
However, with competitors offering more and more transmission options with their offerings in the sub-compact SUV segment, Mahindra does not want to be left behind. The homegrown carmaker is now finally set to introduce an optional automatic gearbox for the 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine. We expect the transmission to be a 6-speed torque converter unit.
Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AT coming! Could be torque-converter AT-mahindraxuv300offeredwitharangeofaccessoriesdetails51068x672.jpg

Link
Deadpool is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 00:10   #2
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AT coming! Could be torque-converter AT

First thought, no plans for TC in Diesel though? However, still a good news , I am guessing upcoming Marazzo Petrol will follow the same.
Vijin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 06:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think the car deserves a higher capacity engine, at least 1500cc and also a 4+m body. It would have given tough competition to the Koreans had it been done earlier.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 08:19   #4
BHPian

Very late Mahindra.

If there is a person known to me scolding Mahindra to a mouthful, it will be my Father In law. We were in search of a car for him last September and XUV3OO was his choice for a long time. Due to his age and usage we wanted a Petrol AT and this was not available then and we settled with the next best choice Jazz ZX CVT.

Bring it on, he will be ready to trade in his 3 months old Jazz for this.
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 10:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I think the car deserves a higher capacity engine, at least 1500cc and also a 4+m body. It would have given tough competition to the Koreans had it been done earlier.
The Koreans use 1.0 Turbo as against the 1.2 Turbo in the Mahindra. No 1.5 NA or existing 1.0/1.2 Turbo options in the segment can match up to the 200Nm of torque the petrol XUV 3OO produces. It is also among one of the most powerful in the segment with 110 BHP.

As the Team Bhp review mentions - the petrol motor is "damn good".
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 10:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AT coming! Could be torque-converter AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The Koreans use 1.0 Turbo as against the 1.2 Turbo in the Mahindra.
I think he is referring to the bigger Korean twins - Creta and Seltos. And I agree. Instead of chopping it to size, Mahindra should have retained the original car and pitted it against the Creta. They already have good engines in the arsenal. A slightly revamped interior and torque convertor transmission options, would have been enough to make it a strong competitor in the 4m+ segment.

Mahindra isn't too late to the party. They should give it a shot and launch the 4m+ version within the next year, maybe as XUV400. Retain the XUV300 if they will. If Hyundai can launch a 7 seater Creta with similar looks, why can't Mahindra have two variants of this XUV!

Last edited by ashis89 : 6th January 2021 at 11:00.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 11:13   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Awesome news if it is indeed a torque converter. The XUV300 is a properly premium crossover, and a jerky AMT simply doesn't suit its positioning or personality. Just wish this was made available at launch - why I think so (Why it's important to offer the right engines + AT gearboxes + variants at the time of launch).

Trivia: the reason we have so many Petrol ATs with proper automatics, and not Diesel ATs, is because the world over (including most parts of Asia), small cars see an overwhelming majority of sales with a petrol engine. In countries that prefer ATs, manufacturers have invested the effort & moolah to engineer torque-converters, CVTs and dual-clutch transmissions for these petrols as the demand was there. The Indian arm simply picks them up and sells them here with minimal effort. However, diesel as a fuel is popular in just a handful of countries (large markets like USA, China, Japan etc. shun diesels). Thus, no MNC bothered with a Diesel AT abroad and if we saw Diesel ATs in the mass-market here, they were all local efforts = lousy AMTs, surprisingly good jugaads (e.g. Honda & VW mating a petrol's AT gearbox to their diesels), solid commitment (Hyundai-Kia offering amazing Diesel ATs in everything from the Sonet to the Verna) or borrowed gearboxes (e.g. Harrier Diesel AT sourced from Hyundai).
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 14:58   #8
AZT
BHPian

I love the XUV 300 and used to recommend it over the Nexon but doing multiple Goa and Mahableshwar road trips over the past month made me realize I could never make do with a small boot. All trips had 4 people with one or two laptop bags so I know the bare minimum space I would need.

A well priced Nexon AT would definitely light this segment up.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:54   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Awesome news if it is indeed a torque converter. The XUV300 is a properly premium crossover, and a jerky AMT simply doesn't suit its positioning or personality. Just wish this was made available at launch
Welcome to 2021 Mahindra where it took you 2 years to realise what 2 folks from Team-BHP who came down to Goa for the media drive in Feb 2019 told you after driving the XUV3OO.

Mahindra probably found the feedback forms Suhaas307 and I filled where we mentioned to them as well told the guys over lunch that the XUV3OO is brilliant but you need an automatic badly. And given how well the XUV3OO drives, please do not do the cardinal mistake of putting in AMT and thinking it will work on this.

This XUV3OO needs a proper Torque converter automatic that suits the premium image and drive quality of this vehicle. Definitely not a clumsy AMT unit.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks