Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2021, 17:56   #271
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsinghal View Post
Ok, so you got to see the prices in Himachal. The registration charges were increased in mid 2019 by the government and are now 6 or 7%
Till last year, getting a car from Himachal used to be a very very lucrative deal.
Attachment 2115149
The implementation happened on on 9th December 2020. Three days after I got my new Compass registered at 3%. Although despite the increase, I think the HP govt. charges Road Tax on pre-GST prices, so even at 7% they're much lower compared to other states.
Old 29th January 2021, 18:02   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
We all have our opinions, Vid. If you remove your bias and read through, you would see that i am not saying that it is a positive move. I am saying it is a gutsy move. And if you have read point 7, I have mentioned that survival of the brand is questionable.
There's no bias at all. I love the Compass and always have recommended it to anyone who has asked me.

My option was between Kodiaq and Trailhawk since there was no Limited (O) AT ZF9 back then.

The problem is whoever I have recommended to always finds the Compass out of budget. And those who still like it have to settle for lower trims.

The dealer knows this and always tries to push the lower trims which are closer in price to Kia and Hyundai. Few months back, a friend was looking at Compass and he wanted the Longitude AT but it was 4.5L more than the Seltos top spec diesel AT. The dealer then made an attempt to convince him for Sport + MT or Longitude (O) MT since it was closer in price.

So the dealer themselves are finding it difficult to sell the top spec and trying to sell the lower models since customers are clearly cross shopping between Kia and Jeep.

End of the day, if Jeep is ok with this strategy, can't blame them but the disappointing thing is that this car deserves to sell a lot more than the numbers suggest but the price is the stopping factor.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th January 2021 at 19:02.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 20:04   #273

I am a huge fan of FIAT products since Palio days but one way or the other... never been able to own one. Brain has so far been over ruling heart.

When I was upgrading from hatch to sedan in 2013, Linea T-Jet was the only one in my list. Test drove it and came disappointed - turbo lag was very visible, mileage was a dismal 9.5 on an open road with 110 speed over 15 km. Bought a Skoda Rapid 1.6D, ECU remapped and been enjoying driving since last 6 years.

Loved Jeep Compass when launched few years back so much that I didn't take a test drive till last year as I knew it will be a compulsive buy when my Rapid is just 3-4 yrs old. Went for a test drive for Trailhawk 9 speed auto last year and was again disappointed.
- It did not drive better or felt powerful than my remapped Rapid
- Turbo lag (May be I am spoilt with Kodiaq, Tiguan and Octavia test drives with TDI DSG). Shifts are very slow.
- Interiors were no way justifying the 30+ OTR price tag

2021 Jeep Compass launched and my feelings for it are young again... can't forget first love :-)
- Loved the interiors (in pics, planning to go to showroom this weekend). Double stitched leather on dash gives it a much needed premium feel.
- Have the essential features. I count Lumbar support and ventilated seats in MUST have features for self driven cars while sunroof, rain sensing wipers, 360 camera are nice to have.

The only let down again will be the gear box :-(

Hence spent half day going over different forums and searching team-bhp for a possible ECU remap which can help me overcome the only flaw I see in this beauty. I got one pots in team-bhp which refers to "Pete, Code6, Team Performance Racing" but do not have any ownership review of a remapped Compass.

Request to all experts in this forum to help me with this. Will appreciate any suggestions or pointers in this regard.
sandy_shm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 22:52   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
No offence to you but I read all the points and I was trying to wrap my head around how someone was able to justify the pricing so well and with points that very few people would even think of or manage to deduce into a positive.

Then I read your signature and the whole post made sense to me
Well, even I was surprised in the way the pricing was justified. But then I think he might have a better opinion on the vehicle which he owns and is experiencing day in and out. So, claiming an opinion as biased just because someone owns it does not sounds Just.

Even I own a Jeep Compass. I am pretty unsatisfied with the pricing for future buyers. For me it works well. I think this pricing has forced Jeep into a segment, where only passionate people who aspire for Jeep and love their exclusivity will remain. I bought the same for these reasons. For rest, there are Seltos, Harrier, Hector, Creta. At least it is better than Tiguan and Kodiaqs of the world, where they sell in dozens ( Joke ) only and no one knows how will their spare part availability fare in another 3-4 years or if they will even exist in India.

For those who predicted dooms day for Jeep in India must read all the recent news on FCA in India. Stellantis committing bags full of dollar in Indian market in near term should be an assuring answer. I am convinced Jeep is here to stay.

We all love to use this word - VFM. It is a relative term. Talk to a person aspiring to buy a modest hatchback about Seltos/ Harrier and they will say it is a waste of money to invest in a car with only 5 seats and costing 20 lacs on road. So, we can say whatever we want, however at the end of day the person who is writing the cheque will decide what is VFM for him/her.

Jeep is selling 500 units a month at a much higher price tag and is happy with it. If someone has deep pocket and wants it, he will buy it. With deeper pocket he will go for Germans, I guess. I don't see anything wrong here.

Coming back to the current pricing. The quantum leap in the interior, features from best in segment, 4x4 capability, absolutely top notch safety and build quality package and the exclusivity of owning a legendary marquee will demand a premium. Whether that is justified or not, should not be a question. The question is how badly do you want her in your garage.

Now, please don't lament me also as a Jeep fanboy as I also own a Compass.
Roadster17 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 09:30   #275
BHPian

Pictures of Limited (O) are floating around on Facebook. To be frank I did not like the color combination of tan brown on white.

And it looks like Limited (O) is also getting 4WD low, although I'm not sure how effective that'll be.

Source: Jeep Compass Club group on FB

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-fb_img_1611978893525.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-fb_img_1611978891053.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-fb_img_1611978887834.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-fb_img_1611978884029.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-fb_img_1611978880641.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-fb_img_1611978873531.jpg  

Last edited by neelkumar : 30th January 2021 at 09:34. Reason: Added source
neelkumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 11:21   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
Well, even I was surprised in the way the pricing was justified. But then I think he might have a better opinion on the vehicle which he owns and is experiencing day in and out. So, claiming an opinion as biased just because someone owns it does not sounds Just.

Even I own a Jeep Compass. I am pretty unsatisfied with the pricing for future buyers. For me it works well. I think this pricing has forced Jeep into a segment, where only passionate people who aspire for Jeep and love their exclusivity will remain. I bought the same for these reasons. For rest, there are Seltos, Harrier, Hector, Creta. At least it is better than Tiguan and Kodiaqs of the world, where they sell in dozens ( Joke ) only and no one knows how will their spare part availability fare in another 3-4 years or if they will even exist in India.

For those who predicted dooms day for Jeep in India must read all the recent news on FCA in India. Stellantis committing bags full of dollar in Indian market in near term should be an assuring answer. I am convinced Jeep is here to stay.

We all love to use this word - VFM. It is a relative term. Talk to a person aspiring to buy a modest hatchback about Seltos/ Harrier and they will say it is a waste of money to invest in a car with only 5 seats and costing 20 lacs on road. So, we can say whatever we want, however at the end of day the person who is writing the cheque will decide what is VFM for him/her.

Jeep is selling 500 units a month at a much higher price tag and is happy with it. If someone has deep pocket and wants it, he will buy it. With deeper pocket he will go for Germans, I guess. I don't see anything wrong here.

Coming back to the current pricing. The quantum leap in the interior, features from best in segment, 4x4 capability, absolutely top notch safety and build quality package and the exclusivity of owning a legendary marquee will demand a premium. Whether that is justified or not, should not be a question. The question is how badly do you want her in your garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There's no bias at all. I love the Compass and always have recommended it to anyone who has asked me.

My option was between Kodiaq and Trailhawk since there was no Limited (O) AT ZF9 back then.

The problem is whoever I have recommended to always finds the Compass out of budget. And those who still like it have to settle for lower trims.

The dealer knows this and always tries to push the lower trims which are closer in price to Kia and Hyundai. Few months back, a friend was looking at Compass and he wanted the Longitude AT but it was 4.5L more than the Seltos top spec diesel AT. The dealer then made an attempt to convince him for Sport + MT or Longitude (O) MT since it was closer in price.

So the dealer themselves are finding it difficult to sell the top spec and trying to sell the lower models since customers are clearly cross shopping between Kia and Jeep.

End of the day, if Jeep is ok with this strategy, can't blame them but the disappointing thing is that this car deserves to sell a lot more than the numbers suggest but the price is the stopping factor.
I absolutely agree with you, it is a great product being let down by poor pricing/portfolio decisions. There is no harm in a 35 L top end if you offer some good middle range trims and there is no reason why this car should not sell in higher numbers unless FCA has production constraints which I am not aware of.
sunilrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 11:42   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post

Your point about VFM is well taken and I absolutely agree as they say beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, similarly Value lies in the eye of the buyer. An Alto is as much a VFM car as is a Fortuner. The only point was that would a large enough segment consider the Compass as VFM because companies can sometimes get greedy. If you remember the 1st Ford Fiesta in india and Hyundai Verna (1st generation), both cars were well loved and sold similar numbers but when they relaunched both took different pricing strategies, Hyundai ramped up price slightly but packed in features and good looks to create value and while Ford also had a great design, they tried to stretch the pricing to the max and the result is visible today, we have all forgotten the Fiesta (which was a great product as well) and the Verna continues to chug along. The Compass is a good car and even if they want to offer top end models (like Octavia did with its sport version at a premium) not having a 4x2 Diesel AT at a good price is not a sensible move.
sunilrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:01   #278
BHPian

Some pics from Facebook.
Source - Jeep Compass Club India
Credits - To respective owners

Limited 80th-Anniversary Edition

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-143752474_10217935184000627_1565655156280562097_o.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-144247494_10217935183240608_5117812382804028006_o.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-143971827_10217935182760596_2617593761406602027_o.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-144236931_10217935183120605_4541536684386600140_o.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-143690586_10217935182640593_658274427413740064_o.jpg

Longitude (O)

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-142892651_10224831481765394_6749552205448556272_n.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-143898517_10217935178240483_351199805768855082_o.jpg

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-143489768_10217935178120480_838552380022829606_o.jpg

Last edited by northstar* : 30th January 2021 at 13:03.
northstar* is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:26   #279
BHPian

Since the Compass was on my list of shortlisted options till the price reveal I wanted to know what exactly was on offer between the variants. I found the brochure not so easy to read - especially since Jeep didn't highlight the exact differences between the trims, I though I'd do it myself and converted the pdf feature list into excel and highlighted each trim difference for the top 3 since I figured, that's where most of the demand would lie. Perhaps it helps some of you folks here.

The yellow highlights on the Model S trim are the features which are unique to the Model S. The green highlights are the features which are on the Limited (O) vs the preceding Longitude (O) trim, while the blue highlights for the 80th Limited Edition show what's not on the Limited (O) trim.

I find this is much more easier to know exactly what one is paying the Jeep premium for over each trim. I've attached the excel for easy reference.

Essentially, on the 80th Ed, these are the interesting bits:
Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-l80.jpg

On the Lmited (o), these are the interesting bits over the lower trim:
Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-limtedo.jpg

Finally on the Model S - here's what is exclusive for the $$ premium.
Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled-models.jpg

Since value is a subjective thing, to me it looks like the Limited O gets the best/most jump up from a lower trim than do the 80th or the Model S do over the preceding trim.

For the complete feature list in excel and easy filtering/review - check the attached file.

Excel: 2021JCCompare.xlsx

Last edited by Vandit : 30th January 2021 at 13:28. Reason: Excel file description
Vandit is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th January 2021, 13:49   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar* View Post
Some pics from Facebook.
Source - Jeep Compass Club India
Credits - To respective owners

Limited 80th-Anniversary Edition

Attachment 2115539

Attachment 2115540

Attachment 2115541

Attachment 2115542

Attachment 2115543

Longitude (O)

Attachment 2115544

Attachment 2115546

Attachment 2115547
That's the Longitude(O). The 80th anniversary edition has black interiors doesn't it?
Old 30th January 2021, 14:05   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarezebra View Post
That's the Longitude(O). The 80th anniversary edition has black interiors doesn't it?
Yes, the first four pics are of the 80th Anniversary Edition and the last three pics including the interior belongs to the Longitude(O).

I had mentioned it between the pics but was small enough to miss.
northstar* is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 12:20   #282
BHPian

A video review of the 80th-anniversary edition.

Video review of Limited (O)

I am wondering why the showrooms haven't received the display cars in the new colours (blue/green) that are used for marketing.

The latest update from the dealer in Kerala is that the cars for delivery will be dispatched on Feb 2.
navaneeth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 13:15   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navaneeth View Post
I am wondering why the showrooms haven't received the display cars in the new colours (blue/green) that are used for marketing.

The latest update from the dealer in Kerala is that the cars for delivery will be dispatched on Feb 2.
Yes I've been waiting to see a proper close up of the Blue colour as well as the Model S.

The only major gripe I have with the pricing is with the Model S premium of 2L ex-showroom (nearly 3/3+ on road) that Jeep thinks is reasonable for what don't feel like that big value additions over the lower trim. The LED projector, ventilated seats, powered passenger seats and amplifier aside, things like a a few extras speakers, wireless charging/TPMS/cosmetic differentiation and a 360 camera don't seem to be that big a deal to add such a stiff markup to the price?. According to the review, it lacks a cooled glovebox (no means a deal breaker but wonder how difficult it would have been to add it), and it would have absolutely been a great feature IMO if the back seats could have been adjustable with recline option although yes I understand there's probably limitations with the size of the platform etc but for an SUV that now touches the 30L bracket it does have a few missing bits and bobs compared to the bigger competition.

In fact I wonder if there's a good video to show just how much on information and features the digital display on the instrument cluster of the Limited/80th edition can show in comparison to the one on the Model S. If I'm not mistaken, the connected features and app support/diagnostics etc are common to all the trims right?

Edit: I tried calling and sent an email to the Goa dealer for the price details and breakup for the Compass but received no response. Nobody answered the call nor replied to the mail.

In case any members from Goa can help with the pricing, I'd be grateful!

Last edited by Vandit : 31st January 2021 at 13:18. Reason: Additional info
Old 1st February 2021, 00:04   #284
rbp
BHPian

Jeep sales team called me from Mumbai, I had registered my number on their website, I specifically asked for a test drive of model S. The guy stumped me when he asked, "Sir, will you buy the vehicle if we give you good discount". I was like as I did not mention anything about the pricing. I guess he had called a lot of buyers and they must have complained about the high price. The guy already was playing on backfoot.
rbp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 00:27   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Jeep sales team called me from Mumbai, I had registered my number on their website, I specifically asked for a test drive of model S. The guy stumped me when he asked, "Sir, will you buy the vehicle if we give you good discount". I was like as I did not mention anything about the pricing. I guess he had called a lot of buyers and they must have complained about the high price. The guy already was playing on backfoot.
Hahaha. That's just sounds like bad sales training!
In any case the sales guys in Mumbai do seem like they don't know what they need to do! I had pre-booked my facelift sometime early December. I followed up quite a bit asking for a TD of the 2020 AT models but at the moment they did not have stock and I wanted to see how the facelift turns out so did not bother or follow up post that. Then when the facelift was finally announced early Jan, I checked again for TD and the SA did not have much info on it which was understandable since FCA was probably withholding that information!
But when the pricing was finally announced I wanted to know the OTR price in Mumbai the SA again was clueless. I finally got the pricing details of all the variants online and probably via this thread. Throughout all this the SA has mostly been clueless or not really trying to keep in touch. I was someone who in sales parlance be called a 'HOT LEAD' because I have been reaching out to them as much as possible instead of the other way round. But now due to lack of communication/updates from them about TD I am turning into a 'WARM LEAD' day by day. I have heard that TDs will start from 2nd Feb (again via this thread or from other online sources) but if I do not get updates about it before that then I am going to lose interest.
scarezebra is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks