Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2021, 17:37   #346
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

I am still not able to get a delivery timeline from Jeep. The dealer is saying that "the car will be billed today and delivery will happen in 7 days" for the last 2 days. I trust the dealer and I believe them when they say they are not getting confirmation from FCA.

Meanwhile, Carwale's video review of the new Compass.

navaneeth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:02   #347
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass facelift diesel automatic review by Overdrive

Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:58   #348
BHPian

Jeep Compass Review by MotorOctane:

techdarshan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 14:46   #349
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I have just managed to get through the process of going for a Model S via the company lease route. I am going for the Tech Metallic Green colour. I have got my internal company approvals in place and am leasing it via ALD. This is how my calculations look vis-a-vis an outright purchase:

Outright purchase assuming 5L down payments and loan payments:

Name:  Screenshot from 20210212 143902.png
Views: 3307
Size:  25.4 KB

Please note that I have subtracted the IDV from the overall costs.

Leasing costs:
Name:  Screenshot from 20210212 144449.png
Views: 3197
Size:  6.6 KB

As you can see, even assuming a 50% depreciated value on the car at the end of 5 years, leasing works out cheaper due to tax benefits. Add the reality of much accelerated depreciation due to electric vehicles, leasing is working out perfectly for me. I will post my journey starting with owning this vehicle once the I get the delivery. I must admit, without the option of lease, this car was way beyond my reach!
saumitra_joshi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 21:08   #350
BHPian

Long post here!

I have been car hunting in the 30+ segment for more than a year now. Major part of the time went into waiting for the facelifts. Since the beginning, the contenders were Jeep Compass and Hyundai Tucson ( wanted an SUV all along).
Come January I pre-booked the new compass the moment the car was unveiled! The interior looked ravishing and the exterior never had anything to complain about anyway! Plus the car for a projected price of 31 OTR for the top model at the time was a good deal. I had already started to dream about road tripping to Ladakh with fellow jeepers! By then I had already abandoned the Tucson. But then the price reveal happened. 35 lacs for the top model!! It blew the wind out of my sails! This in fact made me reconsider Tucson!

Went for Tucson's TD first! The vehicle does look stunning in person especially the head and the tail lights and the curvy shape give the car a good presence. But once you sit inside the car it’s all a disappointment. The facelift does feel like a sorry attempt to stay with time. There are scratchy plastics here and there. In short, the car doesn’t give you a premium feel. The car has swift acceleration but a vague steering and weird brakes take the experience down a notch. The car was outright rejected by family. Practical in all sense but low on aspirational value.
After days of postponing, Jeep finally got their test drive vehicles ready and I went for one at the Worli showroom. Meanwhile I came across a post in the ŠKODA Superb thread about good discounts going on and thus decided to check superb along too.

Following were the take aways from the 2021 compass 4x4 AT anniversary edition

Exteriors:
Loved the new paint treatment on the cladings! Gives the car a better personality and upmarket feel!*Though the headlights with their DRLs could have been better. Now a days every car has a signature LED pattern which gives it a persona and you can figure the car out just by looking at the lights from one’s rear view mirror. Jeep sort of missed that I guess.
The sheet metal work is as great as ever giving you a super reassuring feel.

Interior:
The overall ambiance has improved by leaps and bounds. It probably is the benchmark in its segment( if there’s one) now. The music system on the second to top variant was sooo good I can’t imagine how good the alpine system must sound. But once you get over that awe you start feeling that the interior is not as well put together as the sturdy chassis and sheet metal. The door handles creak on hard press, the power window switches lack good tactile feel, the centre console is shaky. This totally gave me a feeling that the car will start rattling and squeaking in no time. This was enough to get me discouraged. And then there was the boot which is not practical for a car whose USP is to go explore!

Drive:
The drive was short as there was too much traffic but I did get to push the car a few times. The car doesn’t feel quick probably because of the auto box. The power figures on paper somehow don’t translate on the road. The engine clearly lacks refinement for a car of this price.

I might be nitpicking but when you pay as much as what Jeep demands, you tend to quite often.

Cut to ŠKODA Superb.
The moment you get into it’s cabin, you realise what it means to be a segment above. The car exudes plushness. It literally glides over the road. So smooth. So refined. Power on tap. 0-100 in less that 8 seconds; and you can actually feel it. Light steering that weighs up really well. The car has tons of space and features including some aspirational ones which each one of us as kids would have imagined: like the headlight washer system or self drying umbrellas or the gimmicky park assist and what not. The only downside being the mileage and the ground clearance.

So hear I am as confused as ever. On this end there is this car which you can take anywhere without a second thought and then there is this looker, a segment above, luxurious and sporty car just a few lacs more expensive ( I came across this good deal). The Jeep with it’s Jeep life program and enthusiastic Jeepers is enticing in itself but what the car lacks IMHO is the vague pricing. There’s a difference of 15 lacs between the base and the top model, thus limiting the exclusivity. It tries to woo buyers from two separate segments making things messy and defining itself properly.
I’ll Update you on what the final decision is!
I feel there are a lot of buyers who are going through a similar thought process right now! May the force be with you.
Jash2709 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 22:25   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Long post here!

So hear I am as confused as ever. On this end there is this car which you can take anywhere without a second thought and then there is this looker, a segment above, luxurious and sporty car just a few lacs more expensive ( I came across this good deal). The Jeep with it’s Jeep life program and enthusiastic Jeepers is enticing in itself but what the car lacks IMHO is the vague pricing. There’s a difference of 15 lacs between the base and the top model, thus limiting the exclusivity. It tries to woo buyers from two separate segments making things messy and defining itself properly.
I’ll Update you on what the final decision is!
I feel there are a lot of buyers who are going through a similar thought process right now! May the force be with you.
Depends on what your needs are. If you are an person who goes any-where frequently and that's your priority, buy the Jeep. It will be an compromise on space.

If your drives are primarily in city and need an family car, there is no comparison to superb.
pk1972 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 22:50   #352
BHPian

@Jash2709, I am in the same situation as you. Hard for me to find alternative vehicles to the Compass in the 30-35 lakh segment. I own a Volkswagen Jetta, the car is 9 years old now, and I've faced a lot of issues related to poor service center quality and premature wear of mechanical parts. I can easily say that the ownership was anything but cheap. I can only imagine how it would be (for me), if I went ahead for a Skoda Superb/ Volkswagen Tiguan for that matter. In comparison to my Jetta, My Humble Fiat Punto Evo has been through all sorts of roads, was involved in 2 minor accidents and still there has not been a single rattle to date. In my view, It was justified for me to go for a FCA product based on quality. I don't want to invest in another German and suffer due to poor service back up. In contrast, my local Fiat dealer is very efficient and friendly.
Harsha89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 23:17   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumitra_joshi View Post
As you can see, even assuming a 50% depreciated value on the car at the end of 5 years, leasing works out cheaper due to tax benefits.
All the best for the new car - you will need to consider perquisite tax in your company lease calculation.

Works out to an additional 3300*60= 198,000.
JishD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 00:01   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsha89 View Post
@Jash2709, I am in the same situation as you. Hard for me to find alternative vehicles to the Compass in the 30-35 lakh segment. I own a Volkswagen Jetta, the car is 9 years old now, and I've faced a lot of issues related to poor service center quality and premature wear of mechanical parts. I can easily say that the ownership was anything but cheap. I can only imagine how it would be (for me), if I went ahead for a Skoda Superb/ Volkswagen Tiguan for that matter. In comparison to my Jetta, My Humble Fiat Punto Evo has been through all sorts of roads, was involved in 2 minor accidents and still there has not been a single rattle to date. In my view, It was justified for me to go for a FCA product based on quality. I don't want to invest in another German and suffer due to poor service back up. In contrast, my local Fiat dealer is very efficient and friendly.
I know right! Compass doesn’t seem value for money once it crosses 28-30 lacs
Regarding the service from the VW group, I am scared too, but then again I have had positive reviews from a lot of people. So in the end it would probably be a leap of faith!

Ps FCA stories are just as scary
Jash2709 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 01:25   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the service from the VW group,
Bit off topic -

Just out of curiosity, why not consider Karoq? It is a SUV as per your preference, great build quality and good performance too. It’s going to be available again very soon.

As far as service of Volkswagon group is concerned, my personal experience has been rather good. I m sure there are few bad ownership experiences but there has been lot of positivity (including this forum) around Volkswagon group lately.
Old 13th February 2021, 08:24   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Bit off topic -

Just out of curiosity, why not consider Karoq? It is a SUV as per your preference, great build quality and good performance too. It’s going to be available again very soon.
Hasn't Karoq been removed from the Skoda website itself? How are you sure it's going to be available? And Skoda service is not great to talk about either.
Old 13th February 2021, 08:35   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Bit off topic -

As far as service of Volkswagon group is concerned, my personal experience has been rather good. I m sure there are few bad ownership experiences but there has been lot of positivity (including this forum) around Volkswagon group lately.

Skoda SA to me: “ Sir Skoda had issues in past because the cars were CBU and it took 2-3 weeks to import the parts and if the parts are damaged, it will take another 2-3 weeks “.

Since Karoq is CBU, I think the same can happen.
Old 13th February 2021, 09:34   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the service from the VW group, I am scared too, but then again I have had positive reviews from a lot of people. So in the end it would probably be a leap of faith!

Ps FCA stories are just as scary
As a VW owner, I have a slightly different take. VW service in Mumbai at least through Shaman has been a very pleasant experience overall for me. I've always had the GT well cared for and spares were never a problem. Even their services have been very very good. When I settled on the GT in 2017, I received all sorts of advice on their poor service reputation and issues with DSG etc but 4 years down the line I have had no major issues with them at all *touch wood* . I'm not sure if the same holds true for Skoda but at least for VW I'm firmly in the happy camp.

The primary issue I see with all of us potential Jeep customers in the market for a new vehicle is the pricing and those reinforces the fact that the main issue boils down to the pricing. Like the comparison I put together clearly shows the 2.5lakh difference between the Model S and the Anniversary edition is quite difficult to fathom for what appear to be just 3/4 major incremental features.

I agree that they overshot the sweet spot with the pricing. Even 28lakh on road on the Model Swould have probably made it a no brainer in my opinion but 30 and above was just too much.

A potential buyer who can afford 30/35 lakhs on a car always has the potential to stretch a bit more and step into a segment above.

Last edited by Vandit : 13th February 2021 at 09:35.
Vandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 09:36   #359
BHPian

Hello,
Booked a Galaxy Blue Model S AT yesterday. SA said delivery would take approximately 2 months. Isn't it a bit too much? I think it is more of a supply issue than a demand one.
Bineet_D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 09:54   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bineet_D View Post
Hello,
Booked a Galaxy Blue Model S AT yesterday. SA said delivery would take approximately 2 months. Isn't it a bit too much? I think it is more of a supply issue than a demand one.
I was informed of a March 2nd week delivery date (Probably). I have gone for a Techno Green S-Variant Diesel Auto.
Harsha89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed