Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 11:23   #61
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post

I have seen a lot of comments about this as an "issue" that is against going for a JC -

However it would be pointless for me to go for a car that isn't reliable in the engine and shifting departments.
I don't think there are any reliability concerns on the gearbox and the engines. It's just that they aren't mated very well and there are other cars where the same Diesel engine has been paired brilliantly with an auto box (Harrier)

Even the Petrol DCT in the Jeep is supposedly average.
Of course, all these comparisons are with the best that the market has to offer (DSG in VWs for example)

I personally think that unless you are a very enthusiastic driver who cares a lot about your 0-100 times and fastest shifting gearboxes, both the automatics in JC should serve you reasonably well for most City and Highway runs.
Shreyas_H is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 11:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
I don't think there are any reliability concerns on the gearbox and the engines. It's just that they aren't mated very well and there are other cars where the same Diesel engine has been paired brilliantly with an auto box (Harrier)

Even the Petrol DCT in the Jeep is supposedly average.
Of course, all these comparisons are with the best that the market has to offer (DSG in VWs for example)

I personally think that unless you are a very enthusiastic driver who cares a lot about your 0-100 times and fastest shifting gearboxes, both the automatics in JC should serve you reasonably well for most City and Highway runs.
Thanks for the reply. Please excuse my bothering you on this, but to be clear - I wanted to understand 2 issues.

Reliability concerns would mean that there are problems or breakdowns with respect to the engine gearbox pairing etc and that I can't use the vehicle or it just piles up on the costs and maintenance.

The other aspect is when people talk of the mating - what is the exact "comparison" that causes this to be a less than optimal issue on the JC? Is it the refinement/the in gear accelerations/response or feel etc? I own a GT Tsi so I am well attuned to the DSG's characteristics. I have a very good idea of how the DSG's responds in all types of traffic as well as my needs on the highway and if you'd rate that as the benchmark then where exactly would the JC's combination fall short?

Lastly is this with the diesel or the petrol engines when speaking of these issues. I see on the other owner and long term threads that petrol engined owners don't appear to have as much of a problem as diesel units?

I just want to narrow down on the exact area that has caused this reputation to be sure if I'm on the right track.

Apologies if this isn't the best thread for it - but this vehicle has been on my list for my next vehicle to replace my ZX Vtec and I need to take a call pref by May/June of this year on zeroing in. The facelift was naturally something i looked forward too though it was well known Jeep was not going to change the existing engine+gearbox pairing.
Old 10th January 2021, 11:48   #63
BHPian

A much needed updates for this SUV, seems to have got better in almost every aspects. I really liked it.
Overall the vehicle look more aggressive and premium than before.
Old 10th January 2021, 11:48   #64
BHPian

Quote:

Reliability concerns would mean that there are problems or breakdowns with respect to the engine gearbox pairing etc and that I can't use the vehicle or it just piles up on the costs and maintenance.
So a friend of mine is in the same boat as you and has been speaking extensively to existing owners and Jeep service centers. There aren't breakdown related concerns at all so far. It's simply the performance of the gearbox that leaves owners/enthusiasts wanting for more

Quote:
The other aspect is when people talk of the mating - what is the exact "comparison" that causes this to be a less than optimal issue on the JC? Is it the refinement/the in gear accelerations/response or feel etc? I own a GT Tsi so I am well attuned to the DSG's characteristics.
I think the official review can throw more light on this for you. I have personally only driven the diesel manual and loved it. But yes from what I hear from people it is a mix of response time, in-gear acceleration and some lag low down.

I think if you are used to the DSG, you will be let down by either of the automatics on the Jeep.

Quote:
Lastly is this with the diesel or the petrol engines when speaking of these issues. I see on the other owner and long term threads that petrol engined owners don't appear to have as much of a problem as diesel units?
I guess that's probably because of more Diesels being sold than Petrol for the Jeep Compass.

Quote:
Apologies if this isn't the best thread for it - but this vehicle has been on my list for my next vehicle to replace my ZX Vtec and I need to take a call pref by May/June of this year on zeroing in. The facelift was naturally something i looked forward too though it was well known Jeep was not going to change the existing engine+gearbox pairing.
I too am actually in a similar boat as you. Need to replace my Honda City and the new Compass is in my consideration set.

My suggestion would be to do extensive test drives of both the automatics and decide for yourself. The issues are not mechanical reliability but the driving feel/slickness of the gearbox.

I too intend to do detailed test drives and hoping to finalize and get a new car by May/June this year

Actual Compass owners can throw more light on your queries!

Last edited by Shreyas_H : 10th January 2021 at 11:53.
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:58   #65
BHPian

Latest update from a local dealer: pricing and variants to be revealed only by Feb 4th
Vehicles might show up in showrooms after 23rd January.
Old 10th January 2021, 15:09   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
I think if you are used to the DSG, you will be let down by either of the automatics on the Jeep.
I read in an UK forum (Effective Tuning I think) that the ZF 9HP gearbox can be remapped for faster up shifts. Does anybody has any knowledge on this. I drive a DSG equipped vehicle and know that DSG can be remapped.

Gurus may throw some light on it.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th January 2021 at 08:20. Reason: Quote tags
Old 10th January 2021, 18:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:

The other aspect is when people talk of the mating - what is the exact "comparison" that causes this to be a less than optimal issue on the JC? Is it the refinement/the in gear accelerations/response or feel etc?
Jeep, in general, is infamous for faulty transmission in Cherokee and other models in US. I don't think Jeep Compass faced any reliability issues with the gearbox so far in India, at-least nowhere near the level of DQ200 in VAG cars, maybe one off issues here and there. In India, when it comes to DCT there is always a reliability concern whether it be Compass or Seltos or a VAG running with DQ200, again I believe this is due to the experience our community had with DQ200.

Coming to gearbox mating, since you drive a GT TSI, a short test ride on Jeep Compass is more than enough to understand the difference between the two setups. VAG DSG is a benchmark, anyone who has driven one of those may not like the setup in Jeep Compass. I have a GT TSI, for me, Compass DCT setup is not fun-oriented as a VAG DSG, the gearbox sometimes get confused and will search for the correct gear. So far I have done two test drives on Jeep Compass petrol, and the last one I have fully driven in tiptronic and felt much better. When it comes to diesel variants, a good example is how Tata mated the auto in the same engine, it's butter smooth shifting when comparing to Jeep Compass.

I'm also in the market to buy an SUV, personally, I don't want to add another DCT to my garage and most importantly for me, an SUV is SUV only when it's 4x4. I would prefer to have Diesel 4x4 auto, but it's way out of my budget, wish they launch a Diesel auto variant around 24 lakhs.
GT145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:38   #68
BHPian

As someone with a recent ( 10 months ) and only 7k on ( thank you COVID ) oddo 2.0 MT Limited Plus 4*4 , the new Compass seems to cross off all my wishlist
1) ventilated seats : on boys do I miss this , the leather seats though beautiful to look and feel are poor for ventilation
2) 360 camera , as per dear friend @ex670c, 90% of off roading is done in the mind , driving on the under construction roads and parking the massive bulk would really help.
3) wireless Android auto and apple car play : the old system was not bad and connecting was easy , but one less wire to care about. Also Alex will be great for Amazon Music
4) new UI : the current one is laggy at its best and non responsive when in mood , so anything ( 5 times as per claim ) will go a long way , size of the display is a personal choice , I an happy with the 8"
5) powered tail gate : oh how I looked at pictures of compass in US with this option and wondered , so difficult to add it to 25+ lakh car !!

New face , Na not for me , I like my old school , butch in your face

Cheers
docted is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 10:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Please excuse my bothering you on this, but to be clear - I wanted to understand 2 issues.

I just want to narrow down on the exact area that has caused this reputation to be sure if I'm on the right track.
Well, I have a petrol AT for the last year. But thanks to the pandemic, drove only around 5k kms, much of it in the city. This is my first Automatic, so can't say am an expert regarding comparisons on transmission efficiency. But am coming from a Rapid 1.6 TDi, so, initial days did feel (like you, I have been forewarned of this from reading and watching reviews etc maybe that plays in our minds too) a lack of sudden surge of power. As many have opined here, one 'learn' to use the accelerator in the DCT and soon I stopped noticing this lag. However I can say it is no spring chicken. Sudden acceleration especially in lower rpm does makes the gears go a bit confused till it settles in. Did a 1000 km highway run recently and did not feel a lack of power in tricky overtake situations or through steep inclines in ghat sections. For me, am no drag racer, so vehicle never felt underpowered, can say. Also it is a calm, steady cruiser for sure on highways with good ride quality. Regarding reliability, am part of all sorts of Jeep forums - in India the issues are always about the stock battery dying off after couple of years, often suddenly. If one makes peace with this and change battery after two years or be a bit careful about routine battery health checks (instrument cluster does provide the battery situation), assume it can be easily tided over. The other issue I have read is about ABS sensors. Considering it is a vehicle that is taken to all sorts of terrain and maybe with a little less care than one would normally do, not sure if the issues are also due to rough use. Other than this two, I have not come across major issues in forums or personally (touchwood) so far. In India, FCA uses the time tested Fiat engines and that is a big differentiator w.r.t global complaints on engine etc, I guess.

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th January 2021 at 12:25. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
anoop cheeran is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:55   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

How much is the new Compass now on road in Bangalore? Anyone know?
Old 11th January 2021, 12:57   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How much is the new Compass now on road in Bangalore? Anyone know?
What new compass? The facelift is not going to be launched till Feb. This was only an unveil.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 12:59   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What new compass? The facelift is not going to be launched till Feb. This was only an unveil.
I thought it was already out going by the press release.
Old 11th January 2021, 13:08   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I thought it was already out going by the press release.
Details on prices and variants not out. Only features and facelift highlights have been revealed.

Prices and variants on Feb 4th.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 15:02   #74
BHPian

This is still a catch up game by Jeep. The features included are already offered in other cars. Should have done something about GC and approach angle (may not be as Trailhawk). Also current price is uncompetitive . Unless Jeep focuses on these aspects then not sure what additional customer will get by paying extra except the brand value

Last edited by brownianmotion : 11th January 2021 at 15:05. Reason: Price is not yet released
Old 11th January 2021, 16:08   #75
BHPian

I got a call from Jeep India ( because I gave my details on their website ). The person who called confirmed that the test drive vehicles will be available at all dealerships after January 20th and the prices will be declared on February 4th. He did not have any information on when the deliveries will commence.

EDIT: I got another call right after the first call. This person said that there will be two new colors - metallic green and galaxy blue. Also mentioned that the top-end variant will be called 'S' and it will have an alpine audio system, 360-degree camera, ventilated seats, 10.5 (IIRC) instrument cluster, etc. Are they going the Toyota Fortuner Legender way by giving a halo top variant?

Last edited by navaneeth : 11th January 2021 at 16:30. Reason: More info
navaneeth is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks