Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 23:40   #61
BHPian

Re: December 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Great job by Tata. Hope they continue to increase their market share.

Is there also any option to understand the sales of EV's.. especially the Tata Nexon EV.
Old 13th January 2021, 00:28   #62
BHPian

Thank you Aditya for the data.
I believe everyone has covered all kinds of doubts / theories / analysis.
I just have one doubt.

What happened to Figo? Selling just one unit in December? There’s no new generation of the car coming as per rumours nor the car should get affected by the JV ordeal.
If not for the creamy, powerful, exhilarating 1.0 TSI in my Rapid, I’d have gone for the 1.5 TDCi in the Figo!

Neo

Last edited by neo_narender : 13th January 2021 at 00:29.
Old 13th January 2021, 00:41   #63
BHPian

1. Maruti: Except for Ignis, all hatchbacks doing very well. Why are they not able to sell, when baleno does 18k units ?. (I am actually contemplating buying Ignis or Santro. But these two are the worst performing mass market hatchbacks. Confused)

2. VW: I am not justifying Tiguan allspace price. But why do members consider it overpriced?. If I am not wrong, its a CBU. Also, Kodiak diesel ( when it was available) was also around the same price. Fortuner, Endeavor ( although not exactly comparable) are above 40 lacs.
Old 13th January 2021, 00:47   #64
BHPian

Eh Mods : can we pls initiate a thread with comprehensive analysis (datapoints can be common as those of monthly analysis’ thread) of the industry in the decade gone by?

Believe, the manufacturer set remains pretty much the same, with about 40% of currently sold models (City, Innova, Swift, Dzire, Vento etc) being a constant on-offer through 2010-2020.

You may pls merge this post in an appropriate thread, if any. I couldn’t find such a thread on our forum, which is why the request.

Regards,
Jigar Shah

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 13th January 2021 at 00:49. Reason: Grammar error
Old 13th January 2021, 06:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How to find out EV sales figures when there are no separate models like Kona, but main stream models include EV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chhotagujju View Post
Great job by Tata. Hope they continue to increase their market share.

Is there also any option to understand the sales of EV's.. especially the Tata Nexon EV.
Tata sold 418 Nexon EVs in December, consistent 400+ since October, garnering over 62% of the EV market.

https://www.carwale.com/news/tata-mo...december-2020/
Attached Thumbnails
December 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-indiaelectriccarsales20201068x852.jpg  

discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 09:32   #66
BHPian

I'm actually happy to see death traps aka 3 wheelers sales decline. Wish to see it the same way in future also.

It's right time for 3 wheelers to upgrade to 4 wheeled alternatives.
Old 13th January 2021, 11:18   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Luxury Car Sales in December 2020 :

-Luxury Cars Retails saw a dip of -29.1% YoY and the segment is still struggling

-Mercedes volumes fell by -27.5% in Dec’20 v/s Dec’19. However; it was able to increase its Market Share by 0.9% v/s last year.

-JLR recorded the highest Market Share fall in Dec’20 and the volumes dropped by -41% YoY

December 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:24   #68
BHPian

I think Kia is holding dispatches or ramping down production for more monetary benefits.

In 2019 December also, Seltos had exponentially increasing sales reaching 14k in November. December saw a traffic decline to 4.5k . Then from Jan 2020, it hiked again to 15k and performed normally. One thing to note that, Kia had announced a price hike for Seltos from 2020 Jan (link).

Exact same story in 2020 December. Seltos and Sonet doing decent till December, huge decline (like 50% fall) for December and another price hike to follow from Jan 2021 (link). Is this coincidence?
Old 13th January 2021, 14:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post
It is so amazing to see the same old story being repeated month after month after month. This shows 3 things.

1st - There are manufacturers lie Kia, MG, Hyundai which are cut above others in their marketing skills.

2nd - There are manufacturers like VW, Skoda, Tata, Jeep, Ford which despite making better cars are poor in their marketing skills.

3rd - There are manufacturers like Nissan, Renault which have neither good cars, nor good marketing team.

* Editors note - Team bhp readers do not constitute any meaningful chunk of car buyers in India. Here we can fill up forums by mentioning poor build quality of Seltos, Poor driving dynamics of Hector, How well 2020 Harrier has evolved, Altroz having 5 stars, Jeep Compass being so good in build quality and ride and handling, Nexon having great road stability, Engine heating issues in Seltos.... The list wil go on.

People are and will buy cars which has good marketing teams. "Internet inside", " Badass SUV", "Brit Dynamics", Mood lighting, Air purifier, ....the list goes on and it will sell. Manufacturers will continue to dish out tin cans with DRLs and Sunroofs to people until there is a law in place which forces these manufacturers to prioritize safety over anything else. Till then there is no point analyzing month on month data. This is going to be same.
Disagree, tell me how many OEM's offer DCT gearboxes mated to competent engines in the 5-15 L OTR bracket (which is the bulk of all sales)

Kia & Hyundai have a wide variety of options, the likes of the "great car makers" like VW, Ford etc don't.

Your definition of good cars and bad cars is not the same as the market and rubbishing 90% of the buyers as those not informed enough and buying into gimmicks is hubris.

Do any of the 'great car manufacturers' like VW or Ford or Skoda have even 1/10th the advantages a Maruti offers?

1) Wide dealership network
2) Extensive ASS
3) Bullet reliability and even if something goes wrong, see point 2
4) A wide spread of brands and variants within brands to ensure a prospective buyer has every need met
5) Updated platforms (even if the core platform might be dated, they roll out full updates regularly)
6) Cars that don't look dated on the inside

The only one from your list there is Tata and see how much its sales are improving because they also are now following steps 1 to 6 (minus a few niggles here and there) and coupled with high safety norms is a chart buster.

99% of the market look for one or all of the above, having a 'timeless body' and great riding dynamics (which 99% of buyer will never even test given that these are 1 car households and cars are purely functional) are irrelevant.

The day these OEM's put out competent, updated products matched by a wide dealer network coupled with reliable ASS is the day they will eat into Maruti and Hyundai shares.
Stribog is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 14:51   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
I think Kia is holding dispatches or ramping down production for more monetary benefits.
Is this coincidence?
There's more to it and as you have pointed, extra margin is one of the reasons. Another being the problem of 2020 MY cars being sold in 2021 by dealership.

Manufacturers can internally produce the cars and dispatch in 2021. This is easy for newer companies like Kia who have large infrastructure to store such inventories and they are neither under pressure on numbers due to heavy backlog of orders. Companies like Maruti Gurgaon or some of the old Mahindra plants which have some serious real estate problems. They must ship everything they produce in the same shift.
Old 13th January 2021, 22:30   #71
BHPian

It really surprises me when I see Maruti Eeco in top selling cars chart, month after month. It is largely due to the lack of competition it has in its segment. Discontinuation of Maruti Omni further helped Eeco fetch 9k-10k monthly sales numbers consistently.
Furthermore what it implies is, a lot of people buy cars which are practical and easy on pockets rather than SAFE and feature rich cars. No wonder Altos,Wagonrs,Eecos and Boleros sell in large numbers despite not being SAFE and feature rich cars.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 22:48   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Disagree, tell me how many OEM's offer DCT gearboxes mated to competent engines in the 5-15 L OTR bracket (which is the bulk of all sales)
I belong to the other 10% idiots who think that Safety, build quality and driving experience comes before after sales service, resale value, wide spread of variants, 1,2,3 GNCAP stars, DCT in 5-15 lacs bracket, cars looking fresh from inside ( mood lighting does help).

And to your question of VW, Ford, Skoda not being even 1/10th of what Maruti gives. Agreed. Maruti gives much more than these stupid manufacturers. However, what VW,Skoda,Ford gives is a big bright smile when you take them on road with an assurance that the chance of you returning back safely is 10 times more than in an Maruti/Hyundai. I will take this 1/10th every day.

We can agree to disagree.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2021 at 08:02. Reason: STRICTLY no personal jabs or attacks on Team-BHP
Roadster17 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 10:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Furthermore what it implies is, a lot of people buy cars which are practical and easy on pockets rather than SAFE and feature rich cars.
Rather than safety, I would say its the lack of options in the market. The next decent commercial vehicle after the Eeco is the D-max, which has an ex-showroom cost higher then Eeco's on-road price. Plus fabrication cost to make a box on the bed, etc.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 10:44   #74
BHPian

The way TATA is performing puts a smile on my face. No-non-sense car maker. Prioritizes safety, features and timely updates for our Indian market unlike other foreign brands. This isn't an overnight success. TATA has come a long way to post such number.

Now my expectations are from Safari. I wish they should have launched a 4x4 variant which TATA stable desperately needs. Kudos!
uditsharma01 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 16:36   #75
Team-BHP Support

Note: Thar figures added. Graphs changed accordingly.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks