Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 19:50   #16
BHPian

Re: December 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

For all the hype, poor Magnite only managed 560 units in the first month of it's launch? That's kind of disheartening, especially looking at how lucratively priced a product it is. Or Maybe Nissan is holding back deliveries until January? But then what's the point of launching the car in December itself?
Skorp_Knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 20:15   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorp_Knight View Post
For all the hype, poor Magnite only managed 560 units in the first month of it's launch? That's kind of disheartening, especially looking at how lucratively priced a product it is. Or Maybe Nissan is holding back deliveries until January? But then what's the point of launching the car in December itself?
Most customers who booked a new car in December wanted to have 2021 made car. Including myself. Also sales person told me that production will start fully only in January.
Anxiousblock is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 20:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
No sales/ dispatch data for Mahindra Thar for Dec 2020

What's that Mahindra is trying to hide ?
If we check the last graph of post#4, Thar did approx. 2500 - 2700 units. Also in first table of post#6, the category "Lifestyle Offroader" with 2670 units seems like Thar category.
museycal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 20:58   #19

What happened to Kia? Numbers down to ~5.6k from ~9.2k for Seltos. Is it due to GNCAP ratings or quality control lapses that are being seen now or combination of both or any other reason? Sonet too lost half of its numbers.
Polo seems to gain in large percentage. Could it be due automatic plus year end discounts?
560 dispatches for Magnite is not a huge number when compared to the ~30k initial bookings. Could be due to delayed dispatches. May be the next few months will reveal its performance.
No sales for Thar?

Last edited by amarendernag : 11th January 2021 at 21:21.
amarendernag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
What happened to the Sonet? Almost 50% drop from last month - production line woes or over-enthusiastic dispatches in the previous months? Seltos saw a significant drop too.
KIA has announced impending price hike for Sonet. Also, these are factory dispatches. Dealers network may have had existing 2020 make stocks which were allowed to be exhausted in Dec 2020.

The numbers are surely going to rebound in January 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Nissan - Only 560 Magnite? I guess they don't have faith in their own product. They should have started deliveries with bang when it is launched with so much expectations. Missed opportunity i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorp_Knight View Post
From what I can think, originally Magnite was planned for the festive season, however due to COVID, the plans got delayed.

I too don't understand the logic behind launching in December and then showing poor dispatch figures. This won't infuse confidence in potential buyers. I am unable to recall any other vehicle launch in month of December. But then when has Nissan been logical in it's approach for Indian market.

That said, these dispatch numbers most likely comprise of display and test drive vehicles. Customers' vehicles will surely be 2021 make. Another thing holding back Magnite numbers might be slow ramp-up due to stringent quality checks, to avoid any goof-ups in this last ditch efforts.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:33   #21
BHPian

Can we remove cars that are no more available for sale? D2 segment may see the highest impact.
hrishig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Dec. 2020 threw up some surprises. Sonet falling to 50 per cent of its sales? And, even Nexon passing it in sales? Have Nexon's safety ratings started weighing in? Venue sales upswing is also a surprise. Looks like Hyundai launched new i20 at those prices to push up Venue sales and it worked. It makes much better sense to buy Venue than new i20 at those prices. And, is no one going to talk about a 22-year-old Wagon R still doing crazy numbers?
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiousblock View Post
Most customers who booked a new car in December wanted to have 2021 made car. Including myself. Also sales person told me that production will start fully only in January.
Well this is exactly what I heard at the Nissan dealership last month, most of the cars dispatched are actually demo/test drive cars vehicles. Per the dealership customer deliveries are starting from Jan'21 onwards.
tj123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 21:57   #24

Quote:
KIA has announced impending price hike for Sonet.
If this is the case, shouldn't Hyundai too exhibit similar pattern in sales by holding back dispatches as they are related companies?
May be there is something more to Kia?

Last edited by amarendernag : 11th January 2021 at 22:16.
Old 12th January 2021, 06:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarendernag View Post
If this is the case, shouldn't Hyundai too exhibit similar pattern in sales by holding back dispatches as they are related companies?
May be there is something more to Kia?
I think we are tying up Hyundai and Kia more than necessary. They are independent companies in every aspect. As clarified earlier, Kia dealers had enough stocks in December and factory dispatch was rationalised . If you see the FADA sales posted for December, Kia sold 17.9K cars ( that does not include all of India).

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 12th January 2021 at 06:37.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:45   #26
BHPian

Following trends of Dec 2020, PV sales are quite interesting and I would request Team-Bhp members to share their hypothesis behind these trends -

Observation 1 - Creta, Seltos and Sonet sales down by 12%, 39% and 48% respectively. However, sales of Brezza shot up by 56% to 12.2K, Venue by 33% to 12K and Nexon by 14%.

So few questions here -

a.) Is Maruti's strategy of Petrol only actually paying off and customers are indeed choosing petrol?

b.) How can we explain high sales of a relatively old Venue versus new Creta, Seltos and Sonet? Is it discounts? Is it impact of GNCAP crash ratings? Any other factor that you think?

Observation 2 - New i20 is selling in similar numbers to old i20; actually declined by 12% from Nov to Dec. However, Baleno and Altroz witness a marginal growth in same period.

So my questions are -

a.) Did Hyundai change the i20 generation earlier than required as sales boost is not clearly evident?

b.) Is there a capacity max out for I20 at Hyundai plant and they do not plan to add to it?

c.) Overall have the quality and safety issues started hurting Hyundai? Because I believe a person buying Maruti is very clear of poor safety traits but a Hyundai owner gives a benefit of doubt on safety.

There are further interesting insights however I do not want to discuss them here as it will make a mess of this post and hence focused on most important ones.
steadfast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarendernag View Post
What happened to Kia? Numbers down to ~5.6k from ~9.2k for Seltos. Is it due to GNCAP ratings or quality control lapses that are being seen now or combination of both or any other reason? Sonet too lost half of its numbers.
There have been 17,900 vehicle sales(registrations) for KIA for the month of the December as per the FADA data.

It is hard to believe that GNCAP has any effect on KIA's sales, by looking at the actual registration numbers.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:56   #28
BHPian

Hector beats Innova 2 months in a row! Gloster and Endeavor pushing down Fortuner's market share in their segment.

Maybe time for Toyota to finally stop overinflating their prices.
pavanmadhini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 11:09   #29
BHPian

Kia sees a significant decline in Factory dispatches, however, registration data by FADA shows almost twice the number of registration.

I think in December they have done very little factory dispatch (As someone mentioned their plant was shut for maintenance from 15th December), but dealers had sufficient stock to release.

Tata is doing wonders with Altroz, and it's great to see Tata grow. I bought Indica Vista in 2010 and loved the car for it's space and driving dynamics, however, the product was a big let-down due to poor service. Hopefully Tata will now take care of their new customers better.
Mountainman21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 11:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
I too don't understand the logic behind launching in December and then showing poor dispatch figures. This won't infuse confidence in potential buyers. I am unable to recall any other vehicle launch in month of December. But then when has Nissan been logical in it's approach for Indian market.
How many of the so called potential customers will watch the monthly sales figure. Only a few people like us follow the sales numbers. Nissan has garnered 32000 bookings within hardly two months of announcement. I hope that is a fair number to understand customer interest and confidence.

Meanwhile, Tata is currently on a dream run. The HBX and Altroz Turbo launch will help them to up the game again.

Honda needs some more relevant products to accelerate their sales. May be a 1.5 iVtec on WRV atleast as an option!

Great to see that Scorpio still has good demand even at these times.

Last edited by albertprince : 12th January 2021 at 11:11.
albertprince is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks