Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 21:22   #16
BHPian

Re: 2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look

Do they have some kind of an "Agile" process or what?

Even software companies struggle to update their products at this pace I think

I was thinking what have MG done by installing the red plastic at the back in between tail lamps and they have already corrected to make it look more neutral! awesome execution.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 22:08   #17
BHPian

I think it is a well-thought-out update and not a mere half-hearted attempt, so I would give credit to MG for that.

On the outside, the much needed upsize of the tires have made quite a significant difference to the overall stance of the vehicle. The removal of the garish red applique connecting the two taillamps is a welcome change as well. Perhaps eliminating the insert entirely would have been better but that might have required expensive sheet metal changes, so this is a decent compromise.

On the inside, however, I think they went a bit too overboard with the beige scheme which not only looks cheesy to my eyes but is also highly impractical in our environment. Perhaps they could have left the faux leather insert in front of the co-passenger in black to balance it out a bit and the door panels could have used some more black as well, especially in the lower half.
Batfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 01:01   #18
BHPian

While the wheel size has been upgraded from 17" to 18", the tyres have been downsized from 215/60 to 215/55, meaning the diameter more or less remains the same. Are we sure the stance is better? I certainly feel, the gap between the tyres and the arch is still big.
bharathan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 08:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathan View Post
While the wheel size has been upgraded from 17" to 18", the tyres have been downsized from 215/60 to 215/55, meaning the diameter more or less remains the same. Are we sure the stance is better? I certainly feel, the gap between the tyres and the arch is still big.

Isn't that 55/60 mentioned in mm, whereas the wheel size is in inch? To conclude, tyre size decreased marginally, while wheel size increased considerably.
Old 9th January 2021, 12:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverNo.420 View Post
First OEMs removed CD players from cars in favour of Bluetooth and today they are removing USB and AUX in favour of wireless phone integration?
Alongwith wireless phone charging, what's new is the ability of the infotainment system to connect to an external WI-FI. So in Airtel's low network areas , you can use the internet on your phone.

But more importantly, what this connection to external Wi-Fi feature brings is Wireless Android Auto ( Android 11 onwards). This is a huge plus for me as I struggle with using the wired option and even a minor misalignment of the cable and the Android Auto disconnects.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 12:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I struggle with using the wired option and even a minor misalignment of the cable and the Android Auto disconnects.
+1 buddy, I hate when it happens. USB cables bought from outside start having problems after 1 month, Android Auto gets disconnected if I pick up the phone or if the car goes over a bump and phone moves around. Very frustrating. Wireless phone integration is one technological advancement that I actually like.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 14:30   #22
BHPian

The attached pics are of Chevrolet Captiva 2021 on sale here in the gulf/middle east. So, who copied/inspired who?
Attached Thumbnails
2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-2021-captiva-front.jpg  

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-2021-captiva.jpg  

wheeledsoul is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 14:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledsoul View Post

The attached pics are of Chevrolet Captiva 2021 on sale here in the gulf/middle east. So, who copied/inspired who?
It's literally the same car. The Baojun 530 is rebadged as the MG hector and Chevy Captiva in different markets.
Shreyas_H is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 17:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

The car hasn't reached dealerships. Id registered on their site and there was some quick follow up from their side (and I was impressed), but at the showroom they're asking me to check out the old model - and imagine new interiors in
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 20:01   #25
BHPian

I guess MG kind of missed the chance here. I was expecting a diesel automatic with this facelift. I hope they've fixed the lifeless steering & also the touchscreen response.
Old 10th January 2021, 20:57   #26
BHPian

Unfortunately it misses on important safety aides like collision avoidance, lane departure warning and adaptive cruise control. After seeing them arrive in MG Gloster, I was hopeful that they will trickle down into the Hector and the Seltos as well.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 16:19   #27
BHPian

I feel it's great value for money. Booked Creta then cancelled seeing the long waiting period. Now booked the white facelift DCT. Was thinking black from the heart then went with White from my brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The car hasn't reached dealerships. Id registered on their site and there was some quick follow up from their side (and I was impressed), but at the showroom they're asking me to check out the old model - and imagine new interiors in
The car is in most dealerships in white since few days already.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th January 2021 at 08:26. Reason: Please edit / multi-quote your replies instead of back to back posts. Thanks.
Old 11th January 2021, 16:59   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunster View Post
I feel it's great value for money. Booked Creta then cancelled seeing the long waiting period. Now booked the white facelift DCT. Was thinking black from the heart then went with White from my brain
If you can, do get the black.
I went with burgundy in mind, but when I saw it in black, I imagined some bits that could be painted up to completely transform the look.
Got Black.
Painted the plastic under sides, which were grey, to black, as well as the wheels. Left the thin section on the spokes silver for now, just to see if that somehow helped. However, it doesn't, and next weekend the whole wheel will be black.
Am leaving the chrome bits as they are for now, but getting the central red strip on the taillight wrapped in translucent black window film. The chrome would require for the parts to be taken off, which i dont want to do right now on a new car.
Get it in black!!
Attached Thumbnails
2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_20201225_170903-snip.jpg  

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_20201225_170939-snip.jpg  

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_20210103_130407.jpg  

2021 MG Hector Facelift : A Close Look-img_20210103_130541.jpg  

mayankk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 17:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunster View Post
Beware, you may need to own a fuel pump to run this petrol SUV. I have heard (from reliable sources) it gives something like 5.5 kmpl in the city and sometimes when in peak traffic can drop down to 3.5 kmpl that's something like 'supercar' fuel efficiency in your daily ride and would be wallet busting an way you look at it.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 17:15   #30
BHPian

Well I did check this and its really mixed. A few of my friends own a hector dct. One says the same as you do and few others say the FE is not that horrible. Depending on your driving manners it gives anywhere between 10 on city and 12-13 on a good day on Highways which is pretty ok considering its size. I am a very laid back driver and have been constantly trying to eek out every drop of fuel on my current Honda manual cvt 2012. I felt the Creta slightly bigger than the Honda did not feel like an "UPGRADE" in terms of space. Also my parents are quite aged and always complain while getting inside the Honda. Ingress and Egress is awesome on the Hector which is a blessing for me who has a lot of back pain issues. SO all in all....Hector is where it's at now.
sunster is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed