Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 10:53   #436
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

With my Thar delivery getting delayed and not happening anytime soon, I started reconsidering the Compass again. I know both these cars are not the same but I have been having mental wars to find the right balance between urban comfort and the extent of extreme road trips (although few) I will be able to do with the Thar. To be honest, I don't know whether I will be more happy being cocooned in a nice comfy car after a hectic day in office for most part of the year (~300 days in a year) or doing those winter drives in Spiti (~7-14 days in a year) and 'reclaiming' my life altogether. And I change my car once in almost 10 years so it's very important I get the right car.
Also, I am considering the 4x2 Compass since the auto is not nice and way out of my budget.

About Compass, it has been an object of desire for the longest time I can think of. I remember visiting their showroom in 2017 to check out the car during launch. Since then it has been an on-off relationship with the Compass being mostly out of my budget. I was again quite disappointed with the pricing of the facelift but last weekend I decided to check it out and visited the showroom.

Quite frankly, I was blown away when I saw and felt the new interiors. These improvements along with a great Diesel engine actually make a good case for me personally.

To conclude, now I am sitting on the fence whether to forget about the winter drives and go for an urban crawler ~ 4x2 Compass (Longitude Option) or retain my booking for the Thar. Not sure what to do.

P.S: The Longitude Option variant I am looking at comes to around 23L OTR in Kolkata.

Last edited by Pancham : 24th February 2021 at 11:00.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:35   #437
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass Facelift unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post

To conclude, now I am sitting on the fence whether to forget about the winter drives and go for an urban crawler ~ 4x2 Compass (Longitude Option) or retain my booking for the Thar. Not sure what to do.

P.S: The Longitude Option variant I am looking at comes to around 23L OTR in Kolkata.
Hey @Pancham, I was sailing in the same boat in December 2020, when I first saw the Thar in metal, I was blown away by the looks. Like I had a real crush on it. But I decided to go with the Jeep Compass 4X2 Limited Plus Diesel 2.0 MT
I too, like you wanted to keep this car for 8-10 years and since it was going to be my primary car, I wanted it to be complete and not lacking in some basic stuff.

So here's my list of pros and cons

Thar Pros
1. Incredible looks and road presence - you'll be in love with it for a long time
2. Extreme off-road capability (I wouldn't have used more than 10-20% of this capability) - but we all know the fun that can be had in this car
3. Decent drivability in the city - also easy enough to park

Thar Cons
1. Bad high-speed and highway manners
2. Okay music system
3. No boot space
4. No rear doors and windows
5. Fun to drive off-road, but not so much on the road

JC Pros
1. Great looks - butch yet sophisticated
2. Great brand
3. Premium experience (even in the outgoing 2020 model, I'm sure the 2021 feels even more premium)
4. Driving dynamics - fantastic corner carver, great steering, so well poised on the highway
5. Power - that surge of power in the third gear is awesome
6. Good space in the car and a great set of the features
7. No compromises like rear doors / windows, like in the Thar
8. Road Trip Car - it's made for long roadtrips, within the first two weeks of getting it, I did a Gurgaon-Jaisalmer road trip and covered around 2000 km. Loved driving every second of it.
9. City drivability is great too

JC Cons
1. Price - it's way more expensive than the Thar
2. Capability - the 4X2 won't be as capable as a Thar obviously - but you still can do mild off roading in in - should be more than enough for a summer road trip to Spiti and Ladakh

Also, for those winter road trips you can rent a Thar from Zoomcar or whoever. I know it's not the same as doing it in your own car, but well.
Enjoy this phase of decision making, it's the best.

Last edited by fast&curious : 24th February 2021 at 12:40.
fast&curious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 13:10   #438
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Thar is truly desirable and an aspirational product and will surely feel at home in Spiti. However, it is strictly a 2-people plus luggage car for such trips. If you foresee more than 2 people in your trips, the Compass is a better option provided you consider the 4x4 variant.

The Compass 4x4 bridges the gap rather well between conventional SUVs (4/5 pax plus luggage) and decent off-roadability.

Isuzu V Cross could be a wild-card entrant once the BS6 variants are officially available in India.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 13:26   #439
BHPian

While there have been some posts on this thread about delivery delays in the facelifted JC, one of my friends who booked the car (Limited Automatic-White Colour) around 10th Feb , has been informed that the car is now at the stockyard. He's going for the PDI on the weekend.

Incidentally, this is now the third friend of mine who has bought a JC after I bought my Petrol Automatic Longitude Plus in Aug2020. Driving the car (apart from TD) with me and the overall feel / presence of the car on the road has made all 3 of them finalise the purchase.

Cheers
Amkam
AMKAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:24   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post
Hey @Pancham, I was sailing in the same boat in December 2020, when I first saw the Thar in metal, I was blown away by the looks. Like I had a real crush on it. But I decided to go with the Jeep Compass 4X2 Limited Plus Diesel 2.0 MT
I too, like you wanted to keep this car for 8-10 years and since it was going to be my primary car, I wanted it to be complete and not lacking in some basic stuff.
Ditto my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&curious View Post

Also, for those winter road trips you can rent a Thar from Zoomcar or whoever. I know it's not the same as doing it in your own car, but well.
Enjoy this phase of decision making, it's the best.
This thought did cross my mind but like you said (1) doing it with your own car is always a better experience and (2) driving a rented/abused Thar in unknown treacherous territory is a HUGE risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The Thar is truly desirable and an aspirational product and will surely feel at home in Spiti. However, it is strictly a 2-people plus luggage car for such trips. If you foresee more than 2 people in your trips, the Compass is a better option provided you consider the 4x4 variant.

The Compass 4x4 bridges the gap rather well between conventional SUVs (4/5 pax plus luggage) and decent off-roadability.

Isuzu V Cross could be a wild-card entrant once the BS6 variants are officially available in India.
The issue is, I am not really looking to stretch my budget for a 4X4. I am already a lot stretched from the Thar to a Compass (~8L). Considering the Auto box is not that good (I have driven it) it just takes away whatever little value you get after paying 30 big ones.

Last edited by Pancham : 24th February 2021 at 14:33.
Pancham is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 18:41   #441
BHPian

Is the issue with the diesel auto or the petrol auto? Which of the 2 auto's is better? I thought the diesel was the best of the 2?

Also isn't the petrol auto a little heavy on fuel apart from being the not so great tuned one??

Just a bit confused as to which version has the bad rep between the 2
Old 24th February 2021, 20:19   #442
BHPian

I don't think Jeep diesel auto is that bad as it is made out to be ..in normal city or highway driving conditions. If you drive the car in your routine driving manner than it is as good as others. I have driven Endeavour 3.2 auto in city and Compass and didn't find much difference . Cannot comment on Harrier and new Safari as have not driven them.
By the way is it the same ZF gearbox that is in BMW's or some other. If this is the same g.box than why can't this be tuned to be driven aggressively .
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 20:36   #443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
I don't think Jeep diesel auto is that bad as it is made out to be. By the way is it the same ZF gearbox that is in BMW's or some other. If this is the same g.box than why can't this be tuned to be driven aggressively .
The ZF9 in the Jeep compass is their lower cost transmission meant for smaller engines that are transverse mounted and front wheel drive with AWD on demand.

The ZF8 found in the BMW's is a flagship gearbox from ZF designed to handle 1000Nm torque in some models and is meant for longitudinal mounted engines. It is for RWD with AWD variants that send power to the front.

The only difference is that they have the ZF in the name but entirely different technology and design.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_9HP_transmission

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 05:19   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With my Thar delivery getting delayed and not happening anytime soon, I started reconsidering the Compass again.

Also, I am considering the 4x2 Compass since the auto is not nice and way out of my budget.

Given your various predicament, may I suggest a third alternative.

I take it that in a perfect world, you would like to have automatic, 4x4 (or AWD), comfortable seating combined with the ability to do more extreme stuff and a well engineered product. Given all of the above, and considering you are not getting several of the above (in your budget) in either the Thar or the 4x2 manual Compass, please consider whether you would be open to waiting for the all new Mahindra XUV 5OO AWD A/T. You keep your cars 8-10 years so I feel waiting a few months should not be a deterrent.

You seem ok to buy the Mahindra brand.
This will be a larger more sophisticated product.
It may not have Thar levels of brute 4x4 capability but is likely to give a good automatic combined with AWD or 4x4 capability at a price too that will most likely be much cheaper than the 4x4 Jeep Compass A/T and perhaps not too much more than the 4x2 manual version of the Compass . It can seat more than two in comfort unlike the Thar, will likely be more mature in its ride and handling and will in fact be a better size than even the Compass.

Seems to me the XUV 5OO will be the closest to fulfill most if not all of your requirements and likely at a price that will work for you too.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 10:28   #445
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Compass review with mild Off-road test by PowerDrift

Last edited by Venkatesh : 25th February 2021 at 10:56.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 11:11   #446
BHPian

New Ad... Looks good! Not as great as the Tata Safari ad but still good enough!

scarezebra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 18:12   #447
BHPian

Hi everyone!
I have been considering JC Limited AT (petrol) for last few weeks. Given we are now almost at end of Feb, i wonder if i should wait a few weeks more for a potential year ending discount in March?
Any advice/ thoughts? i aske this coz i had paid the booking amount earlier. My SA called me a few days ago that the vehicle has been allotted and i have 5 days to make payment else they will need to allocate it to next person in queue.

Hence the question is the wait for a few more weeks worthwhile hoping for discount while taking the risk of a delayed delivery.

Thanks in advance for the advice
Old 25th February 2021, 18:17   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libocta View Post
Hi everyone!
I have been considering JC Limited AT (petrol) for last few weeks. Given we are now almost at end of Feb, i wonder if i should wait a few weeks more for a potential year ending discount in March?
Any advice/ thoughts? i aske this coz i had paid the booking amount earlier. My SA called me a few days ago that the vehicle has been allotted and i have 5 days to make payment else they will need to allocate it to next person in queue.

Hence the question is the wait for a few more weeks worthwhile hoping for discount while taking the risk of a delayed delivery.

Thanks in advance for the advice
If SA is saying they will allocate the car to next person, means they have enough booking. I don't think that this will see too many discounts so close to launch, probably the discounts will come in only by diwali/year end. My suggestion would be to stick to your booking and enjoy driving the car.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 18:58   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
I don't think Jeep diesel auto is that bad as it is made out to be ..in normal city or highway driving conditions. If you drive the car in your routine driving manner than it is as good as others. I have driven Endeavour 3.2 auto in city and Compass and didn't find much difference . Cannot comment on Harrier and new Safari as have not driven them.
By the way is it the same ZF gearbox that is in BMW's or some other. If this is the same g.box than why can't this be tuned to be driven aggressively .
Thanks for this. Any idea about the petrol auto? The general feedback I've seen about the petrol is that it's not particularly efficient but I'm not sure if that's the auto or the manual that people usually report it with.

I've had several folks tell me that if I'm considering the Jeep, the 4x4 Diesel MT is preferred, followed by the auto. If I don't need the 4x4 then the Petrol auto should be the last in order of preference.
Vandit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 19:13   #450
BHPian

Hello everybody, we pre booked JC 2021 . Had been researching since mid 2019. Will write separately about the process we went through a detailed post. Coming back to the booking- we eventually zeroed on the JC 2021 , Petrol DDCT Limited variant - Techno green .

Out SA was proactive - informed us about the blue variant in Worli and the green one in the workshop. We made sure to see both and threw water on the dusty Green one to get sure before zeroing. We also had very long discussions on the utility and maintainance of sunroof. Both , my wife and me did separate TDs too.
We got a call today that our car has been alloted . We get the VIN number tomorrow. We purchasing for the accessories package and extended warranty . Also chose the PpF on prone areas and the bonnet. Opinions?? (FyI - I referred to the thread on PPf on teamBHP) . Delivery mostly in first week of March. Fingers crossed.
CarEnthusiast10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed