Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 11:36   #31
BHPian

Re: December 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Not at all surprised by Maruti. They know the Indian small car segment too well. Their dealers and staff were working overtime to fufill the delivery commitments in December (I got my car delivered at 9:30pm ). Even the plant was in full swing when other companies shut down due to maintenance. Despite of all the bashing you gotta give it to them!!

Don't know how a company like Ford can get to such a dismal spot. No automatics in Figo/Aspire/Freestyle lineup?? A very laidback approach by top leaders is all I can see in their fiasco. Don't see them fighting back now. Sad to see them perform like this bacuse this is one company that has a good balance of reliability, build and driving pleasure.

Proud of TATA. Would like to own one of their cars someday. My current priority in both my recent purchases was reliability and hence gave them a miss.

Kia numbers do not seem to be influenced by recent QC issues as most people outside of this forum are still aloof about it. I shared these instances with a few folks who bought Hyundai/Kia cars in December but they were not concerned due to 5 year "wonder warranty" and the feelgood factor of their cars. Good job Kia/Hyundai for the consistent sales despite of all the negative publicity!
Maverick Avi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 11:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Now XL6 also selling more numbers than Innova. Insane pricing by Toyota to blame here. Cab people are not able to afford Innova anymore for taxi business. Initial investment is too high and very difficult to get good returns from it. Hope Toyota will learn a lesson from it.
aniketi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:02   #33
BHPian

It is so amazing to see the same old story being repeated month after month after month. This shows 3 things.

1st - There are manufacturers lie Kia, MG, Hyundai which are cut above others in their marketing skills.

2nd - There are manufacturers like VW, Skoda, Tata, Jeep, Ford which despite making better cars are poor in their marketing skills.

3rd - There are manufacturers like Nissan, Renault which have neither good cars, nor good marketing team.

* Editors note - Team bhp readers do not constitute any meaningful chunk of car buyers in India. Here we can fill up forums by mentioning poor build quality of Seltos, Poor driving dynamics of Hector, How well 2020 Harrier has evolved, Altroz having 5 stars, Jeep Compass being so good in build quality and ride and handling, Nexon having great road stability, Engine heating issues in Seltos.... The list wil go on.

People are and will buy cars which has good marketing teams. "Internet inside", " Badass SUV", "Brit Dynamics", Mood lighting, Air purifier, ....the list goes on and it will sell. Manufacturers will continue to dish out tin cans with DRLs and Sunroofs to people until there is a law in place which forces these manufacturers to prioritize safety over anything else. Till then there is no point analyzing month on month data. This is going to be same.

Last edited by Roadster17 : 12th January 2021 at 12:03.
Roadster17 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

People are reading too much into the NCAP rating that Kia got. No real buyer is swayed by that, the story was memory holed in a week or so. 7 of the top ten are from Maruti, the majority of buyers don't care about safety ratings.

My Sonet delivery is delayed by 6 weeks due to plant closure. There is no alternative for a buyer looking for a diesel automatic in the segment.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster17 View Post

2nd - There are manufacturers like VW, Skoda, Tata, Jeep, Ford which despite making better cars are poor in their marketing skills.
TATA's Marketing Department is making great strides in conducting smart/on point/meaningful (or call whatever!) campaigns across various mediums covering multiple touchpoints. Look how the safety campaigns for Altroz and Nexon(?) have worked in their favour.
TATA trolling Hyundai and Maruti adds a bit of chivalrous mix in their campaigns.
Most importantly, the recent Safari resurrection campaign, I'm sure, has created a ton of euphoria in the potential buyers' segment.

Ford did try to run a sync'd campaign across various mediums when it had launched Aspire/Figo in about 2015-16. The tagline was 'Family Wali Feeling'. It did help in changing the then general prevailing perception that Ford is an expensive brand to own. However, Ford couldn't cash in on the campaign, and despite a very competent product in Aspire, it couldn't challenge Amaze, forget the DZire.
- This is a case of an inefficient marketing campaign to promote a very competent product.

IIRC, when Vento was launched in 2010, VW had ran a very unique/out of box campaign, where in an audio clip was attached to Times of India newspapers for about a month or so. It did generate a lot of interest/hype around the vehcle, and Vento did have good sales numbers to prove the campaign was a successful one for VW.

Regards,
Jigar Shah
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:24   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Hector beats Innova 2 months in a row! Gloster and Endeavor pushing down Fortuner's market share in their segment.
Totally out of context comparing Hector to Innova. It’s like comparing Harrier (5 seater) sales to Innova. We should compare only Hector-Plus sales number with Innova. If we consider that, then Innova leads hands down.

MG tried to rival the mighty Innova with the Hector-plus and came nowhere near competing and lagged well behind. Let’s see if Hector-plus 7 seater will make any difference in coming months.
Napalm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:45   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I am so happy for Tata.

At the same time, I feel bad for the unsuspecting first time Tata buyers. Buyers migrating from Maruti/Hyundai/Honda might buy the modern Tatas for their design, safety and value. But majority of them will definitely feel the mediocrity in Tata's QC and after sales & service support.

C2 sedan space is dwindling. All blame onto manufacturers, having created so many segments below the C2 space and pushing the ex showroom price to 10+ lakhs.
When you think about it, why would anyone spend 3 more lakhs on a Verna while you get the same space, quality, engine and transmission options in the New i20?

The 9.99 lakhs ex-showroom is where value for money ends.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
Totally out of context comparing Hector to Innova. It’s like comparing Harrier (5 seater) sales to Innova. We should compare only Hector-Plus sales number with Innova. If we consider that, then Innova leads hands down.

MG tried to rival the mighty Innova with the Hector-plus and came nowhere near competing and lagged well behind. Let’s see if Hector-plus 7 seater will make any difference in coming months.
Not really - I am also looking for an SUV in the 15-25 lakh budget and am considering both 5 seater and 7 seater options. There is a fair amount of cross-shopping in this segment. Infact, I was purely referring to the D1 segment as defined in the TeamBHP report's graphs. Innova has been on top for last 8-10 months before November, and it lost it's crown to Hector. As simple as that.
pavanmadhini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:19   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Not really - I am also looking for an SUV in the 15-25 lakh budget and am considering both 5 seater and 7 seater options. There is a fair amount of cross-shopping in this segment. Infact, I was purely referring to the D1 segment as defined in the TeamBHP report's graphs. Innova has been on top for last 8-10 months before November, and it lost it's crown to Hector. As simple as that.
I think you are right - In 2019 before Hector 5 seater launched Innova was selling roughly 2 times the numbers it has now. It sure needs a panoramic sunroof, DCT and a small turbo petrol. I wonder what these additions would do to an XL6 - Maruti, you listening?
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:46   #40
BHPian

Tiguan's sales have picked up really well. Were there substantial discounts of late? Among the 1000 units of T-Roc, still 83 units remain unsold.

It is also heartening to see Tata's sales improving in every segment.
Old 12th January 2021, 13:50   #41
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2021 at 07:56.
abnormalspirit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th January 2021, 14:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Just like I predicted earlier, Gloster marches ahead of Endeavour. It's just the perfect family vehicle, and can gobble up miles on the highway like nobody's business.

I am surprised many predicted it to flop. Would be interesting to see the fight between the Fortuner facelift and Gloster. Ford- Hope you have a revival in the segment soon.
Old 12th January 2021, 14:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I am so happy for Tata.

At the same time, I feel bad for the unsuspecting first time Tata buyers. Buyers migrating from Maruti/Hyundai/Honda might buy the modern Tatas for their design, safety and value. But majority of them will definitely feel the mediocrity in Tata's QC and after sales & service support.
May be a hit and miss true. But having seen my brother's four years of niggle and stress free Tiago ownership, I would want to trust they have improved. In Bangalore I struggle getting the car out of Hyundai service centre for over an hour pre corona times, not even considering the mediocre but expensive service quality. So, ya some places Tata has improved, and can still improve. But not like other manufacturers are saints and have everything sorted. The mediocrity in the Korean twins QA has been very visible in the TBHPs threads recently too. From the times of my Manza where even the windows used to not roll up, to Tiago the change in QC and quality is visible. I would not term it mediocre anymore, especially considering the competition!
Cheers
Raghuveer
Raghuwire is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:31   #44

Another rumor which further accentuated TATA stocks by 13℅:

The rumor of a JV b/w the Big T's (Tata & Tesla) with Tesla apparently assessing TATA to be the domestic leader in terms of EV Infra & know-how.

https://m.economictimes.com/markets/...w/80214343.cms
Predator_ONE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:53   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Car Sales in India for the Year 2020 – Maruti manages to grab 50% Market Share!

- Even without diesel model in its portfolio, Maruti managed to sneak in Market Share of 50% for CY2020!

December 2020 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-oemwisecarsales2020.jpg

Link
Closed Thread

Most Viewed