Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2021, 17:00   #406
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
I got this yesterday from the dealer, not sure if these are their assumptions or if they got this information from Jeep/FCA. Waiting periods are understandable for cars with huge demand like Hyundai Creta. There is a 4 month waiting period for top variant. The dealers aren’t getting top variants for delivery, looks like there is a supply issue. Now I feel stupid for selling off my Elantra believing Jeep’s announcement that the deliveries will start from Feb 2nd.

Attachment 2123665
Seeing your previous posts, and also the extended waiting period, I downloaded the Skoda Superb brochure from their site. I have decided to take a test drive this coming week. Let's see how it goes.
Old 20th February 2021, 19:00   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
I got this yesterday from the dealer, not sure if these are their assumptions or if they got this information from Jeep/FCA. Waiting periods are understandable for cars with huge demand like Hyundai Creta. There is a 4 month waiting period for top variant.
If this is the case across the board then FCA India has pulled a master stroke in ensuring that all Harriers,VWs,Skodas and Tucsons will sell, just that only Jeeps won't. What they get out of it can only be left to wild imagination. If it was to eventually give a 4 month wait time for fully loaded model then what was the point of a much awaited reveal on Jan 7th and then a close to month wait of formal launch and despatch. These people are for sure smart guys and get paid pretty lot to manage FCA India; if this is the outcome of their Project and Portfolio planning and management of a product launch, have to say that they for sure know what they are doing ; It's just that we cannot figure out for whose benefit it is.
TourqeHead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 09:30   #408
BHPian

Chip shortage that is affecting the entire automobile industry could be the reason for long(er) waiting periods, though FCA might not be acknowledging it w.r.t Indian scenario.
Old 21st February 2021, 09:58   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
Chip shortage that is affecting the entire automobile industry could be the reason for long(er) waiting periods, though FCA might not be acknowledging it w.r.t Indian scenario.
That's what I thought as well seeing how higher end models with presumably more chips have longer waiting times. But wouldn't it just be better for FCA to come out and say it? It's not their fault and other manufacturers are also sure to face issues right?
Old 21st February 2021, 10:22   #410
BHPian

Apparently, there is a huge shortage of steel which was coming from China - this is what I have been told by a Ford dealer yesterday. As I was finalising the lease model for the Jeep Compass and waiting for the new model announcement in Feb, my wife insisted on owning a small car for the city - and I ended up booking a Wagon R in January. As usual, I was told it will be made available to me in a few weeks. Then I got an email on the delay of 6-8 weeks. Then I was told to go for a different trim (I wanted a ZxI 1.2 L MT, was being told to take the VxI with 1 seat belt) - finally, I gave up and have cancelled the booking as I am done with Maruti.

While looking around, I came across Ford Freestyle and test drove it yesterday and was cursing myself for not considering it, given it's excellent driving dynamics and superlative safety features (6 Airbags, Traction Control and what not...) and my wife and I decided to book it. That's when I was told by the SA to book the colour that is available as there is no guarantee on timelines on the next lot. Apparently, they are completely short of raw material (She said steel, I reckon it would be a combination of steel as well as electronic component as well as some really poor planning by auto manufacturers in not anticipating V Shaped recovery and huge demand...).

We booked the White/Black combination and whether we get it in next few days or not remains to be seen. But there seems to be a huge shortage hitting all the manufacturers for sure. As far as the Jeep is concerned, I have not yet heard anything from the leasing company or the dealer so don't know the situation. And in the meanwhile, I sold off my old Swift anticipating a new car and now I am left with nothing - had to lease a car on the weekend as I needed to go out of town

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd February 2021 at 11:04. Reason: Added para spacing.
saumitra_joshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 16:36   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
Seeing your previous posts, and also the extended waiting period, I downloaded the Skoda Superb brochure from their site. I have decided to take a test drive this coming week. Let's see how it goes.
Haha!
Welcome to the club!
It’s a wonderful car! You’ll really like it.
If you are okay with letting go the “go anywhere” characteristic of the compass, the plushness and the premiumness has no comparison!

Also, got a call from Jeep stating that my car has been allotted despite me cancelling the booking almost a week back! I don’t know what’s happening at the back end!
Jash2709 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 23:32   #412
pms
BHPian

Did a test drive of petrol and diesel automatic at KHT dealership at Inner Ring Road, Bangalore. All models and shades (barring techno green) were available for display. This was the first time I drove a Compass and was surprised by its stability and dynamics. Was also amazed by the build quality coming from a Honda City. Everything felt rock solid and built to last.

Was particularly impressed with Blue and Black shades. Coming to the drive, though I couldn't find too many differences between petrol and diesel, somehow I felt the petrol auto to be more refined and smooth to drive. Maybe it's the DCT gearbox, but overall felt both automatics non-aggressive when you slow down and want a quick acceleration.

Brakes were super good and the SA showed its prowess by doing a high speed drive and braking the vehicle. It stopped without any drama and both me & my wife seated at the rear were left impressed. Only thing I felt lacking were paddle shifters which would have been really nice for this slightly lethargic autobox. Other than that, model S is loaded with all latest tech including wireless android auto. Jeep could have provided a choice of interior leather shades as model S comes with only black interior. Felt a bit claustrophobic.

Showroom experience was nice. Prices are on the higher side (32L for Petrol Auto model S) and SA mentioned a discount of close to 40K and that too on insurance.

Just had couple of questions post the test drive
1) Why diesel auto is considered superior in compass as I wasn't able to find the difference, maybe I have to take a TD again?
2) What kind of mileage one can expect for petrol auto in City and Highway?
pms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:31   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumitra_joshi View Post
Apparently, there is a huge shortage of steel which was coming from China - this is what I have been told by a Ford dealer yesterday. As I was finalising the lease model for the Jeep Compass and waiting for the new model announcement in Feb, my wife insisted on owning a small car for the city - and I ended up booking a Wagon R in January. As usual, I was told it will be made available to me in a few weeks. Then I got an email on the delay of 6-8 weeks. Then I was told to go for a different trim (I wanted a ZxI 1.2 L MT, was being told to take the VxI with 1 seat belt) - finally, I gave up and have cancelled the booking as I am done with Maruti. While looking around, I came across Ford Freestyle and test drove it yesterday and was cursing myself for not considering it, given it's excellent driving dynamics and superlative safety features (6 Airbags, Traction Control and what not...) and my wife and I decided to book it. That's when I was told by the SA to book the colour that is available as there is no guarantee on timelines on the next lot. Apparently, they are completely short of raw material (She said steel, I reckon it would be a combination of steel as well as electronic component as well as some really poor planning by auto manufacturers in not anticipating V Shaped recovery and huge demand...). We booked the White/Black combination and whether we get it in next few days or not remains to be seen. But there seems to be a huge shortage hitting all the manufacturers for sure. As far as the Jeep is concerned, I have not yet heard anything from the leasing company or the dealer so don't know the situation. And in the meanwhile, I sold off my old Swift anticipating a new car and now I am left with nothing - had to lease a car on the weekend as I needed to go out of town
It definitely is the chip shortage hitting the auto-industry. Below is an article -
https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/te...le33886082.ece

how come Hundai, Kia , VW and Skoda not affected ? Or is it this that is leading to June and pre -diwali launch of Kushaq and Taigun? :Shocked:

Have booked a JC 2021 DDCT - Limited - Green - will share the experience of arrive to it. The search began in 2019 ..so it was quite a journey..wonder if should continue in this thread or separate one. !
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:44   #414
Senior - BHPian

The SA I spoke to also confirmed chip shortage as the issue. No/very few deliveries being made as of now from the Kolkata dealership.
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:45   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms View Post
1) Why diesel auto is considered superior in compass as I wasn't able to find the difference, maybe I have to take a TD again?
2) What kind of mileage one can expect for petrol auto in City and Highway?
The Only benefit of a Diesel Auto is : Better mileage - you can expect 12-13kmpl in combined usage and upto 16kmpl on highways.
Also, the Diesel Auto is the only variant available with 4x4 , and if you need 4x4, that is the only option.

The Petrol Auto is a guzzler and will give you a typical mileage of 7-8 kmpl in combined cycle on petrol and if driven lightly 12-13 on highways. But engine refinement is better.

In the Compass, the Diesel engine is a very good and responsive engine in Manual version, but the combination with a lethargic 9 speed ZF autobox has made the Diesel auto variant unexciting to drive. Jeep should consider replacing it with some other Auto box - the same engine in the Harrier with the Hyundai sourced 6 speed auto box feels much more lively and responsive.

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd February 2021 at 09:46.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:54   #416
BHPian

Disclaimer- I have driven neither any BMW or Jeep Compass
One point on ZF transmission keeps bothering me about it’s extremes:
In each review of BMWs which have ZF transmission, people sing songs of praise about how the transmission is always in the right gear and so quick- as if it is synced with driver’s mind.

And yet in each review of Jeep Compass Diesel Auto with ZF transmission, people call it slow and lazy and a point of frustration!

Is it the gearbox to blame or the manufacturer who tune these gearboxes to blame?
And if it is tuning, then tuners can match the BMW tuning, no?

And then Jeep Compass diesel automatic will be ultimate driving machine this side of 40L, no?

Perhaps I am oversimplifying things here but really curious of same ZF transmission getting laurels on BMW and getting stick in Jeep.

Last edited by daretodream : 22nd February 2021 at 10:08. Reason: Typos
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:04   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Is it the gearbox to blame or the manufacturer who tune these gearboxes to blame?
And if it is tuning, then tuners can match the BMW tuning, no?

And then Jeep Compass diesel automatic will be ultimate driving machine this side of 40L, no?

Perhaps I am oversimplifying things here but really curious of same ZF transmission getting laurels on BMW and getting stuck in Jeep.
The BMW's use a ZF8 gearbox that sends power to the rear wheels. The compass uses a ZF9 that sends power to the front and is meant for AWD applications.

The ZF9 has a short 1st gear for offroad situations.

Overall, it is a combination of poor tuning as well as gearbox itself.

The ZF9 in Compass is shared with the Honda C-RV, Range Rover Evoque and other applications but not with BMW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:27   #418
BHPian

With Petrol/Diesel prices going up the way they are - why would Auto companies not release EVs faster - does anyone have insight into this. I ask, as I observe only Tata pushing out Nexon and MG for it's vehicle (forgot the name!!). Why would Stellantis / FCA wait? Apparently they are big in sustainable mobility and considering the fuel prices in India, would it not be perfect business sense to launch EVs here for Compass?? Surely will have more people interested and for good reason.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 22nd February 2021 at 10:29. Reason: Edited post for improved punctuation.
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:39   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEnthusiast10 View Post
With Petrol/Diesel prices going up the way they are - why would Auto companies not release EVs faster - does anyone have insight into this. I ask, as I observe only Tata pushing out Nexon and MG for it's vehicle (forgot the name!!). Why would Stellantis / FCA wait? Apparently they are big in sustainable mobility and considering the fuel prices in India, would it not be perfect business sense to launch EVs here for Compass?? Surely will have more people interested and for good reason.
The infrastructure in India is nowhere close to good to have an EV as your only vehicle. At the moment FCA has not priced its offerings to have it as a backup/second vehicle so EV options may take a while to come along.
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:42   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
The infrastructure in India is nowhere close to good to have an EV as your only vehicle. At the moment FCA has not priced its offerings to have it as a backup/second vehicle so EV options may take a while to come along.
Agreed about the limited infrastructure in the EV ecosystem - then how come Tata /MG pushing their vehicles vehemently ? Where do they expect the Nexon's to be charged?

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks