Old 10th September 2021, 13:04   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

MG Hector Facelift CVT Review:

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 06:05   #137

Hi,

Has anyone installed 360° camera setup in lower variant of Hector ? Could not find any videos on YouTube. Planning to go for the Shine variant.

Thanks in advance !!
Old 20th October 2021, 08:17   #138

Finally took the plunge. Booked Hector Shine CVT Black yesterday. SA promised the car in 5 weeks time.
*Discount demanded & is offered ₹5000/- off only
*Insurance will be offered with par to online quotes on final payment

Now will have to find ways (aftermarket) to:
1) de-chrome exteriors
2) exchange alloys & tires to one size bigger
3) install 360° camera
4) install auto IRVM
5) install sequential indicators in front & back
6) change speakers (maybe later)
Car Stalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 14:12   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Stalker View Post
Finally took the plunge. Booked Hector Shine CVT Black yesterday. SA promised the car in 5 weeks time.
*Discount demanded & is offered ₹5000/- off only
*Insurance will be offered with par to online quotes on final payment

Now will have to find ways (aftermarket) to:
1) de-chrome exteriors
2) exchange alloys & tires to one size bigger
3) install 360° camera
4) install auto IRVM
5) install sequential indicators in front & back
6) change speakers (maybe later)
Congratulations! I have also booked Hector Shine CVT in Havana grey color yesterday.

5 week delivery time is sweet, here in Delhi the best that SA promised was 8 weeks.

The addition/deletion list for me consists of:
1. Electric folding ORVMs.
2. LED cabin lights.
3. Real parcel tray.
4. 7D floor mats.
5. Rear window blinds.

Last edited by TheVegabond : 24th October 2021 at 14:13.
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 18:50   #140
BHPian

MG Motor India presents a personalized Hector to Tokyo Paralympics winner Bhavina Patel.

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-267151248_10158458193592727_2862373165235043718_n.jpg
r-a-s is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 23:41   #141

MG Hector 2021: Buying experience and 13,000KMs update

Hi All, this is going to be my first post on TeamBHP. I have been an avid reader for last 18 months and gained a lot of knowledge & insights about automotive industry. Though I am still a novice in this regards, but it has given me essential & basic knowledge about how to judge cars and make more informed decisions.

I will keep this post crisp so that it relates to my experience & has minimum overlap with other posts/forums. I won’t be talking much about NVH/steering feedback/engine refinement etc. as these have already been covered extensively.

Reason of buying a car - I was getting married in Feb 2021 and wanted a safe car for family. 
Past drive was my father’s owned Alto K10 (2015). So, doesn’t matter what I buy, it definitely would have been a significant upgrade over Alto K10.

Budget - 10-20L INR. (A very wide range I know!) I did however had a hard stop at 20L INR as I would be taking loan for it wanted to keep my EMIs manageable.

What mattered to me the most-
1. Safety - Wanted to have a safe car as I would be having regular commute on Delhi-Jaipur route. (GNCAP/NCAP doesn’t matter to me much)
2. Bells & Whistles - While to a true automotive fan, these things doesn’t matter. However considering my age (<30) and I want to keep car for minimum of 7-8 years, I wanted to get all features I can. (Ventilated seat was my priority)
3. Spacious - We as a family somehow always end up with too much of luggage to carry.
4. Manual Transmission - I was against automatic car. Though they are very easy to drive, but I am not looking for that comfort in this age. Even my dad (60+) can drive cars very easily. He is fitter than I am. Hence, automatics were ruled out.
5. Showroom driven car - In family, there is still not much acceptance of buying 2nd hand cars.

What didn’t matter to me-
1. Petrol vs Diesel (Neither too high running nor too low) - Expected was 12K KMs per year.
2. Brand - Except Maruti, I was open to all brands
3. Fuel Economy - Unless it’s as low as 6-8KMPL. Anything above 10 was good for me.

Cars shortlisted/TDed-
1. Seltos/Creta - First car which comes to everyone’s mind.
1. Pros -
1. Didn’t feel bulky to dive at all.
2. Responsiveness of turbo engine
3. All bells & whistles
4. Ventilated seats in my desired trim
2. Cons -
1. Not a car for 5 people
2. Boot space on paper looks good, but not practical. (My cousin owns a seltos and it can’t fit 3 trolleys)
3. Creta didn’t had a manual for top model (only DCT). Reliability? 

2. Sonet/Venue/Nexon -
1. Pros -
1. Nothing substantial as per my requirement
2. Cons -
1. Wasn’t spacious at all
2. Felt that steering was coming into my chest every time I got in the car or got out of it
3. Very expensive top models (~15-16L INR). 

3. Harrier -
1. Pros -
1. Extremely spacious (felt a segment higher than Creta/Seltos)
2. Amazing looking panoramic sunroof
3. Discounts available on 2020 model
4. Handbrake <3
2. Cons -
1. Top model didn’t had discounts and was 20L+
2. Huge blind spots owing to A pillars & C pillars (Wasn’t feeling confident in test drive despite having 9+ years of driving experience)
3. IRVM & ORVM weren’t giving enough rear view. (A huge negative for me as I look a lot in IRVMs & ORVMs while driving)
4. No ventilated seats

4. MG Hector - No it wasn’t considered at that time.

In Dec month, after a lot of thoughts, decided to go ahead with Seltos GTX+ trim. Despite obvious negatives. Was offered a delivery date of First week of Feb (right before wedding).

In Jan first week, saw announcement of MG Hector facelift and found that it has improved significantly in terms of features over ongoing model and decided that I will definitely have a look over this.
The very next day I went to the showroom along with my dad. Saw the car in flesh and had a TD of the previous model. Spoke to SA over phone, he mentioned that facelift is in showroom and can visit anytime. Made an appointment and showed up at the scheduled time.

TD experience - (TD Vehicle - Sharp DCT)
- The sales executive took me to their designated TD route. I tried hard acceleration & braking. (Found enough response in both). Remember I was coming from Alto K10 experience as well.
- Pros -
- Features were all there which were offered in Seltos top model.
- Comfortable in city due to soft suspension
- High seating position (Even Fortuners were almost coming at equivalent level)
- Price - Only 40-50K difference between Seltos & Hector. On road was costing me 19.8L (Below 20)
- Cons -
- No long term reliability of brand (only 1.5 years in market as of then)
- Won’t fit in our home as out parking space was only 15ft long

There were few things which made me inclined towards Hector.
1. While it is of same dimensions as of Harrier, I didn’t face any issues in visibility which I faced in harrier.
2. Secondly, the boot was S P A C I O U S!
3. Thirdly, the new front grill looked amazing (Chrome+Piano black means maintenance hassle, however worth it).
4. Fourthly, was still in budget. Felt like going 1-2 segment above than Seltos without any incremental cost.

Booked the car the same day. White (single tone)(Sharp Hybrid MT Petrol). The SA was not aware of Single tone collar option in new model. Showed him the website, he went and checked with 1-2 people and then took the booking. (Total time taken 2-3 hours). I was promised delivery within 2 weeks.

Experience of MG was best among all brands. KIA, Hyundai, TATA showrooms didn’t had proper experience. Too much overselling at all places which I didn’t face at MG. I was okay with no discounts being offered, however the SA got me 13K benefit through lower insurance cost. I didn’t had to bargain much there.

Got delivery on 21st Jan 2021 just 12 days after delivery. PDI went smoothly as per team-bhp checklist. Post delivery went to a petrol pump for getting tank full and then visited the Moti Doongri temple in Jaipur. (Almost 100% new vehicle in Jaipur comes to the same temple for first Puja).

13,000 KMs update-
I must say that I have had a very unique experience of owning this vehicle during covid period (April-May 2021).
- Had used this as an ambulance 2-3 times. The car was able to fully accommodate an hospital stretcher with closed boot. (Front passenger seat had to be moved forward)
- I used it to regularly ferry 2-3 oxygen cylinders. I and my cousin used to load/unload. Thanks to almost flat boot, was able to do it with ease
- I had taken a family of 6 (4 adults+2kids) to airport with all their luggage (4 full size trolleys & 7-8 other hand baggages) to airport. I really wished that I had taken a pic before/after all this was loaded in the car. I had folded down one rear seat to accommodate all luggage
- The car had enough space to carry 1BHK in it and helped me when I relocated to Noida in December 2021. (8-10 cartons of stuff, luggage and everything + 2 front passengers)

I can’t think a single case out of these where seltos would have served the purpose. Hence, I think that I made the best choice between the two options.

After owning for close to 13 months & 13000 KMs later, I can list my likes & dislikes which may help others to make a better judgement-

Likes -
1. S P A C I O U S! If you are heavy traveller, definitely much better than any other car. Harrier won’t offer similar space at all.
2. Planted feel while driving. Enough traction at any point of time even on bad expressways (KMPL for example).
3. Easy to drive & manoeuvre owing to 360 degree cam
4. Responsive enough for overtakes or emergency brakes
5. Ventilated seats - I feel this is a necessity in Indian geography and should be a standard feature across all makes/models. I have used this feature almost 12 months out of 13 so far. I really can’t go to the car which doesn’t have ventilated seats.
6. Panaromic sunroof - Though not very useful in our environment, however gives a very airy feeling just by looking through the glass. Used extensively in winters and on my trip to Uttarakhand.
7. Rain sensing wipers - The speed of wipers varied depending upon rain intensity & vehicle speed. Works 9/10 times like a charm. There have been very rare instances where I had to control them manually.
8. No lock/unlock button inside. If the car is running all doors get locked. To unlock, either turn off the ignition which will unlock all doors. Or, pull lever to open any door. In first pull, the door gets unlocked and on second pull, the gate opens. 
I haven’t tried what happens if one tries to open while car is being driven. 
This one is a bit safety concern as well as there is no manual override. If electronics fail then what?

Dislikes -
1. Soft suspension - While it was very comfortable at first, now the car feels bouncy
2. Laggy infotainment system. Sometimes it doesn’t pick up inputs. Very difficult to use even by passenger when car is being driven on poor roads.
3. No manual AC controls. All are through screen. Can’t control AC unless the infotainment comes to life which sometimes even takes upto 40-45 seconds.
4. 215/55 R18 tyres. Should have 235/60 at least.
5. Goodyear tyres makes a lot of noise. Can feel at avg highway speeds. This is the only noise I don’t like in car.

I am deliberately not covering points like NVH, storage space, boot light/puddle lamps etc. as there is nothing new to add there.

Overall verdict - Satisfied with the purchase. Though I am planning something for the suspensions in near future.

One thing I noticed on MG Hector owner group on FB was about extremely poor fuel economy. I haven’t faced it. I am getting 10-14 in city and 15-21 on highways consistently. In one trip of 190KMs, I got an economy of 21.3KMPL as per MG app. My tank to tank economy is very similar to what is shown by App.
Will post screenshot of it if I find it somewhere.
I drive usually at 36PSI tyre pressure. (It does lead to bit harsh ride comfort, however fuel economy shoots up). Once a petrol pump filled it upto 42PSI, no alarms on TPMS even when TPMS reading was 46PSI at 40 degree Celsius temperature.

This was my first post here. I am sure the flow might seem a bit inconsistent. MODS do let me know on how can I improve further so as to make more meaningful contribution in future. And I hope that I have added value to the forum by listing out new things about the car
Reckoner is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 13:49   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
[b]I drive usually at 36PSI tyre pressure. (It does lead to bit harsh ride comfort, however fuel economy shoots up). Once a petrol pump filled it upto 42PSI, no alarms on TPMS even when TPMS reading was 46PSI at 40 degree Celsius temperature.
Welcome to the forum mate, and thank you for sharing your experience.

Please do reconsider overinflating tyres. Doing so makes them lose grip more easily and it could be a disaster in an emergency. It reduces the contact patch with the road. 46psi isn't a minor increase. And you already noted that the Hector runs on somewhat slim tyres anyway.

Risking lives - one's own, family's and other's on the street - would not be worth an increase in fuel economy, IMO.

Cheers.
Old 8th March 2022, 16:35   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Please do reconsider overinflating tyres. Doing so makes them lose grip more easily and it could be a disaster in an emergency. It reduces the contact patch with the road. 46psi isn't a minor increase. And you already noted that the Hector runs on somewhat slim tyres anyway.
Cheers.
Yes, I do agree with you. 46PSI was one off incident after which I have stopped getting air filled at petrol pumps. I have got myself a tyre inflator and I keep the pressure at 36PSI for city driving.
Old 8th March 2022, 17:59   #144
BHPian

15000 KM update

My Diesel Sharp Hector went for 3rd free service. It includes first ever oil/filters change since I bought the car.
Issues I reported:-

1. TPMS of rear left was acting up sometimes.
2. Wheel alignment

These were fixed and regular service was done. Total damages were Rs 687/- as I have AMC till 75K kms. These 687 were primarily for refill of 10L adblue.

Happy with service and the Clean & Shiney �� car delivered.
Attached are the pics of car and invoice.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-2d2c18b6921b485694e961671844d7f9.jpeg  

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-3625cca72f564d7f98d3a30f69b3394d.jpeg  

Old 21st March 2022, 18:33   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
15000 KM update

My Diesel Sharp Hector went for 3rd free service. It includes first ever oil/filters change since I bought the car.
First oil change at 15000km! That's a really long interval but good to see MG offering with such low maintenance.
I'm used to oil change recommendations at 5000km (mineral oil) or 10000km for synthetic oil.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 13:16   #146
BHPian

My BIL has booked the sharp Hybrid Hector and expected delivery is in first week of April-22. However he heard some news that an update to Hector is due and ADAS feature with AI smart robot can be introduced in face lifted Hector. How true is this information and when to expect this facelift? Any lead on this will be helpful for deciding current model.
Old 22nd March 2022, 14:35   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsc View Post
My BIL has booked the sharp Hybrid Hector and expected delivery is in first week of April-22. However he heard some news that an update to Hector is due and ADAS feature with AI smart robot can be introduced in face lifted Hector. How true is this information and when to expect this facelift? Any lead on this will be helpful for deciding current model.
I don't think MG will offer ADAS with Hybrid and Diesel Powertrain. They may offer it with just Petrol CVT. Because the Hybrid and Diesel are available only in Manual Transmission.

The same brand didn't give ADAS option on Astor Petrol Manual while they offered it with Petrol CVT and Turbo Petrol.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 17:01   #148
BHPian

Hector facelift expected in July. Seems like most facelifts will be hitting Indian market in Q1FY23 period.

https://www.livemint.com/auto-news/m...377097753.html
Old 27th April 2022, 14:57   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 MG Hector To Now Get Adas And More Features.

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-1.jpg

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-3.jpg

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-2.jpg

Quote:
2022 MG Hector will get a new top of the line variant, Savvy. This trim will feature ADAS that is seen on the Astor, ZS EV and Gloster. Also known as an autonomous assistance driving system, it features lane assist, adaptive cruise control, speed assist system, front collision warning and more. The new model could also be equipped with a blind-spot monitoring system.
Quote:
can expect Hector to receive a fully digital instrument cluster that not only looks modern but offer more information to the driver. There are rumours about the diesel automatic too but we can only share this with you once the official information is out from the carmaker.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 15:07   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2022 MG Hector To Now Get Adas And More Features.
It very much needs an update tbh! It used to be amongst the most popular cars 2-3 years ago and had started losing significant sales ever since the Safari came. And the XUV7OO finally, has dug up the Hector's grave and almost thrown it into it as literally no one on the internet has been talking about the hector ever since the 7OO came!

Since the Astor couldn't set the sales charts on fire and neither could the Gloster stand against the Fortuner, let's see how does MG plan to bring their bestseller back on track!

Most Viewed