Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 13:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed

2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L unveiled.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-smartselect_20210108132756_chrome.jpg

Comes with redesigned exterior and interior, Has additional seating and more space inside. In all, the car is 5204 mm long with a wheelbase of 3091 mm. Boot space is 484 litres will all 3 rows up

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-smartselect_20210108132732_chrome.jpg

To be available in 4 variants, the dashboard is all new and houses either an 8.4-inch or 10.1-inch touchscreen based on the trim chosen.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-smartselect_20210108132722_chrome.jpg

Two engine options – a 3.6-litre V6 (290 HP and 348 Nm) and a 5.7-litre Hemi V8 (357 HP and 528 Nm) – are on offer and both come mated to an 8-speed auto gearbox. Two-wheel-drive is standard while 4-wheel-drive can be optioned.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-smartselect_20210108132740_chrome.jpg

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-smartselect_20210108132748_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 19:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed

Jeep has unveiled a long wheelbase version of the Grand Cherokee called as the Grand Cherokee L.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-2021jeepgrandcherokee_100776225_h.jpg

The design of the Grand Cherokee L is inspired by the Grand Wagoneer concept. It comes with a typical 7-slat grille with sleek looking headlamps and an overall imposing front fascia. The rear features slim LED tail lamps, while the rear bumper houses twin chrome-tipped exhausts.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-2021jeepgrandcherokee_100776217_h.jpg

The Grand Cherokee L comes with 3-rows of seats in either 6 or 7-seat configuration. It comes with a 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster and a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit based on the Uconnect 5 operating system. Other features include night vision camera, drowsiness detection, rearview camera, traffic sign recognition and head-up display.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-2021jeepgrandcherokee_100776224_h.jpg

In the US market, the Grand Cherokee L is offered with a 3.6-litre Pentastar V6 engine producing 286 BHP and 350 Nm and a 5.7-litre HEMI V8 with 352 BHP and 530 Nm. There are three types of 4x4 systems on offer - Quadra-Trac-I, Quadra-Trac-II and Quadra-Drive-II. In Europe, the SUV could get a plug-in hybrid powertrain option.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-2021jeepgrandcherokee_100776267_h.jpg

The SUV comes equipped with air-suspension which can raise the ride height by up to 60 mm or lower it by up to 46 mm. It uses active engine mounts and the front axle is bolted on to the engine. This setup is claimed to reduce cabin noise.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-2021jeepgrandcherokee_100776268_h.jpg

The Grand Cherokee L is said to be one of the four new SUVs that Jeep has lined-up for India. It is to be locally assembled using completely knocked down kits (CKD).
TusharK is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:16   #3
BHPian

Re: India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed

This looks really elegant and butchy at the same time, Kudos to the designers for pulling out something like this.

To BMW,
Dear team, this is how a car should be re-designed.
Thank You.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-download.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 10th January 2021 at 12:18.
kamilharis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Jeep has unveiled a long wheelbase version of the Grand Cherokee called as the Grand Cherokee L.
Attachment 2105438
The interior seems to be of a luxury sedan, clean and classy at the same time. Wood and chrome bits are tastefully applied. No need to wear shades to escape from large screens running across the dash, which sadly becoming a trend these days.
Old 10th January 2021, 14:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I was never a big fan of the original Jeep Grand Cherokee. As good as the Jeep Cherokee was, the Grand Cherokee was a bit of an ugly dog and had many technical niggles.

This looks a whole lot better and I must say the interior looks very impressive!

Quote:
5.7-litre HEMI V8 with 352 BHP
Or to quote our famous Topgear boys:
Quote:
How can Americans get so little horsepower out so big a volume engine?
Actually, for these kind of cars, I think the V6 might be plenty. That Hemi probably weights a tonne, all up front too.

Not so sure about the air suspension though. These days we see it on quite a few cars. But there are not to many manufacturers that really know how to use air suspension to get you a more comfortable ride. American engineering tend not to be about finesse, so lets see. They have not really figured out the British RR/Jaguar “wafting” along sort of ride.

Certainly an interesting car to look out for.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 15:53   #6
BANNED

It doesn’t matter. By the time, this car comes to India, it will have been chopped down to the point where no more than two adults will fit into the rear rows; leg room will be tight; and the boot will be as good as non-existent when third row is being used.

And oh, we will get a puny 1.5 L engine that will wheeze and cough on inclines. To add insult to injury, this 1.5 L will give worse mileage than the 3.6 L V6.

FYI, we were at Matheran just a couple of weekends ago. An Ertiga carrying about 6 people started smoking on the incline and everyone exited in a hurry. The driver then carefully parked on the shoulder and exited to let the car cool down. Then on the way down, we saw a smoking and smouldering corpse of a Kia. Burnt to a total crisp. This car wasn’t on that road just a few hours earlier as we ascended. So, it could only have caught fire afterward.

Paying multitudes of lacs for cars that don’t have decent pulling power is completely insulting. No replacement for displacement couldn’t be a truer statement.
mohansrides is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 19:47   #7
BHPian

This looks pretty impressive, I'm sure many Indian celebrities might desire this due to its imposing looks. And this might also benefit the brand for getting free publicity and many people would aspire to get into the Jeep family.
invincii is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 19:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
It doesn’t matter. By the time, this car comes to India, it will have been chopped down to the point where no more than two adults will fit into the rear rows; leg room will be tight; and the boot will be as good as non-existent when third row is being used.
I was just thinking that a 2.2 L engine with 180 HP would be the minimum needed for this size, when I realized that no Jeep has that engine, especially in India.

When I saw the pictures, I was thinking it looks so handsome - clean lines, butch looks without that mean look, classy interiors. My hopes for an affordable, classy true SUV have been dashed!

Last edited by navin : 11th January 2021 at 12:09.
sridharj77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 20:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:

And oh, we will get a puny 1.5 L engine that will wheeze and cough on inclines. To add insult to injury, this 1.5 L will give worse mileage than the 3.6 L V6.
I’m not sure what you are talking about. Why would they chop down the car and install a smaller engine? The vehicle will come to India as a CKD, so it will invariably be similar to the model sold in international markets with the same engines. Infact, the previous gen model was sold with an FCA 3.0 V6 diesel which I’m sure will continue to be used given that there are other FCA vehicles in the US sold with Diesel engines. Don’t be surprised if the 3.6 V6 petrol makes it as well given the shift to petrols.
dragracer567 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 20:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the time, this car comes to India
This looks like a luxury release. At 5200 mm length, its not a mass market car by any means. Probably going to priced on the 7-10 million rupee mark.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 20:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
When I saw the pictures, I was thinking it looks so handsome - clean lines, butch looks without that mean look, classy interiors. My hopes for an affordable, classy true SUV have been dashed!
With all due respect, I believe you two might be confusing the Grand Cherokee L with the Compass 7 seater that Jeep might have in the pipeline.

The Grand Cherokee L will go up against the X7 and GLS, just like the standard Grand Cherokee goes up against the X5 and GLE. There's no question of it going under the knife here to meet any funny Indian regulations and unfortunately, it will be priced at par with them too (unlike in the US, where the American options are usually less expensive than the European competition), no question of it being affordable .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj77 View Post
I was just thinking that a 2.2 L engine with 180 HP would be the minimum needed for this size, when I realized that no Jeep has that engine, especially in India.
The current Compass sold in India does come with a 2L diesel with 173 bhp. This 2 tonne+ vehicle is going to need at least a 6 cylinder to be competitive.
saur95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 08:30   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Neat . I believe this is the first Grand Cherokee with 3 seat rows and about time, I say! Big SUV owners love the added utility offered by the additional seats.

Sure hope that Jeep prices this CKD well. I think it will be a viable & welcome alternative to the usual luxury SUVs from Germany. We need some variety man!

Quote:
No chance. I don't believe any CKD with minimal levels of localisation has ever been chopped for India. That doesn't happen in the 50+ lakh segment. The max localisation includes a rough road package, higher ground clearance, adjustments for dirty fuel, a more powerful air-conditioner, 80 / 120 kmph speed buzzers etc.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:40   #13
BHPian

Is there really a market for petrol-engined luxury SUVs?
Nice as it may look, I really do wonder if wealthy Indians would be willing to pay so much for a petrol-guzzling Jeep that has the perception of being not too reliable, and is likely to have a dismal resale value.
And like Jeroen has already pointed out, the horsepower is rather low for the 5.7 L V8!
Old 30th January 2021, 13:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Grand Cherokee L spotted in public for the first time in Dubai

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-smartselect_20210130132148_chrome.jpg

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-smartselect_20210130132158_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 19:26   #15
BHPian

Found this red Grand Cherokee in Dubai as well in the Karama area. It certainly feels a size or two bigger than the previous gen, almost as big as a Chevy Tahoe!

Now, I’m not sure if it’s already on sale in Dubai or if it’s being tested. It was being driven by a woman and there were no badges as you can see, not even the Grand Cherokee badge. The new one doesn’t show in the Jeep Dubai website, so can’t be sure.

India-bound Jeep Grand Cherokee L with 3-row seating revealed-a9075a1b497a4003b881ff88bcd13095.jpeg

Last edited by dragracer567 : 9th March 2021 at 19:28.
dragracer567 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks