Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 11:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

The horizontal strip containing the Jeep letters at the steering wheel console is so American ! Loved that bit especially, looks so much more premium than the round one earlier.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:02   #32
BHPian

The speaker is indeed ALPINE. Here is a screen grab from one of the Youtubers B-rolls that shows the name somewhat clearly. Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-screenshot-20210108-12.00.10-pm.png
scarezebra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:35   #33

Pardon me for my naivety !

Have done something to fix the ride quality at the rear ? My family hates it to be in the rear esp., in the twisties. We were told by the folks at ASS that someone has manually placed an iron bar weighing close to 30 kgs in the boot to mitigate the tossing behavior at the rear. Does this work ? Is there any physics behind it ?
acarun.vel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:36   #34
BHPian

Jeep has done well on the interior front to make it look more appealing. The exterior has only subtle changes from the previous models, which may not be very evident to naive eyes. Pricing is very important for success, as feature list is not that exhaustive, say when compared to that of a Karoq and considering the competition. When I say feature, I mean things like paddle shifters, more no of airbags, dual clutch transmission etc. Without those they should price it sensibly instead of pricing high initially and then offering heavy (2 lakh) discounts etc later on, which dampens the spirit of existing owners who pay the full price during launch and earlier in the cycle .
shinuak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:40   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-was-here View Post
hello everyone,
i am still not sure if compass FL will have digital dashboard or not.
some pictures show it, some do not.

and the interiors. Are they going to be black or brown/cognac

a recent spy shot of compass in India (which was speculated to be driven by a company executive) showed normal dials and brown/cognac-ish interiors
It was confirmed during the launch that it will have 10.2 inch digital information cluster. This will have various screen options and I am sure one will be similar to an analogue dial. I think there's a picture of it in this very thread.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 13:01   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This one is all about the interior - even though the exterior has aged gracefully as well. Looks like a well rounded package for the segment now. Hoping for a more competitive pricing - as the Jeep is simply priced beyond what the market is prepared to pay for it.

Attachment 2104212

PS: Personally, I'll be keeping a watch on the OLX price trends of the old Compass now. Already finding some good deals on 'almost new' cars.
True. I am seeing too many 2019, 2018 Compass models on sale in Olx. Are users not happy with the compass? I am asking since I'm considering Compass, Harrier & XUV500 2021 for my next purchase.
mumbaisouthpaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 13:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
The exterior has only subtle changes from the previous models, which may not be very evident to naive eyes..
The DRL repositioning is very prominent and easy to notice even for an amature. Glad that the fog+DRL is now a thing of the past but sadly the spray jets are still on the bonnet.
Old 8th January 2021, 13:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

So I guess this is all about the Interiors and features and Jeep seems to have caught up. However, there is still no respite for folks wanting a 4x2 Automatic

Stretching to the 4x4 just for an Automatic won't make sense for many so there is still more work to do for FCA...
Old 8th January 2021, 13:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbaisouthpaw View Post
True. I am seeing too many 2019, 2018 Compass models on sale in Olx. Are users not happy with the compass? I am asking since I'm considering Compass, Harrier & XUV500 2021 for my next purchase.
Hello, In my personal experiences with the owners most of them aren't happy with the after sales experiences. Most prominent issue that people face are battery related issues. Another reason might be that some people feel pre-facelift Compass to be outdated as per the competition. I'll suggest you to test drive all the products you're considering in an intricated manner. I'm in the market for the same segment, but seems 2021 is going to be our year so holding my purchasing decision.
Ps: All the issues mentioned are based on my personal encounters with the owners.
Happy driving!
vtecblast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 13:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
So I guess this is all about the Interiors and features and Jeep seems to have caught up. However, there is still no respite for folks wanting a 4x2 Automatic

Stretching to the 4x4 just for an Automatic won't make sense for many so there is still more work to do for FCA...
IIRC Mr. Partha Datta in the launch video did mention about automatic to be made available from Sports variant. Not sure he was talking about Diesel or Petrol though.
Old 8th January 2021, 13:56   #41
BHPian

The Compass is a fabulous car, and has been one of my favourites since its launch. And the new facelift makes it all the more appealing. The interior looks really classy and the exterior was almost perfect to begin with.

From a sales perspective, the problem IMO is that the Compass is kinda stuck in no man’s land. Is it competing with the Creta/Seltos? Is it competing with the Harrier/Hector? Or is it competing with the Karoq?

FCA needs to be clear on where exactly they want to position the Compass, and price it accordingly. IMO, a small premium over the Harrier and Hector will work. So a price correction is definitely needed.

Also with the facelift, they need to sort their variant distribution. It needs a diesel 4x2 A/T in the lower trims.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 8th January 2021 at 13:57.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:09   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrnh View Post
It is definitely not VFM but I would say it’s better value than the aforementioned two or even Tucson, Karoq.
It lacks performance and I am not overly fond of the gearbox but it’s such a solid fun to drive car. Even though I upgraded from the jetta which was a fantastic car in itself this tugs even harder at my heartstrings.
I'd say Karoq, being a CBU and towards the end also had discounts upto 1.5L, maybe a better deal for sure. The one *massive* advantage the Karoq had was space. Boot and cabon are far superior to the Compass. The petrol motor was comparable. Build quailty and interiors in Karoq were superior than the Jeep by a margin. Superior suspension set-up too. And the gearbox is no comparison. Karoq felt as sure as the Compass. While I had a limited drive of the karoq, drove the Ateca extensively in Spain a couple of years back. Admittedly Ateca is set up to be sportier, but the the car was a dream to drive on curving, hilly roads of Tenerife.
Annibaddh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarun.vel View Post
Pardon me for my naivety !

Have done something to fix the ride quality at the rear ? My family hates it to be in the rear esp., in the twisties. We were told by the folks at ASS that someone has manually placed an iron bar weighing close to 30 kgs in the boot to mitigate the tossing behavior at the rear. Does this work ? Is there any physics behind it ?
30 lakh car and keeping 30 kg of iron in the boot to get better ride !!
Turbo_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 15:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
folks wanting a 4x2 Automatic

IIRC the diesel compass 9 speed ZF transmission works only with 4*4 system. Am pretty sure they would've launched 4*2 AT by now otherwise.
Old 8th January 2021, 16:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
From a sales perspective, the problem IMO is that the Compass is kinda stuck in no man's land. Is it competing with the Creta/Seltos? Is it competing with the Harrier/Hector? Or is it competing with the Karoq?
Discussed this earlier too, still : humor me. Why is there this thought that Compass is stuck in no-man's land? Build quality, materials on use and power wise, Compass cannot be compared to any of Creta / Seltos / Hector. Harrier comes close. And the price conscious customer will go for Harrier, though Compass can be construed to be a segment above, say, in league of Karoq and Tucson. Maybe FCA pricing the low spec versions of Compass closer to Creta/Seltos high end range, is leading to this confusion? If that is the problem, then we are making a manufacturer pay for it's strategy of having lesser priced lower variants and making a reasonably quality product available in multiple affordability points.
anoop cheeran is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed