Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2021, 11:47   #241
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
I absolutely agree. Jeep cannot afford to dilute such a legendary brand. If they start competing with Tata or the Korean siblings, the iconic brand will suffer in the long run. Therefore going after high paying but passionate consumers for higher margins in a low volume game makes sense as opposed to going after volumes and killing the brand.
Of course. Look at how Toyota and Honda destroyed themselves with the Etios/Liva and Brio/Amaze/Mobilio. For the VFM products we have Tata and Maruti.

Even Hyundai does not play the value game in the higher segment. The Hyundai Tucson the closest rival to the Compass in terms of size and features isn't any cheaper than the Compass.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 11:51   #242
BHPian

That is definitely one strategy for a manufacturer to follow and then they need to have the guts to stick with it over the long run since there will be a volume penalty.

Given that FCA has only one volume car in its kitty (Compass) and nothing else to give numbers, it is a bold step. Hyundai etc can afford a price misstep on one of the cards in the portfolio since they have others to sustain volumes if their pricing causes sales to suffer.

Even pre-covid Compass was just selling 700-800 cars, will Jeep go the Fiat way over time then?
sunilrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 11:57   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Of course. Look at how Toyota and Honda destroyed themselves with the Etios/Liva and Brio/Amaze/Mobilio. For the VFM products we have Tata and Maruti.

Even Hyundai does not play the value game in the higher segment. The Hyundai Tucson the closest rival to the Compass in terms of size and features isn't any cheaper than the Compass.
The Tucson also barely sells 100 units a month, Is that Jeep's ambition. Do keep in mind that the fixed costs will add up if volumes collapse for a single model company. Hyundai has other cars to drive 40k+ volumes monthly.

That said I would love to see what Hyundai does with the launch of the new Tucson given their struggle in the 20L+ segment till date. Will they be aggressive on pricing vs. Fortuner or go head to head with great features.
sunilrs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 12:28   #244
BANNED

Jeep compass facelift launched at Rs.16.99 lakh.

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-screenshot_20210128122514__01.jpg

Credit : Zigwheels instagram page.
Old 28th January 2021, 12:30   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
I myself have booked JC S-Variant AT in Galaxy Blue.
I had a debate ( with myself ) about the color. Somehow I did not like the light-grey (that reminds me of concrete roofs) roof and pillars of the black/blue/red shades of the model S. Grey shades come with a black roof and look cleaner to me, hence my color of choice is grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
VFM depends on the buyer as I've already said.
I agree. Different people have different definitions of value. I rejected Koreans because I value a bit of exclusivity, rejected sedans because I don't like the sound of cars scraping their underbelly, rejected full-size SUVs and 7 seaters because I usually drive alone and will feel like living in a 4BHK apartment alone

Thus the compass felt more value (as per my definition of 'value') for money.
navaneeth is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 12:37   #246
BHPian

The shortened name of the petrol engine is what rang in my mind, when I saw the prices. Hope folks from southern states can understand what I meant.

Agree Compass is more of a quality true blue SUV when compared to the Korean siblings and need not be compared with them, but I see that its always been Jeep strategy to launch at a higher price and then offer heavy discounts towards end of the year. And that, in my opinion is a blow on genuine Jeep fans who would feel shortchanged when they see the discounts later.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 12:49   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TourqeHead View Post
Per me- FIAT is one Car manufacturer with amazing design and engineering teams Only to be let down by a mediocre Management and Marketing team. Not sure if they have an analyst team to study market needs and feedback , in case they have ,those folks should be given a basic 101 training on how not to wreck a brand(Sorry ,FIAT brand is already wrecked, so how not to wreck a brand twice!)

I happen to be a hard core Fiat loyalist and have been waiting for a while to upgrade to Compass from our now 6 year old Punto 1.3 MJD Sportz. Was eagerly waiting for the facelift price reveal and have to say FCA India have their own unique way of deeply disappointing any one who trusts them to do any good.

P.S : This happens to be my first post, Big thanks to all you here for your valuable insights and contributions. This platform is real treasure trove when it comes to any thing about Cars.
Going through a parallel tussle in my head and heart and looks like this price reveal will turn around many potential buyers.
It was always those expert opinions and user reviews that Compass's ride and handling are a notch above Harrier's that I couldn't make up my mind to incline towards one.
I was on the lookout of pre-owned JC in 15L range to replace my Terrano. The reason which held me back to choose Harrier was a visualisation of me driving like I do, on that mixed bag of the highways and potholes and crazy traffic we have. And somewhere in my heart continuously analysing that minuscule of a difference for Superior Ride-Handling package I could have had if I chose Compass over Harrier.

With this facelift around, I thought I'll wait and maybe shift my plan by the end of the year and stretch my budget to 20+ to get a mid-spec variant with some ACTUAL value benefit. But I believe it does not make much of a case now.
All the advertised GOODIES are not available in the Longitude variant, heck, come are not even in Limited and reserved for 'S'.
I never like to pass on comments like a Car manufacturer should do THIS or THAT, considering these people would know better for their business and have a more significant experience and exposure for pan India & Global markets. Still, I'm startled with this pricing and the variant differences. I don't know how stuff happens in those boardrooms, but this doesn't reflect an 'INDIA First' or at least an 'INDIA Important' strategy by JEEP. It reminds me of the first batch of JC, and GTO's review highlighting the infotainment screen inclined towards the passenger's side since they did not even bother to get a redesigned dash for RHD markets like India. Feels like this is a similar effort for the Indian market.

Well, back to the original plan, or maybe I'll take multiple test drives of Harrier to develop some liking and not look this side. Or unless a receive a bonkers of a year-end bonus from my company covering that premium... :P

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th January 2021 at 13:03. Reason: trimming quoted post
aastiksaluja is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 14:05   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post

Agree Compass is more of a quality true blue SUV when compared to the Korean siblings and need not be compared with them, but I see that its always been Jeep strategy to launch at a higher price and then offer heavy discounts towards end of the year. And that, in my opinion is a blow on genuine Jeep fans who would feel shortchanged when they see the discounts later.
Given the recent discounts on Sport plus of 1.4lac and Nighteagle of 2.8lac, no surprise if similar offers are running by festive or year end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
G

Well, back to the original plan, or maybe I'll take multiple test drives of Harrier to develop some liking and not look this side. Or unless a receive a bonkers of a year-end bonus from my company covering that premium... :P
Couple of years back we had to choose between company car lease or car allowance (which was a paltry sum). We chose lease option and bought Hexa, but our heart was fixated on Compass. Though Hexa is good per se, we have tried hard to like it and every time I see a Compass, the heart misses a beat.

With Compass its a decision made by heart than head. The question is which is stronger in us.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th January 2021 at 01:50. Reason: Fixed typos and spacing.
bullitt1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 14:57   #249
BHPian

I really love the new facelift version of the Compass. It has addressed almost all the concerns raised by reviewers and existing owners. Many existing owners are planning to upgrade to the new Compass due to the amazing features it is offering in the top S variant. Having said that, it will be a bad financial decision if someone is selling their 2-3 years vehicle for the facelift version.

I really hate it when people compare Compass with Korean siblings. Compass should only be compared with Harrier duo/Hexa/Hector duo/Tucson/XUV 500/Tiguan/T-Roc/Karoq. Creta and Seltos should be compared with S-Cross/Kicks. When you compare Compass with the list I provided above, then it will be one of the most VFM option.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 15:02   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

I am going to be in market for a new car by end of year, and I am smitten by the new Tucson, so much so, that I will wait for it's launch when ever it happens, so if my plan to pick a new car gets pushed to next year, so be it.

If Hyundai and Jeep go head to head on pricing, at-least by the looks of it and the reviews I have seen I will pick the Tucson. The other option that might open up by then is pre owned year old compass, that might end up being VFM too. In the current price range picking a new compass is a tough choice, My other shortlist are Aircross, Safari and New XUV 500.

It's a good time to be a customer for varied choices, but a bad time with the current unpredictable financial conditions due to Covid. Hopefully by end of year Tucson would have launched, and this Diwali we get to bring in a new car home, or if it has to be, then next Diwali.
Old 28th January 2021, 16:17   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Couple of years back we had to choose b/w company car lease or car allowance (which was a paltry sum). We chose lease option and bought Hexa, but our heart was fixated on Compass. Though Hexa is good per se, we have tried hard to like it and everytime i see a Compass, miss a heart beat.
Exactly my thoughts. Ironically, during my last monthly visit to our second home, I saw we have a new neighbour who owns a red hot compass. And the neighbour on the other side has a white harrier. Its a day of dilemma every time I look out of the window :P
aastiksaluja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 16:33   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
Exactly my thoughts. Ironically, during my last monthly visit to our second home, I saw we have a new neighbour who owns a red hot compass. And the neighbour on the other side has a white harrier. Its a day of dilemma every time I look out of the window :P
ha ha, classic case of neighbours driving you crazy. Forget these two and get a Wrangler, then you can drive them crazy.
Old 28th January 2021, 16:58   #253
BHPian

Got Bangalore on road pricing details from my regular SA -

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-jeep_2021_blr.jpeg
sushantk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 17:31   #254
BHPian

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-emi.png

Came across this in Jeep website, if this is the finance offered, forget Compass, i'll buy a Wrangler
Old 28th January 2021, 21:58   #255

Outlandish pricing. Looking at the pricing of this facelift, I am wondering how Jeep will price the upcoming 7 seater version of Compass. If at all Jeep is contemplating same set of engines at a premium of 1-2 lacs over the 5 seater, 7 seater would be a more reasonable choice. Honestly, I am skeptical of Jeep's future in India.
Shalom1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed